St. Mary's Internet

officeguy

For some reason, the Verizon DSL is not available on the island. Not much of anything is, except for Metrocast (which we have on house and apartment building, cottage) and Broadivew, which we have for the shop/office. The data side of the Broadview service (they provide all our phone lines too) is going to be about 700/month when it is upgraded to 10 MB. Yep....ouch!

In some office buildings, you can get 'fractional T1', you share a T1 circuit with other subscribers and your cost goes down to something like $400/month ;-)

These days, you don't get a T1 for the speed, you get it for the rock-solid connection compared with consumer grade cable or DSL.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
In some office buildings, you can get 'fractional T1', you share a T1 circuit with other subscribers and your cost goes down to something like $400/month ;-)

These days, you don't get a T1 for the speed, you get it for the rock-solid connection compared with consumer grade cable or DSL.

That is not an option for us...there is nobody to "share" it with. ;-) But you nailed the reason why we payed to get the T1 line in the first place..reliability. When we started out back in 1999 we tried to rely on cable for our internet service and that was a mess.

glhs837

Power with Control
What are some of the options out there where you can have internet and an adaptor to watch tv with? Like a firestick or something?

Well, there's that, the Amazon FireStick, also Googles ChromeCast, and the Roku. All of which use WiFi or a plugged in internet connection to allow you to access the whole spectrum of streaming services.

http://www.networkworld.com/article...ree-popular-internet-tv-streaming-sticks.html

We had a Roku, but since over 90% of our viewing was Netflix, with a drib and drab over at Amazon, it was much easier to just use the PS3 for all our streaming. If you have a game console, it might be worth it to use that. Wifes cheapie $190ish tv for the bedroom came with a Roku stick installed and it works fine.

H

Hodr

Still all copper here on the island.

If you're patient, soon enough you will have a couple more viable alternatives. SpaceX has already applied for FCC permission to provide service from LEO satellites starting in 2016 (LEO at something like 1200km) which should be as fast or faster than current LTE speeds and will have very competitive latency to DSL/Cable.

Google's project Loon is also still advancing and may start trials in the US in the next FY. The final version is expected to work with unlicensed, white space, and licensed spectrum through partnerships with existing telcos (I.E. if there is no T-Mobile LTE in your area then they might license 1700Mhz). If run similar to their Google Fiber company, it is likely that they will provide free low speed (1-3Mb perhaps) connections and a much faster paid speed that is virtually ubiquitous. Combined with a VoIP solution like Google Voice and you have a completely free phone solution (at least domestically).

BernieP

Resident PIA
I have Metrocast, and have fiber to the house.

When did they upgrade the system to fiber? As far as I know the entire network is still copper, somehow doubt they ran a fiber line to your house from a copper trunk.
Looks like the only way to get Fiber from Metrocast is as a commercial / business service. Not sure if it's available in St. Mary's service area, but that's for the corporation as a whole.

Last edited:

sockgirl77

When did they upgrade the system to fiber? As far as I know the entire network is still copper, somehow doubt they ran a fiber line to your house from a copper trunk.
Looks like the only way to get Fiber from Metrocast is as a commercial / business service. Not sure if it's available in St. Mary's service area, but that's for the corporation as a whole.

They have been updating the system to fiber for the past 8 years. It's a slow process, but most new subdivisions and plant extensions are being done with fiber. :yay:

H

Hodr

They have been updating the system to fiber for the past 8 years. It's a slow process, but most new subdivisions and plant extensions are being done with fiber. :yay:

Just to clarify, this is fiber to the home, or fiber to the sub-division (and then broken out to copper)?

wubbles

With fiber, do you have some higher speed options available or just the advertised speeds on their site?

glhs837

Power with Control
Where about's in the county is that, DW? I have had other folks tell me they had fiber in newer subdivisions, based on what the builder told them, but in reality they didn't. So, if I go to Metrocasts website, they have no guidebooks for any equipment that appears to hook up to fiber, there's no FAQ for fiber customers. These are things I would expect to see if they offered fiber.

sockgirl77

Where about's in the county is that, DW? I have had other folks tell me they had fiber in newer subdivisions, based on what the builder told them, but in reality they didn't. So, if I go to Metrocasts website, they have no guidebooks for any equipment that appears to hook up to fiber, there's no FAQ for fiber customers. These are things I would expect to see if they offered fiber.

Regardless of the fact that you are not seeing what you think there needs to be on their website, there really is fiber TO THE HOME in St. Mary's. I'm almost positive that Broad Creek, Leonard's Grant, and Abell's Run all have it. I know that one of the Snowhill Manor Roads has it.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member

They ran fiber down Medley's Neck Rd. and down the street I live on.
This happened over a couple of years ago.

glhs837

Power with Control
Regardless of the fact that you are not seeing what you think there needs to be on their website, there really is fiber TO THE HOME in St. Mary's. I'm almost positive that Broad Creek, Leonard's Grant, and Abell's Run all have it. I know that one of the Snowhill Manor Roads has it.

Just seems that a rollout of such a thing wouldn't be be kept so quiet. I know the feds and state rolled fiber down Route 235 and 5 as part of the One Maryland Broadband Initiative, but that deal was just for educational "anchor" institutions, no private tie-ins allowed. Maybe that's changed, but last time I talked to them, they said there were no plans to allow private companies access to the fiber backbone. If one of the Snow Hills have it. my road should be able to get it, since I'm right in the middle of all three.

http://doit.maryland.gov/ombn/Documents/St. Mary's County - COMPLETE.pdf

sockgirl77

Just seems that a rollout of such a thing wouldn't be be kept so quiet. I know the feds and state rolled fiber down Route 235 and 5 as part of the One Maryland Broadband Initiative, but that deal was just for educational "anchor" institutions, no private tie-ins allowed. Maybe that's changed, but last time I talked to them, they said there were no plans to allow private companies access to the fiber backbone. If one of the Snow Hills have it. my road should be able to get it, since I'm right in the middle of all three.

http://doit.maryland.gov/ombn/Documents/St. Mary's County - COMPLETE.pdf

It wasn't kept quiet. Do a forum search. Do a Google search. It has been discussed SEVERAL times before in here.

As I've stated before there IS fiber to the home in parts of the county and MetroCast's fiber system will only continue to grow. I know this for a FACT. I was a part of drawing up the plans when it all started. :yay:

glhs837

Power with Control
Yes, been lots of talk about it, but oddly enough, nothing ever said official, just yep, thought I saw fiber trucks, which was happening a lot around the time the OMBN program was installing. Usually, when fiber rolls out there are press releases. When I search Metrocast and fiber, I get a ton of hits from rollout press releases, but none from this area. I'm open to outside source factual stuff, but I can't find anything.