St. Mary's teachers want to "work to rule"

awpitt

Main Streeter
It is totally a "union" thing. Whose rules are they working to. The union rules. Non-union workers cannot get a hair up their butt and tell their employers I am not going to do anything but what is exactly in my job description, no matter what is necessary to get the job done. They would be fired. The teachers can because they are protected by unions and the unions are the ones telling them to "work to rule".

No. They "work to" the terms of their contract.

Clem_Shady

The teachers will fulfill the terms of their contract and no more. They will the work the stipulated number of hours they are required to work. They will not stay late or go in early. They will not take papers home to grade. They will not check their work email or make work related phone calls after hours.

Don't Federal Government employees have a union?

:popcorn:

awpitt

Main Streeter
So work to the rule is where the teachers do the work they agreed to do in their contract. And people have a problem with that?

That's just it. Anyone who's involved in the kids' schools knows that teachers are in early and often stay late and folks become used to that. Take for granted that teachers have to work those hours. Working to rule is just a little reminder that most teachers work beyond what's required on a daily basis.

Clem_Shady

Here' where I have a problem with teachers' unions, are they professionals, salaried employees or hourly labor?
I was taught that a "professional" recieved a salary to get the job done. If that meant working some casual overtime then so be it. Casual overtime was covered by your salary. I have worked for companies that have "required" casual overtime - salary quoted on a 40 hour work week, paid overtime was hours authorized in excess of 45 or 48 hours in the week.
As a professional I didn't belong to a union, I negotiated my own contract, my compensation was based on my credentials and the market, not by leveraging public opinion.

Back to work to rule. That is their right, if that's what they feel they must do, then so be it. They have to look at themselves in the mirror and decide if they are a professional or just another hourly employee, just like the custodial staff.

Can you explain the Department of Labor's rules on making someone's position a salaried one?

:whistle:

Clem_Shady

That's just it. Anyone who's involved in the kids' schools knows that teachers are in early and often stay late and folks become used to that. Take for granted that teachers have to work those hours. Working to rule is just a little reminder that most teachers work beyond what's required on a daily basis.

Not only that, there's a lot of things that parents and even students do along side of the teachers working extra hours that make all the extra-curricular activities, clubs etc. a success.

:coffee:

Last edited:

awpitt

Main Streeter
Which is a "Union" contract.
Actually, it's not a union as they do not have the power to strike. Some states do allow teachers unions. West Virginia is one of them. Maryland is not. The contract is a legally binding document between the teachers' association and the BOE.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Not only that, there's a lot thing that parents and even students do along side of the teachers working extra hours that make all the extra-curricular activities, clubs etc. a success.

:coffee:

I know from first hand experience that this is very true.

laynpipe

It is totally a "union" thing. Whose rules are they working to. The union rules. Non-union workers cannot get a hair up their butt and tell their employers I am not going to do anything but what is exactly in my job description, no matter what is necessary to get the job done. They would be fired. The teachers can because they are protected by unions and the unions are the ones telling them to "work to rule".

i think you are looking at things a bit twisted. yes, there is a union there. however, if there was not, there are still laws that protect employees from employer abuse. it is a very regular occurance that an employee sues an employer and wins their job back, after being fired for things like "working to the letter of a job description."

you need to look past your feelings about unions and look at the bigger picture. again, the children and their future are the bigger picture here. set aside what ever feelings you have regarding unions and bring the children to the fore front of this conversation.

Pete

Repete
Just remember, the work to "rule" are union rules. The same unions that have totally screwed up public education.

The county government wrote the contract so why isn't it a "government rule"? Besides even bat#### crazy people like Clem are right sometimes. Just because they are bat#### crazy doesn't mean everything they say is wrong or bad.

drivingdaisy

:(

I think teachers are very undervalued in this country and it is sad. I think sometimes teachers unions cause problems, but they are not THE problem. The problems begin with our priorities and values in the a lot of the country. Teachers in the United States tend to work more than teachers in other countries and get paid less (especially compared to what they rest of the country is making). I know there are exceptions to everything... but most teachers are very hard workers who go above and beyond any contract. It's not surprising that they have gotten frustrated after years feeling like they get second rate treatment.

Interesting read (I do like a good bar graph)

Teacher Pay Around the World - NYTimes.com

ftcret

If it really is about the 'children' then how about the people we pay a salary (or wage) to educate them formally do just that. Don't threaten learning stoppages or slowdowns. Do what needs to be done. How many times are we going to hear about some teacher, who got into the profession for the joy teaching, whimper and whine about how they deserve more money, more benefits, more technology, more, more, more to do the job or else they will walk off the job. I say go. You obviously arent doing your job, look at the rate of dropouts and educational standings worldwide. We really couldn't do much worse without you.:coffee:

Pete

Repete
Teachers complaining about their pay, hmmmm. Wish I could get paid for sitting at home on snow days, get the summer off, winter & spring breaks, and paid holidays. WTF, it seems the're off more then they work. I say if you don't like your job or salary then get another one. I'm sure there is someone out there who needs a job and would be appreciative to have one.

You can, go to the college, major in education, take a test, get hired, sit in a class full of kids that span the spectrum from the spawn of Satan to Sandra Dee's angelic daughter, deal with parents who are completely convinced that you are the center of a giant conspiracy to #### their brilliant child because you gave their child a 70 on a test.

Clem_Shady

If it really is about the 'children' then how about the people we pay a salary (or wage) to educate them formally do just that. Don't threaten learning stoppages or slowdowns. Do what needs to be done. How many times are we going to hear about some teacher, who got into the profession for the joy teaching, whimper and whine about how they deserve more money, more benefits, more technology, more, more, more to do the job or else they will walk off the job. I say go. You obviously arent doing your job, look at the rate of dropouts and educational standings worldwide. We really couldn't do much worse without you.:coffee:

What were you thoughts when the air traffic controllers walked out?

Firefighters?

:killingme

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
teachers are the very group that mold our children into productive adults.

:bs: This is exactly what is wrong with students today. They are in school to learn, not be "molded". Parents are the ones responsible for "molding".

Last edited:

Clem_Shady

You can, go to the college, major in education, take a test, get hired, sit in a class full of kids that span the spectrum from the spawn of Satan to Sandra Dee's angelic daughter, deal with parents who are completely convinced that you are the center of a giant conspiracy to #### their brilliant child because you gave their child a 70 on a test.

The biggest challenge that a teacher probably faces is the values a child brings into the classroom from their home environment/parents and how much attention the parent's pay to their kids education.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
The biggest challenge that a teacher probably faces is the values a child brings into the classroom from their home environment/parents and how much attention the parent's pay to their kids education.

:dingding:

ftcret

What were you thoughts when the air traffic controllers walked out?

Firefighters?

:killingme

The bus stops everyday, someone gets off that bus that WANTS that job, will do that job as well as or better than it has been done before and will be glad to do it. Kind of like a VFD works, people come together. Air Traffic controllers? Ever been at a stop light that fails? is there a cartoon pileup of vehicles 50 feet high or do the drivers work out a system. When Reagan fired the ACs in the 80s were there mass crashlandings? No. I am sorry, what was your point?