Stars and Bars

SG_Player1974

I don't think so, but if you find a symbol of hate, which was used to intimidate and frighten a class of people, then I would say yes, ask them to remove it from any tax payer funded flag pole.

So when will the Native American petition to remove the stars and stripes be on CNN, Fox News, etc.? :whistle:

LtownTaxpayer

So when will the Native American petition to remove the stars and stripes be on CNN, Fox News, etc.? :whistle:

Removal of the National Flag has already been mentioned - but not by the native Americans. It was brought up by Louis Farrakhan because of the oppression that blacks have experienced under it. Exactly what I meant when I asked for common sense to be brought to this issue. Louis Farrakhan knows how to throw gasoline, but I'm not sure how much he knows about positive change.

inkah

I can see the argument from both sides. Some people probably don't even care about the flag but think removing it completely sets a bad precedent. I think if someone wants it flying in their yard that is their right but I can see why it shouldn't fly over government buildings unless there is some historical significance to the building, ex. it was used by the confederacy for something historically significant. Personally the flag doesn't offend me and if they take it down it doesn't affect me. Maybe one day they will call for a ban on something I care strongly enough about to join protests and speak out, but this isn't one of them.

I wonder if race makes a difference in how folks feel. I did ask the question in a mixed setting and was surprised at the feedback. For me personally, I could care less and I don't understand the attachment, so I say take it down.

inkah

Suddenly black people everywhere care deeply about this piece of fabric. I don't get it. <-- See it works both ways.

Remove the reference to color from that statement and it would be more accurate. Nobody was outraged until they were told they should be.

mmm....agree for the most part. But it seems to me the "black" argument for offense is heaps a lot more valid. To me, that is understandable.

And I agree, it seems to have become a supportable issue recently b/c of some nutjob who apparently claimed for evil what some ppl think of as an innocent symbol. But then, it is a shame to think that a large majority of our unified country have been quietly offended for a very long time. A symbol isn't worth the humiliation, shame and degredation of a race of people - IF that is what is actually happening.

I would give more weight to the hurting than I would to some honky tonk who simply has special feelings about rwb X's.

And as to offense, being offended by slavery is pretty legit as I see it. Being offended that some obscure public bldg. you've never been to no longer has your specially colored fabric waving in the breeze is UTTERLY RIDICULOUS. imho, of course.

PJay

From Honorable Allen West's Facebook:

"Yippee, the Confederate battle flag has now been removed from the grounds of the South Carolina State Capitol. And, just like that, it solves the problem of black-on-black crime and killings. Now we’ll see the out-of-wedlock birthrate in the black community drop from 75%. There will be better educational opportunities and schools in South Carolina’s black communities and all across America. The black unemployment rate will drop —especially the almost 40% black teenage unemployment rate. We’ll now see an economic entrepreneurial boon in the inner cities because the Confederate battle flag’s been lowered. And there’ll be no more gangs of blacks beating on whites — as we saw in Ohio recently. Yep, the liberal progressive media shouted "squirrel" and an entire nation went a running. All the yelling and shouting by the crowds was evidence of those who lack grace, respect and dignity. Former South Carolina Gamecocks football coach Lou Holtz remarked that when you get to the end zone, you should act like you’ve been there before. So what does the lowering of the Confederate battle flag have to do with the killing of little seven-year-old Amari Brown in Chicago — anyone know when his funeral is?"

Note: Copied this from another section on the forum a member posted.

Last edited:

bilbur

There has been a call on Facebook and Twitter for people to go on to private property and tear down confederate flags. This, to me, seems like an idiotic thing to do and I can't imagine it ending well. Don't the people that would be foolhardy enough to do something like this know that, for the most part, the same ones that fly that flag are the people that will protect their property by any means necessary i.e. with a gun. Remember people, you have the right to demand something be removed from government property but you never have the right to remove or vandalize something on public property. This movement is going to get someone killed.

RPMDAD

Kid Rock and Uncle Ted are working on that question at this very moment...

Anyone offended by the display of the flag at their concerts, can just exercise their right not to buy a ticket to their concert. I personally don't think it will affect the concert attendance much.

Kinnakeet

I don't think so, but if you find a symbol of hate, which was used to intimidate and frighten a class of people, then I would say yes, ask them to remove it from any tax payer funded flag pole.

How is a symbol of hate?

Kinnakeet

Removal of the National Flag has already been mentioned - but not by the native Americans. It was brought up by Louis Farrakhan because of the oppression that blacks have experienced under it. Exactly what I meant when I asked for common sense to be brought to this issue. Louis Farrakhan knows how to throw gasoline, but I'm not sure how much he knows about positive change.

farrakhan,sharpton,jackson...etc,etc they exsploit negros for profit that is all they care about.