Stella!!

DEEKAYPEE8569

his reference was not to legislative or voting districts.

In other states school districts are not bound by political subdivision, one or more townships, towns, cities can incorporate a school district.
They do have to be contiguous.

These school districts have their own taxing authority (usually real estate) and an independently elected school board.
They are not bound to the local government.

This allows independence, in more rural areas the district can encompass more townships or a county
incorporated towns can retain their own school system for historical purposes or choose to join surrounding areas based on their economic requirements.

The county i grew up in had probably over a dozen school districts, running from very small districts that covered a town, to districts that had to have multiple high schools because they grew so large over the years (farmland became suburbia)

the county only provided a forum for districts to share resources, particularly for special needs and tech center.
All other operating decisions were made by the superintendent or school board.

:doh:

catlingirl

I remember when I was in H.S (I went to Northern "back in the day.") I remember they had a snow day and by 10am the snowflake deep worth was snow was gone because St. Leonard south got the brunt of the snow (I think 6/7"). Since Calvert (and St. Mary's to some extent) is a long skinny county were you can get a HUGE difference in weather between Dunkirk and Solomon's (like what I mentioned). I am not sure why Calvert (or even St. Mary's) can't do like some other Maryland counties do and have districts within the county. So the whole county does not need to make up a snow day because lets say the Patuxent H.S District got 10" of snow, but Northern H.S district got 1" and could have gotten away with maybe a 2 hr. delay.

Ok this may sound stupid but I'm thinking that kids from some of the other high schools travel to the CTA by Calvert High on a daily basis and the fact the buses go to different schools also,maybe thats why they do what they do as far as closures,etc for Calvert County.And I heard the teachers are scattered throughout the county and other counties that go to schools not close by. But I could be wrong.

officeguy

His reference was not to legislative or voting districts.

In other states school districts are not bound by political subdivision, one or more townships, towns, cities can incorporate a school district.
They do have to be contiguous.

These school districts have their own taxing authority (usually real estate) and an independently elected school board.
They are not bound to the local government.

This allows independence, in more rural areas the district can encompass more townships or a county
Incorporated towns can retain their own school system for historical purposes or choose to join surrounding areas based on their economic requirements.

The county I grew up in had probably over a dozen school districts, running from very small districts that covered a town, to districts that had to have multiple high schools because they grew so large over the years (farmland became suburbia)

The county only provided a forum for districts to share resources, particularly for special needs and tech center.
All other operating decisions were made by the superintendent or school board.

One of the few things I like about MD are the countywide school districts. If you want to see a mess, look at PA or NJ. Those small districts sound cute, in reality they have high administrative overhead and poor ratios of total teachers to teachers in classrooms. The high-schools are often too small to offer academically important things like AP courses. In the big counties like PG, BC or MoCo I could see that splitting the district could make sense, but in the rural counties like Calvert or St Marys the countywide model is probably the best.