Stopped School Bus

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
I'm gonna get one of those nail strips to throw out in the road when our school bus puts her flashers on.

A flat tire 1/2 mile down the road will maybe teach them not to run thru those lights.

And I'll ride past them and laugh.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
What's brave is trying to cross that road when the lights are flashing and cars are supposed to stop, but don't.

Wouldn't be so bad if he didn't have to cross the road. St. Andrews Church Road. Everyone drives recklessly there.

stgislander

PREMO Member
What's brave is trying to cross that road when the lights are flashing and cars are supposed to stop, but don't.

Wouldn't be so bad if he didn't have to cross the road. St. Andrews Church Road. Everyone drives recklessly there.
I've almost run the bus lights twice on Great Mills Rd. I keep forgetting no matter how many lanes, there's no median strip so I have to stop too.

I don't have that issue on normal 2-lane roads because my head's on a swivel.

SamSpade

I've almost run the bus lights twice on Great Mills Rd. I keep forgetting no matter how many lanes, there's no median strip so I have to stop too.

I don't have that issue on normal 2-lane roads because my head's on a swivel.
Evidently I DID pass a bus - way up on 235/5 just a few miles south of Mattawoman/Beantown road.

Seems that if a bus stops with flashing lights - on the opposite side of a four lane divided highway - you still have to stop.

That makes no sense - the point of it is to ensure the safety of children - there's no chance a bus would ever stop knowing the children would have to go across 3-4 lanes of a highway with a divider in the middle. That's insane.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Seems that if a bus stops with flashing lights - on the opposite side of a four lane divided highway - you still have to stop.
Was there a physical barrier or median dividing the highway? If so, the law used to be you didn't have to stop.

OccamsRazor

Interesting though. Why are school buses allowed to stop and let children on/off the bus on State Highways? Other places that I have lived, buses had to turn on to residential roads to stop and allow children to board or exit.

SamSpade

Interesting though. Why are school buses allowed to stop and let children on/off the bus on State Highways? Other places that I have lived, buses had to turn on to residential roads to stop and allow children to board or exit.
I think it's crazy - BUT - I also know we have a roughly unique situation where we pretty much just have two highways running through the county (Calvert is worse - it's just ONE). A LOT of people will be living RIGHT OFF that road, albeit possibly down a shared driveway or gravel road. The bus ain't going there.

OccamsRazor

I think it's crazy - BUT - I also know we have a roughly unique situation where we pretty much just have two highways running through the county (Calvert is worse - it's just ONE). A LOT of people will be living RIGHT OFF that road, albeit possibly down a shared driveway or gravel road. The bus ain't going there.
My viewpoint is that the school bus is not a door service enterprise. I understand that people do not live on paved roads and are not "conveniently located" near a proper bus stop. But, can't these kids walk home from the bus stop? If not, can't parents/guardians/caretakers pick them up from the bus stop? For example in my scenario... if the child lives directly off of 235, why can't the bus turn on to the nearest side street, drop the child off, then turn around and get back onto 235 to the next side street? The child can then walk to their home from that bus stop or be picked up. Since when has the school bus system offered door service??

SamSpade

My viewpoint is that the school bus is not a door service enterprise. I understand that people do not live on paved roads and are not "conveniently located" near a proper bus stop. But, can't these kids walk home from the bus stop? If not, can't parents/guardians/caretakers pick them up from the bus stop? For example in my scenario... if the child lives directly off of 235, why can't the bus turn on to the nearest side street, drop the child off, then turn around and get back onto 235 to the next side street? The child can then walk to their home from that bus stop or be picked up. Since when has the school bus system offered door service??
My wife knows more about this than I do. When I was a kid, it was typical for a kid to walk about a half mile to 3/4 mile to the stop.
We always would tease the kid who LIVED right at the stop, because they were often LATE.

But I think there are rules about age and how far a kid must walk. Or how far, if accompanied.

What gets me is, on MY road - one of my daughters is typically the ONLY PERSON at the stop - and she STILL has to walk up the SAME STREET to where the county has decided her stop, is.

MANY years ago - my son who was 3 had to be picked up at the daycare - and there was a month long argument about what rules were violated for a daycare worker to leave kids underattended to walk him to the stop - OR - have the bus driver pull into the lot off the road. Again - someone made a dumbass rule.

I do think that if the bus driver had to drive down every one of these freaking roads to drop kids off, it would easily add a half hour to an already long trip. Waiting 70 minutes for your kid to get off the bus from the time school lets out is exasperating.

I AGREE that it is dumb to stop traffic on a major artery every few blocks and clog up traffic all morning. In fact, what they DO pisses me off, the most - when collecting kids from down a side road - in the morning they go to the end and pick them up on the way back - thus snarling traffic of drivers leaving for work, in the morning, who must now wait behind EVERY SINGLE STOP - if it were the OTHER way, they would pass - ONCE. AND - on the way home - typically drop them off on the way towards the END of the side street - doing the same thing as in the morning except in reverse - drivers returning home must NOW wait behind EVERY SINGLE STOP all the way to the end. When if they did it as done in the morning - it would happen ONCE. Doing it the sensible way changes NOTHING about their time driving - they just choose to do it the stupidest way possible.