Stores in SoMD to sell crafts

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
There were a lot of suggestions in your previous post.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB

She must not have liked them.

I know and appreciated it but I still have not found a place that's right for me and still looking.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Where can you rent a booth, month to month, to sell handmade products in the Southern Maryland area?
Here's an idea/thought, for you .... Whatever it is that you hand-make, why not proposition local small business owners with a store front, (that already sell similar or like items, that are not hand-made), to possibly purchase your goods at wholesale prices, or, carve out a space where your goods could be displayed? I'm sure that a small business owner, such as @frequentflier, when she had her business, would make such a deal with you. And when your items do sell, you can replenish at those businesses where sold. To me, it's a whole lot better going out for business, rather than, what could be, sitting and paying to be in a booth all day without a sale. And this way, your items are spread across a number of business locations that would see vastly more customer foot traffic than those walking past a booth.

Such as, if you make things marine related, you could possibly sell to the Calvert Marine Museum gift shop. There are plenty of opportunities out there and deals to be made, you just have to make them happen.

Also, wholesale = your material costs + your time + a small markup/margin. This gives the retail business owner pricing room in which to set a retail price above their wholesale cost to realize a profit for assisting you in selling your handmade goods. Just make sure that your wholesale pricing with the added margins for retail pricing, will not go higher than the prevailing costs of similar items; regardless of how special you may think your handmade items are because at the end, it is what sells that really matters.

If I may ...

Here's an idea/thought, for you .... Whatever it is that you hand-make, why not proposition local small business owners with a store front, (that already sell similar or like items, that are not hand-made), to possibly purchase your goods at wholesale prices, or, carve out a space where your goods could be displayed? I'm sure that a small business owner, such as @frequentflier, when she had her business, would make such a deal with you. And when your items do sell, you can replenish at those businesses where sold. To me, it's a whole lot better going out for business, rather than, what could be, sitting and paying to be in a booth all day without a sale. And this way, your items are spread across a number of business locations that would see vastly more customer foot traffic than those walking past a booth.

Such as, if you make things marine related, you could possibly sell to the Calvert Marine Museum gift shop. There are plenty of opportunities out there and deals to be made, you just have to make them happen.

Also, wholesale = your material costs + your time + a small markup/margin. This gives the retail business owner pricing room in which to set a retail price above their wholesale cost to realize a profit for assisting you in selling your handmade goods. Just make sure that your wholesale pricing with the added margins for retail pricing, will not go higher than the prevailing costs of similar items; regardless of how special you may think your handmade items are because at the end, it is what sells that really matters.
That is really alot of great info. Thanks so much.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
If I may ...

Here's an idea/thought, for you .... Whatever it is that you hand-make, why not proposition local small business owners with a store front, (that already sell similar or like items, that are not hand-made), to possibly purchase your goods at wholesale prices, or, carve out a space where your goods could be displayed? I'm sure that a small business owner, such as @frequentflier, when she had her business, would make such a deal with you.

That's what I tried to do with my cool idea to decorate and repurpose toilet and paper towel tubes as butt tubas. I even had a cool logo made up.

Didn't sell very many though. If I recall correctly, frequentflier closed her business like the day after I pitched her the idea.