Storm's a Comin'

NextJen

Raisin cane
Apparently this appears to be a derecho event,
I was a little curious why I haven’t heard the word derecho on the weather channel or any local weather forecasts I’ve heard. Wonder why this large line of storms doesn’t qualify?

eric14

I was a little curious why I haven’t heard the word derecho on the weather channel or any local weather forecasts I’ve heard. Wonder why this large line of storms doesn’t qualify?
Well it's not exactly a true derecho, but it seems oddly similar to one. Also there's a different between summer storms and ridiculous severe storms.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

Oh yeah. And there were many a summer, back in the late 60's, onward, that I can remember, when a storm was a com'in and dad would tell us all to open all the windows in the house 'case there be a tornado a com'in along with. Seems he was kinda a weather seer. Apparently, as the story goes he'd tell, is that with all the windows open, if'in a tornado did come on by, with all the windows open, the wind would pass thru instead of creating a vacuum sucking the house up like that of Dorothy's in the Wizard of Oz.

True story. Now, I don't know if in fact that this would work, seeing as no tornadoes came nowhere near the house. Maybe he said that to calm us kids during all that thunder and lighting and wind and heavy rains, dunno. But it sure made sense. Kinda stills does.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Just checked Weather Underground, almost all the storm activity has disappeared save the 8 PM hour.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Is that when the Dorocha come out?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Animation Weather GIF by Mashed

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
So, yeah - lightning and thunder started about 5 minutes ago. Glad I decided not to go to a meeting I was supposed to go to tonight. I didn't feel like getting caught out in whatever came our way. :jameo:

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Radar is pretty impressive. We're just on the tail end of the storm, probably not a big deal. But the storm extends from here all the way to upstate NY with a huge bow in New Jersey.
Capture5.JPG