Stray Friendly Young Boxer - HELP PLEASE

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
In another month, Boxy will have been a part of our rescue lives for 2 years. Sadly Boxy has had health issues with his ears. He gets very bad yeast infections, and because he won't let anyone put daily drops in his ears, he has to be sedated in order to have special packs placed in his ears, then rechecked in 2 weeks, and packs go in again (as was done today). Unfortunately Boxy has to be sedated to do any vet work to him. If you try to touch him in an invasive manner (ears, mouth, etc.) he will bite you. He bit the neighbor guy several times (the guy who somewhat adopted him - we have been sharing the care of Boxy).

Boxy has been in/out of the vet's office many times already this year. Each time he gets sedated, the packs are placed in his ears, he is given a reversal to the sedative, and he wakes up none the wiser. It's not about the money, as I'm sure we could find people willing to help pay Boxy's vet bill (close to $200 each time he goes in), the issue is with Boxy's quality of life. He is a wonderful dog that is bursting with love for everyone he meets, but he is also in pain most of the time due to his yeast ear infection issues. We are at a point that we are being asked by people close to Boxy whether or not he has the quality of life to go forward, or should we put him down.

Most of you who have read this thread have followed along from the first day I got the call about Boxy being a stray at Price Oil on Old Marlboro Pike in Upper Marlboro. Had Boxy gone to the shelter, they would have probably done a temperament test and he would have failed and been put down most likely. Those tests are done to protect people from dangerous behavior like we found with Boxy and his biting if his body was touched in certain places. We did not do any temperament testing as we don't have anyone skilled in that area. As Boxy's fear biting personality emerged, we realized that his adoption couldn't be an ordinary adoption. We would have to find someone who was very experienced with dogs to be able to handle this boy w/o anyone getting hurt.

Now we are faced with a hard decision. Either we find someone willing to work MORE with Boxy to see if he can get over his fear biting so he can be medicated on a daily basis (even that isn't a guarantee that he will be any better off), or we put Boxy down. I have known that putting Boxy down was a fact that I may have to face one day. I had hoped he would get better (health-wise and emotionally), and we wouldn't need to face that decision.

We love Boxy, and we think that his fear biting is probably from a bad experience he had with someone in his past. Two years later and he hasn't improved at all, and still tries to bite, and he is in pain frequently due to the ear infections. What do we do?

Last edited:

ontheriver

I know you have given so much to Boxy. It is a terrible decision to have to make, ... but only YOU can do it. No matter what you decide is best for him, I know you have given him what he never had. You gave him love. :huggy:

Last edited:

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
I would think about putting him to sleep ...

its sad...but living in fear is never good. and having to be sedated everytime he goes to the vet is not a healthy thing.

spinner

It sounds like you know the right decision for you and Boxy, sometimes the kindest thing is just let go. Every living thing deserves to live a happy pain free life, and you've tried to do that. I hope you know in your heart you have done everything you could do, you gave him love and kindness, and now you can end his pain. There is no greater gift.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I would think about putting him to sleep ...

its sad...but living in fear is never good. and having to be sedated everytime he goes to the vet is not a healthy thing.

and I know Catt will be disappointed too, after all her help in the beginning, but unless someone can suggest another way to handle this that is feasible ....

I feel like I'm giving up on him, you know? I kept thinking maybe the right person will come along that can speak "Boxy" and he will get over his fears.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
and I know Catt will be disappointed too, after all her help in the beginning, but unless someone can suggest another way to handle this that is feasible ....

I feel like I'm giving up on him, you know? I kept thinking maybe the right person will come along that can speak "Boxy" and he will get over his fears.

those fears have to be DEEP.... and may never work... even with a trainer and behaviorist.

ontheriver

I don't know Catt, but I am certain that she will understand. She seems to be a true animal lover and knows you wouldn't make this decision lightly.

As for giving up on Boxy..., nobody thinks that. You are the best, Ark, and if anyone is mean to you, I'll :duel::boxing: myself!

Who knows, maybe someone will step forward. Stranger things have happened.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I don't know Catt, but I am certain that she will understand. She seems to be a true animal lover and knows you wouldn't make this decision lightly.

As for giving up on Boxy..., nobody thinks that. You are the best, Ark, and if anyone is mean to you, I'll :duel::boxing: myself!

Who knows, maybe someone will step forward. Stranger things have happened.

This is certainly a good case for Cesar Milan, but I bet he gets told about many cases like this? Being able to administer drops in Boxy's ears would be less costly, but that doesn't mean his problem would subside. I also think that the blunt force trauma that pushed Boxy's eye back into the socket making him blind in that eye is also another factor that contributes to his fear - he can't see well around him with just 1 eye. I can't even imagine how much pain he must have been in when that happened.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Those who have met Boxy are surprised at how he can go from bouncing off the walls happy to being scared enough to try to bite you. We all agree that we will never know what really happened to him. We know that he wants to be happy, and he loves people so much.

Several people said we should take him to the shelter to be put down because it is free there. I said no. I called Dr. Bowen/Prince Frederick Animal Hospital (PFAH) because she has been the one who has sedated Boxy about 5 times in the past year to vet him. She knows best how to handle him w/o getting hurt and also w/o too much trauma to Boxy. We are all going to miss Boxy happily smiling at us while jumping up and down like a typical nutty Boxer LOL. The men who met Boxy were trained to reach out to pet Boxy with one hand while using the other hand to protect their privates from the bouncing boxer LOL.

PFAH cares about their patients, because they said it would only be $50 to put Boxy down. I can't say enough about the people there and how great they have been by being kind and supportive to us and Boxy.

Thursday at 6pm is Boxy's appointment.

mamatutu

mama to two
My heart will be with you and Boxy tomorrow, Arky. Be strong. <3

Thanks for remembering. Yes, Ark needs lots, and lots of hugs for tomorrow. She is another earth angel. No one takes on the care of unwanted animals as a hobby. Ark, you are a wonderful human being. :huggy:

Last edited:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Not today. Got caught in traffic and wasn't going to get there on time, so called to reschedule for same time tomorrow.

mamatutu

mama to two
Not today. Got caught in traffic and wasn't going to get there on time, so called to reschedule for same time tomorrow.

I am sorry you have to go through this, again tomorrow. You have been on my mind today, and I know how hard this whole thing must be for you.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I am sorry you have to go through this, again tomorrow. You have been on my mind today, and I know how hard this whole thing must be for you.

I keep reminding myself that this is a part of the rescue business. I know I can handle it as long as I remind myself that the sweet joyful Boxy that lays his head on my shoulder as I drive, is also the same dog that bites people who intend to help him. He wants to be happy but can't control his fears, so he bites.

I keep reminding myself that this is a part of the rescue business. I know I can handle it as long as I remind myself that the sweet joyful Boxy that lays his head on my shoulder as I drive, is also the same dog that bites people who intend to help him. He wants to be happy but can't control his fears, so he bites.

Ark, you also need to realize that some dogs that have that temperment are born that way. Not all dogs with neurotic personality are that way because of abuse and not all of them can be fixed.

acommondisaster

If it were a little earlier in the day, I'd offer to come along with you and give you some moral support, but it's a long drive and I have to be able to pick up my daughter from respite care by 7:30.

mamatutu

mama to two

I know. You couldn't do what you do if you were not a strong person, and do what you do for the animals. Always, in life, certain situations do not have a happy ending. I just know that your heart aches when you have to make these decisions. :huggy:

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Ark, you also need to realize that some dogs that have that temperment are born that way. Not all dogs with neurotic personality are that way because of abuse and not all of them can be fixed.

THIS IS SO TRUE..... and this goes for EVERY breed....

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
As fate would have it, guess who walks in the vet office and Boxy went nuts over seeing her again ...

Yup Catt. She was a part of his beginning in rescue.

ForumRunner_20131018_181436.jpg