Student Loans

Restitution

We've simply entered an era where less and less workers are needed and more and more consumers are.

I do not disagree however, we have also entered into an era where higher education is becoming more out-of-reach for most people YET, the requirement for degreed individuals has also increased.

So, what happens when the scales tip?

glhs837

Power with Control
Sure, If you are treating the "2 years" as a means of recouping some of the cost of funding their education alone. Military serves the dual purpose of providing additional structure for those that need it and didn't get it growing up. Might be the first time in their lives they rise before the sun or work up a sweat putting in a hard days work.

But I'm open to compromise. A Civil Service Corps (CSC) if you will. Stricture of the military, but primarily tasked with local activities (maintaining memorials, providing civil engineering services, pigeon poop scraping if necessary) and get to go home on the weekends.

Oh, no, I don't care about educating them. That's a whole different deal. You want Uncle Sugar to pony up, you give him more time. I don't mind giving folks structure, but forcing folks into the military for their own good does the service no good in the long run, even if the individual might benefit. For every individual that benefits, there will be as many or more who don't. And I'll spend valuable resources trying to make those square pegs fit. Fine for the CSC, where a failure to obey means a slightly less clean statue or a bridge over the Patuxent that takes a bit longer to build, not for the USMC where it means a slightly more dirty rifle that might jam, or a fording point that's not ready when the troops get to the river.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
I do not disagree however, we have also entered into an era where higher education is becoming more out-of-reach for most people YET, the requirement for degreed individuals has also increased.

Another S&L bailout, another TARP...etc......

glhs837

Power with Control

Why has a degree become so expensive? And why can't it be brought down? And why do careers require them instead of the trade education to get that job done?

b23hqb

PREMO Member
If you take out a loan, you repay it. End of story. So sorry for so many that just cannot go to many outstanding state schools all over the country, that they have to break their bank to get into all these snowflake institutions that charge outrageous rates.

Keep them instate. That will alleviate at least half the cost. Graduate on time, or early. That will alleviate a lot of financial burden. If the parents are footing the bill, it's on them to make the logical and correct choices for their kiddies, too bad what the kids want, right?

Tuition assistance is everywhere. Grants are everywhere. Scholarships are available everywhere for almost any situation, skill, race, sex, disability, etc.

If you are a parent that cannot convince your tender little ones to use common sense now, it is unlikely they will develop that capability later.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

They can't. If I said otherwise, I didn't mean to.
We are not decreasing in population and you've already predicted "We've simply entered an era where less and less workers are needed and more and more consumers are" after stating that now we have a "linear progression" and I can't marry the two because in my perspective one would need replenishable income in order to remain a viable consumer. If we continue to become a country of less workers then how do the folks unable or unwilling to find viable work able to foot the bill of viable consumer?

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Why has a degree become so expensive? And why can't it be brought down? And why do careers require them instead of the trade education to get that job done?

Anytime the government throws easy money at something, the prices go up.
Think easy mortgages...housing prices skyrocketed
Think low interest rates....stock market bubble
Think easy student loans....tuition goes up.....

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Write it off. Get rid of it. Start fresh and do new business.

Screw that. Why penalize the people that did it correctly? I've used debt over the years. I'm far from wealthy but at the end of the day I pay it all back. I'll retire my last loan next year. Yeah. Then from here on out it's pay as I go for non appreciating assets. Like in all things people need to take personal responsibility. Loans are like any other tools, they need to be used correctly & wisely.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
We are not decreasing in population and you've already predicted "We've simply entered an era where less and less workers are needed and more and more consumers are" after stating that now we have a "linear progression" and I can't marry the two because in my perspective one would need replenishable income in order to remain a viable consumer. If we continue to become a country of less workers then how do the folks unable or unwilling to find viable work able to foot the bill of viable consumer?

I grant it's a different thought process than everything we've understood and believed our entire lives. But, we're not going to accept lower living standards, lowered medical care or draconian immigration policies. Once we accept that as reality, then making it work is a lot less problematic.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Define 'tips'.

In our society, when something is too expensive, you make it free. Consider. How many of us could afford the $18-20k a year a typical public school education costs? A handful? We already can't afford health care.
So, associates and then Bachelors are going to become part of public education, I think.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Tuition assistance is everywhere. Grants are everywhere. Scholarships are available everywhere for almost any situation, skill, race, sex, disability, etc.

My kid went the National Guard ROTC route. The structure did him good. They took care of the tuition & books. He owed them a 6 year commitment. When he graduated they sent him off for a paid training for a year and a half. He's already past the 6 year mark and has decided to keep at it. So in the end he got a degree, a small student loan that was quickly paid back, learned a valuable skill and got paid to learn it, has a job that he can earn a decent paycheck. I'd say that's a win/win.

As was mentioned before nothing wrong with going the CC route for the first 2 years while still living at home and keeping expenses under control.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
My kid went the National Guard ROTC route. The structure did him good. They took care of the tuition & books. He owed them a 6 year commitment. When he graduated they sent him off for a paid training for a year and a half. He's already past the 6 year mark and has decided to keep at it. So in the end he got a degree, a small student loan that was quickly paid back, learned a valuable skill and got paid to learn it, has a job that he can earn a decent paycheck. I'd say that's a win/win.

As was mentioned before nothing wrong with going the CC route for the first 2 years while still living at home and keeping expenses under control.

And that's awesome and great for him and we've had this discussion; if everyone were that wise, took good advice, followed that path, it would not, could not work. You don't make policy for the winners, for the smartest. You make it for the masses. The winners, the smart folks do well off the largess and waste of the masses.

PeoplesElbow

I think student loans are a good thing, I used them to partially pay for college, started paying them off when I was in graduate school because I was getting paid as a grad assistant to be there. After I got my graduate degree and went out in the world I actually had a credit rating where I could buy a car house etc from simply paying my student loans. I had my loans all paid off within 5 years of being out in the world. I went to buy a house and had over an 800 fico score all thanks to student loans.

The problem is we feel the need to teach algebra in grade school but no life math. I have tried to teach intelligent people with college degrees how to amortize a loan, figure out compound interest etc. This is something that easily should have been taught in their public education.

My ole lady's college had all freshman take a class just like that, they had to do household budgets, submit an inventory of things they bought etc.