Suckers: You Didn't Even Get the Whole Farm

Clem_Shady

My logic is much simpler than that even. The opportunities for the county to buy any suitable properties for future school construction are dwindling..and will continue to.

So if the county paid an extra 1-2 million for that large of a parcel....that fact that we own it and the fact that 10s of millions will be spent on it in future years makes the 2 million or whatever it was nothing but background noise in the very near future.

And its one heck of a better deal than the Indian Bridge land deal was..don't you agree?:killingme

So you overpayed a couple of million for a library and school site without main road frontage and no sewer plan.

"Real Men of Genius," you guys are.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
So you overpayed a couple of million for a library and school site without main road frontage and no sewer plan.

"Real Men of Genius," you guys are.]

Us guys? I must have missed the meeting memos.

Help me out here. I've looked and looked and have apparently misplaced the list of alternative properties that you so often refer to as being better deals and/or more suitable for the intended use (and critical need).

Help a genius out and post that list here will ya?

:popcorn:

glhs837

Power with Control
My logic is much simpler than that even. The opportunities for the county to buy any suitable properties for future school construction are dwindling..and will continue to.

So if the county paid an extra 1-2 million for that large of a parcel....that fact that we own it and the fact that 10s of millions will be spent on it in future years makes the 2 million or whatever it was nothing but background noise in the very near future.

And its one heck of a better deal than the Indian Bridge land deal was..don't you agree?:killingme

Yep, better than Indian Bridge, but that fact has no bearing. Better than complete crap can still be crap. And again, how much is eventually spent on it has no bearing on overpaying in the first place.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Yep, better than Indian Bridge, but that fact has no bearing. Better than complete crap can still be crap. And again, how much is eventually spent on it has no bearing on overpaying in the first place.

I'm not the least bit 'happy' that we might have overpayed for the property though I note that how much we over payed is quite arguable.

But all I see are carpers and attack artists at work here; those types always characterized by an absolute loathing for identifying and any discussion of good alternatives...or any alternatives at all, for that matter. The county needed land like the Hayden Farm..and needed it badly.

I need to drag out my 'dead horse being beaten' smilie collection pretty soon.:cds:

Clem_Shady

I'm not the least bit 'happy' that we might have overpayed for the property though I note that how much we over payed is quite arguable.

But all I see are carpers and attack artists at work here; those types always characterized by an absolute loathing for identifying and any discussion of good alternatives...or any alternatives at all, for that matter. The county needed land like the Hayden Farm..and needed it badly.

I need to drag out my 'dead horse being beaten' smilie collection pretty soon.:cds:

All of this tough price negotiation right in the middle of the credit markets essentially being frozen and the worst stock market crash of any our lifetimes.

:killingme

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
All of this tough price negotiation right in the middle of the credit markets essentially being frozen and the worst stock market crash of any our lifetimes.

:killingme

Hey ..I have a great idea. Since everyone else in this thread insists on looking back over their shoulder and never casts a forward glance ever..how about this?: We'll vote for the candidates that will give the property back for a refund of price paid. Like?:popcorn:

Clem_Shady

Hey ..I have a great idea. Since everyone else in this thread insists on looking back over their shoulder and never casts a forward glance ever..how about this?: We'll vote for the candidates that will give the property back for a refund of price paid. Like?:popcorn:

Sounds good to me.

And then if necessary we seize a better site using Eminent Domain.

Clem_Shady

So you are for unlimited government powers over personal property rights too. I guess I'm not surprised.

I'm only for using those powers after firing all the people that caused you to use them.

Now let's go down a different road: who let the developers build all these houses that caused us to need more school space?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I'm only for using those powers after firing all the people that caused you to use them.

Now let's go down a different road: who let the developers build all these houses that caused us to need more school space?

Then you appreciate that the county now owns the Hayden Land and won't be forced to seize anyone's property against their will. Now I understand. Noo..maybe I don't. Perhaps my comprehension would be improved if you could be just a little bit more obtuse and evasive. Thanks in advance.

Oh no..and now you are going after Harry Knight too?? Have you no shame, man? Oh..hang on. I missed seeing Harry's name on the ballot. ??

Aaaand...who let all those BRACed activities and the NAVAIR headquarters move in to Pax?? Thereby causing an astronomical increase in housing development. Lets find that person and string 'em up! What say you?

Last edited:

Clem_Shady

Then you appreciate that the county now owns the Hayden Land and won't be forces to seize anyone's property against their will. Now I understand. Noo..maybe I don't. Perhaps my comprehension would be improved if you could be just a little bit more obtuse and evasive. Thanks in advance.

Oh no..and now you are going after Harry Knight too?? Have you no shame, man? Oh..hang on. I missed seeing Harry's name on the ballot. ??

Aaaand...who let all those BRACed activities and the NAVAIR headquarters move in to Pax?? Thereby causing an astronomical increase in housing development. Lets find that person and string 'em up! What say you?

Hang em high!

But nice try. Now let's confuse you even more: it seems like a popular and smart idea that we get light rail service into the county, ideally all the way down to Lexington Park.

Are we gonna overpay everybody who anticipated and bought up resources in the way of the tracks, or are we going to make a fair, appraised value offer first, then get nasty?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I'm just playing your game.

Since when does Harry Knight approve major subdivisions?

:jet:

Sorry. You are late. I already backed the bus up to why the housing demand skyrocketed in the first place. If you want to catch up you will have to get on there..:whistle:

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
An Eminent Domain taking requires payment of Fair Market Value, taking into account the highest and best use for the property, which is not necessarily it's current use -if- there is a reasonable probability of a zoning change.

About 4 years ago, the Board of Ed worked a list of all parcels over 50 acres, in or next to development districts, attempting to buy properties for school sites with zero success. I believe there were over 100 property owners contacted.

They were about 10 years too late in pro-actively looking for school sites.

Calvert had an inventory of school sites owned by the county ready to build on when they needed them. Charles took that one step further and forward-funded school construction without State approval. Our county did neither.

glhs837

Power with Control
An Eminent Domain taking requires payment of Fair Market Value, taking into account the highest and best use for the property, which is not necessarily it's current use -if- there is a reasonable probability of a zoning change.

About 4 years ago, the Board of Ed worked a list of all parcels over 50 acres, in or next to development districts, attempting to buy properties for school sites with zero success. I believe there were over 100 property owners contacted.

They were about 10 years too late in pro-actively looking for school sites.

Calvert had an inventory of school sites owned by the county ready to build on when they needed them. Charles took that one step further and forward-funded school construction without State approval. Our county did neither.

50 acres, can I ask why so much? Does a school really require 50 acres?

Probably so they could base more than one school on a site would be my guess. Think L'town.

Also, a high school especially takes a lot of property. School building, parking lots, ball fields (football, baseball, softball, soccer all need their own field/practice area), expansion area (trailers and eventual add on space) and required green zones.

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
What I don't understand is the whole 'they bought land from...' issue. Who cares? All the land in St Mary's belongs to a small core of local long term folks. If I hear Mattingly, Tennyson, Hayden, Norris, et... so what? These familes have been here for generations. So which one are you Clem? definitely not a Hayden
And the Hayden running for commissioner? He's so far removed from the landowners it doesn't matter. HE didn't get anything out of the deal. I won't judge him on the purchase.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

That sounds too low to me. The current approach to building more than one school on a single site with some shared facilities would eat up 50 acres pretty quickly.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
And the Hayden running for commissioner? He's so far removed from the landowners it doesn't matter. HE didn't get anything out of the deal. I won't judge him on the purchase.

Too late... The Morris Rossignol gang already won that battle.

50 acres is the target size for a high school site, considering all of the athletic fields needed. I think it's 20-30 acres for the Elementary and Middle school sites. Seems high to me too since the current high schools aren't that large.