Surgery

Independence

Does anyone have any comments and knowledge of Dr. Tilley (Leonardtown) and/or Dr. Kane (Clinton)? I need a hysterectomy and I've seen them both. My pros and cons are:

Dr. Tilley pro - will do the surgery at St. Mary's Hospital/con -will need to cut me, I'll be in the hospital 1-2 days and I'll be out of work for max 6 weeks.

Dr. Kane - pro - can do the surgery laparoscopic and it is a same day surgery/con surgery will be at Southern Maryland Hospital.

I just don't know what to do right now. Just looking for imput if anyone has any information I would appreciate it.

Dye Tied

Garden Variety Gnome
surgery laparoscopic. Why be cut open when you have a better option?

I opted for laparoscopic and it was a breeze, compared to the lady next to me who was cut.

You shouldn't even have to ask. :rolleyes:

ZARA

I have had a few surgeries and laparoscopic is the way to go IMO.

Less trauma, shorter heal time, less overall pain.

terbear1225

No opinion on the laprascopic part as Ive never had it done but I LOVE Dr Tilley! He is awesome and was very willing to let me do things my way when I had my kids.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I wish I could perform a hysteroctomy on Dr. Tilly myself. With a rusty knife. With no anesthesia. In a dark filthy room filled with lysteria.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
wow :huggy:

What happened?

Nothing that I want to get in to on an open forum.

But suffice it to say that I will never grace the waiting room of his office, nor wait for him to tend to my medical issues ever again.

ZARA

Nothing that I want to get in to on an open forum.

But suffice it to say that I will never grace the waiting room of his office, nor wait for him to tend to my medical issues ever again.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. Sincerely. I had a bad experience with a doc when I was pregnant. It was so bad my husband (now ex) grabbed the doc the second time we went in the emergency room (at Malcolm Grove) and told him, "If you do anything to hurt my wife or cause her to bleed again, I will kill you. Slowly."

PEACHES76

I have seen both the doctors listed.
If you are talking about Elizabeth Kane, absolutely love her! Her bedside manner is wonderful and if she can do your surgery without cutting you open, then go for it. I just hate the surgical unit at Southern Maryland Hospital.
I have had surgery within the last year with Dr. Tilley and I have to say I really like him and think he is an awesome doctor. He delivered my last child and performed surgery on me last winter. I also prefer the surgical unit at St. Marys to Clinton.

SoMDGirl42

Dr. Tilley preformed my hysterectomy. Cut me open, but I also had to have a general surgeon there to preform a second surgery at the same time because I had a very large abdominal hernia. They killed two birds, one stone.

I had complications and Dr. Tilley basically said he wouldn't treat me, and left it up to the general surgeon. I had to go to his office 2-3 times a week for 9 weeks. Not fun.

Then I had to have my ovaries removed. Dr. Tilley refused to even examine me and told me I was too complicated for his practice and sent me to the Womens GYN Oncology Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore where the Chief of the Oncology Center preformed the surgery.

I won't be going back to Dr. Tilley.

brnpugli

I have been with Dr. Elizabeth Kane for 11 years now and love her. She has done a couple of surgeries on me and has been great. Very easy to talk to and will take the time to listen to all of your concerns.

ZARA

OH!! And the other huge pro to laparoscopic surgery...

No Huge Scar that WILL make you feel self conscious.

Dead serious. I had laparoscopic when I had my knee rebuilt.
My choices were:
1. 12 inch scar from above my knee down my leg
or
2. 4 small incisions about half an inch long and one larger incision 1.5 inches.

I chose option 2. And I chose wisely.

Independence

I have lots of scars. Hip reconstruction and hip replacement. I have a lucky #7 on my hip one is about 12" and the other is about 16". I've also had my gall bladder and appendix removed laprascopic. I'm not too worried about scars. I just don't know if I want to go to Southern Maryland Hospital but I do want the fastest recovery. I just and unable to make a decision right now.

I appreciate everyone's input and opinions!!

Roman

I have lots of scars. Hip reconstruction and hip replacement. I have a lucky #7 on my hip one is about 12" and the other is about 16". I've also had my gall bladder and appendix removed laprascopic. I'm not too worried about scars. I just don't know if I want to go to Southern Maryland Hospital but I do want the fastest recovery. I just and unable to make a decision right now.

I appreciate everyone's input and opinions!!
You'll come up with your own answer soon. I've never heard of either Doctor. IMO, I'd rather go to Southern Maryland Hospital. Both are good, I'm sure. Good luck with your decision, and for a speedy recovery.

acommondisaster

Don't know either doctor, but I'd definitely go with laproscopy for a lot of reasons. Shorter recovery, smaller incision, less chance of infection, less use of anesthesia, just off the top of my head. Did they tell you how long you'd have to stay in the hospital with both procedures? You won't be able to drive for most of those 6 weeks after being cut - keep that in mind, too.

Which ever you choose, I hope you have a safe and speedy recovery.

Roman

I had my hysterectomy done at Holy Cross with Dr. McKuhl. It was done laproscopicly and I was back to work after 10 days.
You are either very young, or very lucky! I had mine done the traditional way, but have had Friends that got it done via Lap, and some of the laps had a hard time healing, and getting back to normal activity. Surgery is surgery.

Independence

I've heard of a lot of complications with going back to work too fast. I drive to DC every day and work in the construction industry. I'll take as much time as the doc will allow. I'm leaning towards to lapto and biting the bullet on the hospital.

Thanks again for all your comments.