Ted Cruz Is Right: You Don’t Have A Right To Health Care

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Oh boo hoo. By that reasoning, Clinton NEVER had the support of the American people, having NEVER won with a majority of the votes.

Ken King pointed out Clinton never had a majority because more that 65 million voted against her - Votes for Trump + Votes for anyone other Clinton

PsyOps

Pixelated
actually some states have said they do .... RE: Christian Bakers

[also of your business is some soft of 'Public Accommodation' - like a private ambulance service]

And, constitutionally, it's wrong. My points aren't to say government won't try to dictate our rights to us; and may even get away with it. I'm simply stipulating what the constitution is for.

PsyOps

Pixelated
I'm not sure I can go as far as thinking he'd have been a dictator, but I can say he says he is a constitutionalist but doesn't seem to get it. I have to think he was trying to use Bernie's definition of "right", not the actual definition. If he really does not think health care is a right (while not being a responsibility of anyone else to provide), then he's not a very good constitutionalist in my view.

If Cruz feels healthcare isn't a right - that we would have to get permission from the government to obtain it - that seems pretty-much like a dictator to me. What else does Cruz feel isn't a right?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
If Cruz feels healthcare isn't a right ....

IMHO

Rights - in the Sanders frame of mind / reference

you have a RIGHT for the Gov. to provide YOUR Healthcare
yes we call them entitlements

as I see it - can the Gov. restrict your access to Healthcare NO, but can you afford it is YOUR Problem
[aside from a punitive tax that might otherwise make it affordable]

PsyOps

Pixelated
IMHO

Rights - in the Sanders frame of mind / reference

you have a RIGHT for the Gov. to provide YOUR Healthcare
yes we call them entitlements

as I see it - can the Gov. restrict your access to Healthcare NO, but can you afford it is YOUR Problem
[aside from a punitive tax that might otherwise make it affordable]

But that's not what Cruz was saying. He said healthcare is not a right. How would someone like him come to that conclusion? What is the alternative to something not being a right? You have to get permission from something else to obtain it; in this instance - government.

Last edited:

This_person

If Cruz feels healthcare isn't a right - that we would have to get permission from the government to obtain it - that seems pretty-much like a dictator to me. What else does Cruz feel isn't a right?

I agree - my hope is just that he was using the word incorrectly to match Bernie.

Clem72

I have the right to peaceably assemble, but no one is required to assemble with me or provide a space to do so.

This thought tickled me a bit. Imagine pulling up outside of Chik-fil-a and seeing gay rights protestors, and thinking "ah crap, just how I wanted to spend my lunch break." Then grabbing a sign.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Yes, there is. And for free, too.

1986 Emergency Medical Treatment Act.

Singed into law by President Reagan.

Okay, you got me there. But this only applies to ERs and emergencies. Even though I'm sure people going into an ER for a sniffle will be seen; it is, like welfare, abused. And it's not free. The rest of us pay.

This_person

Yes, there is. And for free, too.

1986 Emergency Medical Treatment Act.

Singed into law by President Reagan.

I would sort of agree. This is restricted to emergency rooms in hospitals that take Medicare/Medicaid. The clear implication is that these programs are to be overcharged to meet the costs of those for whom no charge is allowed. If you are a hospital and do not wish to be forced into this, you can opt out - but like any choice it comes with consequences. In this case the consequence is that you may not take Medicare/Medicaid patients.