Terrible 2's

daylily

no longer CalvertNewbie
OH CRAP, 8 hour car ride :otter:

MIL still trumps one holiday, and she calls him "Chasey":strangle::strangle:

and dotes on my husband like he's 2 years old as well:strangle::strangle:

Yes....you definitely win! I love my MIL but if she lived with us, I'd have to move out!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news here. The terrible two's have NOTHING on the three's! Everyone told me that and they were right. My little man is 3 1/2 and although he's usually pretty well behaved compared to many kids, I wish the terrible two's would come back when he's having a moment. So bottoms up......get used to it. Sorry lol, but at least you're not alone.......most of us feel your pain. :huggy:

Hey ladies... ya wanna know something? When we see a woman with a tantruming kid... we don't pass judgement on the fact that the kid is having a tantrum... we ALL know that is what kids that age do. We judge you on how you respond... and you pansy-azzed mommas trying to reason with and/or bribe the kid rather than tell him to "knock it off" and "Well now we cannot buy the <insertbribehere> that we were going to get for you because of your behavior... see what you did?" get the most eye-rolling. Seriously... they are going to act out no matter what... so your best chance of having any control or sanity as a parent is to teach them consequences now. If he's bad and you put the toy back... let him scream and keep reminding him it is happening because of how he is behaving... they are most certainly smart enough to get it even at 2.

What sucks is that when you are a first-time mom you don't learn this stuff until it is too late.

SoMDGirl42

My vacation to Tenn is sounding better all the time.

WR, let me know how the week is with just on ex to deal with :otter:

stockgirl

Stocki
Hey ladies... ya wanna know something? When we see a woman with a tantruming kid... we don't pass judgement on the fact that the kid is having a tantrum... we ALL know that is what kids that age do. We judge you on how you respond... and you pansy-azzed mommas trying to reason with and/or bribe the kid rather than tell him to "knock it off" and "Well now we cannot buy the <insertbribehere> that we were going to get for you because of your behavior... see what you did?" get the most eye-rolling. Seriously... they are going to act out no matter what... so your best chance of having any control or sanity as a parent is to teach them consequences now. If he's bad and you put the toy back... let him scream and keep reminding him it is happening because of how he is behaving... they are most certainly smart enough to get it even at 2.

What sucks is that when you are a first-time mom you don't learn this stuff until it is too late.

I can remember being mortified of the thought of smacking my kid. I laugh and do it now. :lmao:

maxima87

Football Mom!!!

YES! I was mortified with the 1st, by the time the 2nd and 3rd came around, I had it down. Now the 7 yo will tell the almost 2 yo how to act. Either way, I just find it easier to interact with him in the store by naming and pointing stuff out...or leaving him home with the oldest.

Babies are smarted than people think. It only took a time or two of him getting fussy at Church to realize I would walk him outside before he started intentionally getting loud and pulling my hand to go outside. Nipped that in the bud!

somdnanny1

At one point I was watching toddler twins (they were ages 16-20 months when I watched them ). The only way to get through a shopping trip without screaming was to walk through the store singing every song that I could think of to the boys, I also made a point to point out things to them that they were starting to learn, although I always wanted the floor to open up and swallow me whole when they attempted to say "sock" because that's not what it sounded like. There was one in the sling on my hip and the one in the basket in the cart because at least once a week we were out of necessities for two toddlers, two older children, and three adults in the household. Before we went to the store, I made sure that we had dry diapers, a snack or "nack" as the boys called it, they had their sippy cups with milk and that we either did it while they were well rested or getting ready for a nap.

ewashkow

Good lord it's like something has possessed him and he wants only things that he can't have !!

Last night at the grocery store he starts screaming and crying b/c he can't hold EVERYTHING and b/c it's got to go on the belt so I can check out... I was grabbing for anything close to shut him up and to keep from dying of embarassment b/c I had "the brat" kid that everyone talks about !!!

You are aware that you rewarded the behavior right? Chase learned "I scream, I get stuff".

Yes, I have been the parent with "that kid" before. My 2.5 year started with the attitude at 18 months as well. However, he learned early that he wouldn't be rewarded for the behavior. He still has the occasional fit but they are few and far between. When he does, I apologize to the people that are around me for the outburst but that he will not be getting the toy/treat/etc that triggered the fit. These people tend to thank me for telling my son no.

If you raise your toddler that being a brat gets them what they want, they will become a bigger brat as time goes on. Take advantage of the quickly closing gap where people are tolerant of a 2 year olds behavior. It won't last much longer.

KDENISE977

At one point I was watching toddler twins (they were ages 16-20 months when I watched them ). The only way to get through a shopping trip without screaming was to walk through the store singing every song that I could think of to the boys, I also made a point to point out things to them that they were starting to learn, although I always wanted the floor to open up and swallow me whole when they attempted to say "sock" because that's not what it sounded like. There was one in the sling on my hip and the one in the basket in the cart because at least once a week we were out of necessities for two toddlers, two older children, and three adults in the household. Before we went to the store, I made sure that we had dry diapers, a snack or "nack" as the boys called it, they had their sippy cups with milk and that we either did it while they were well rested or getting ready for a nap.

OMG, that I get. One of my sons teachers her name is hard for children to say so she was trying to teach him to say Ca-Ca, not smart I know...and my son is screaming "CACK" in the store !!

pelers

:huggy:awww sorry...but wait, I have the toddler and currently my MIL living w/ me till she finds a new house...:strangle::strangle: I WIN !! LOL j/k:killingme

Give me a few weeks. We'll go drink. Mine is also starting in with it, everything is NO! When he DOES want something I get sullen silence when I ask him if he wants it, and then when I repeat it (hoping for a "Yes" or a "Please") the shrieking starts!

:banghead: Mama's about to start throwing her own temper tantrums.

KDENISE977

Give me a few weeks. We'll go drink. Mine is also starting in with it, everything is NO! When he DOES want something I get sullen silence when I ask him if he wants it, and then when I repeat it (hoping for a "Yes" or a "Please") the shrieking starts!:banghead: Mama's about to start throwing her own temper tantrums.

OMG, OMG, YESSSS !! :cds:

KDENISE977

OH and everything is NO, veryfast shaking head NO like his little brain is on fire and he has to shake his head back and forth as hard as he can....I GET IT... YOU DON'T WANT THAT OR DON'T LIKE IT...SHEESH

Sweet 16

^^8^^
He is testing you to see what his boundaries are and because it is his job. Teaching him to control his impulses is one of the most important things he will learn, especially for a boy, because they are almost all impulse and NO self-control at that age (and most never outgrow it from what I've seen). Consistency is key -- set boundaries now and be firm or you will regret it later. If he sees you caving in, you are toast. Meanwhile, invest in earplugs and drink heavily when you can! :lmao: