Thank you Maryland for a law that Prevents us from Discounted Gas

3CATSAILOR

Yes in deed, I knew the answer, but I called Sheet on Great Mills Road anyhow. Sure enough, the Manager I talked to said that Maryland has a law that essentially keeps discounted gas such as what Sheets has offered today out of Maryland. Maryland already has a high gas tax and it will probably raise it more in the months or years to come. I guess they thought it might disturb their profit margin if they allowed the $1.99 Sheets 88 octane gas here. The draw back from the gas is apparently it has 15% ethanol.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Yes in deed, I knew the answer, but I called Sheet on Great Mills Road anyhow. Sure enough, the Manager I talked to said that Maryland has a law that essentially keeps discounted gas such as what Sheets has offered today out of Maryland. Maryland already has a high gas tax and it will probably raise it more in the months or years to come. I guess they thought it might disturb their profit margin if they allowed the $1.99 Sheets 88 octane gas here. The draw back from the gas is apparently it has 15% ethanol.
The Legislature about ten years ago adopted a law that automatically raises the gas tax every year. That takes away the need to have to vote on every increase which means that the typical Maryland resident, being too goddamned dumb to put two and two together, won't give them crap about it.

Tech

The Legislature about ten years ago adopted a law that automatically raises the gas tax every year. That takes away the need to have to vote on every increase which means that the typical Maryland resident, being too goddamned dumb to put two and two together, won't give them crap about it.
Didn't they just subjected it to the sales tax? Price goes up, tax goes up.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Didn't they just subjected it to the sales tax? Price goes up, tax goes up.
Yes, but it's two separate taxes. First is the traditional per gallon gas tax tied to the CPI that goes up then the sales tax.

Like I said, it's just complicated enough, like the Constant Yield for property taxes, that the average Marylander can't figure it out.

"Why did my property taxes go up?"
We didn't raise them. The rate is the same as last year.
"But they went up."
Of course, your house is worth more but we didn't raise the tax rate, it stayed the same.
"Oh." (questioner walks away muttering because he doesn't get it)

I saw that play out dozens, if not hundreds, of times over the last almost forty years. It's set up so that legislators at every level can truthfully say that they didn't raise the tax rate, your taxes went up because your house is worth more. What they don't say is that the Constant Yield calculation said that the tax rate should have gone down to maintain the same level of funding (which really can't be done, governments have the same inflationary pressures as everyone else).

It can become interesting. If this year's tax rate is $1.00/hundred and the Constant Yield drops it to $0.90/hundred you can raise it to $0.99/hundred and truthfully say you cut taxes. Your property tax will still go up but the tax rate was cut.

Along about next April/May notice the public hearings for the upcoming budget. One will be for the County/Town raising the tax rate above the Constant Yield. The other will be for the budget itself.

Last edited:

PeoplesElbow

Kept the major players from undercutting the mom and pop stations. The rule is they can’t sell gas for less than they paid for it.
Screw those mom and pop stations, when I moved here I wondered why gas cost so much more than elsewhere, when sheetz and wawa came to town it evened out. Mom and pop were cheating you.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Screw those mom and pop stations, when I moved here I wondered why gas cost so much more than elsewhere, when sheetz and wawa came to town it evened out. Mom and pop were cheating you.
Hey now, Salt of the Earth Mom n' Pops wouldn't ever think of overcharging on something (if they even carry it).

Tech

Yes, but it's two separate taxes. First is the traditional per gallon gas tax tied to the CPI that goes up then the sales tax.

Like I said, it's just complicated enough, like the Constant Yield for property taxes, that the average Marylander can't figure it out.

"But they went up."
Of course, your house is worth more but we didn't raise the tax rate, it stayed the same.

I saw that play out dozens, if not hundreds, of times over the last almost forty years. It's set up so that legislators at every level can truthfully say that they didn't raise the tax rate, your taxes went up because your house is worth more. What they don't say is that the Constant Yield calculation said that the tax rate should have gone down to maintain the same level of funding (which really can't be done, governments have the same inflationary pressures as everyone else).

It can become interesting. If this year's tax rate is $1.00/hundred and the Constant Yield drops it to $0.90/hundred you can raise it to $0.99/hundred and truthfully say you cut taxes. Your property tax will still go up but the tax rate was cut.

Along about next April/May notice the public hearings for the upcoming budget. One will be for the County/Town raising the tax rate above the Constant Yield. The other will be for the budget itself.
That's why the state is going after Trump, infringing on their over inflating of property values.

Clem72

[...] like the Constant Yield for property taxes, that the average Marylander can't figure it out.

"But they went up."
Now i'm confused about why someone would be confused. Aren't most taxes a percent? Income tax, sales tax, and property tax. Not a new concept and not something I have ever heard someone be confused about. In fact I would be much more surprised to find someone who expected their taxes to remain the same when their property went up 25% in value in 2 years.

Or did I miss something?

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Now i'm confused about why someone would be confused. Aren't most taxes a percent? Income tax, sales tax, and property tax. Not a new concept and not something I have ever heard someone be confused about. In fact I would be much more surprised to find someone who expected their taxes to remain the same when their property went up 25% in value in 2 years.

Or did I miss something?
You missed a lot, especially with property taxes, which aren't assessed as a percent. You'd be surprised what a typical person doesn't understand. That includes supposedly highly educated Captains of the Civil Service, especially the ones who claim they work on budgets as their job. Elected officials play that "tax rate stayed the same" verbal ju-jitsu and that's what people hear.
For the gas tax, mixing two types of tax, per gallon and sales, is just confusing enough that people's heads start to explode thinking about it.

phreddyp

Did you honestly believe that Sheets pays the same for gas as mom and pop? If you do, would you like to buy the TJ bridge?

PeoplesElbow

Did you honestly believe that Sheets pays the same for gas as mom and pop? If you do, would you like to buy the TJ bridge?
No, but mom and pop came down quite a bit after Sheetz showed up. $0.50/gallon difference was quite a bit. The other places I was alluding to also had mom and pop stations that were much closer to the guys like Sheetz. Riggs Service station where I came from was owned by a classmate's family and they were the lowest priced gas around, even lower than Sheetz, so it can't be that much.

phreddyp

No, but mom and pop came down quite a bit after Sheetz showed up. $0.50/gallon difference was quite a bit. The other places I was alluding to also had mom and pop stations that were much closer to the guys like Sheetz. Riggs Service station where I came from was owned by a classmate's family and they were the lowest priced gas around, even lower than Sheetz, so it can't be that much.
Not really, when you price in the differences in costs associated with being a mom and pop business for insurance, maintenance, equipment costs and repairs vs a billion dollar corporation it adds up quickly.

PeoplesElbow

Not really, when you price in the differences in costs associated with being a mom and pop business for insurance, maintenance, equipment costs and repairs vs a billion dollar corporation it adds up quickly.
I'll have to look up Dave Riggs and inform him that he can't compete with Sheetz, I'm sure he will thank you for pointing that out.

PeoplesElbow

It appears that you are the one that needed that information.
It appears to me that "information" is horse crap from someone that was either doing the ripping off or too butthurt to admit they had been ripped off.

Riggs service station has been in operation since the 50s and sheetz came to town in the late 80s and both are still there.