Thanksgiving

mitzi

You could order the full TG dinner through the local grocery that you shop. Just a thought.

I had to work one Thanksgiving til 3:00. Kids were away visiting their Dad's mother and it was just me and my Dad. I ordered from McKay's and it was excellent. Everything was made in the store kitchen, none of that prepackaged/premade stuff. Leftovers too:yahoo:

lovinmaryland

Can you expand on your recipe..temp and minutes per lb? stuffed/unstuffed? Brined? what kind of wood? Got a Green Egg over the past year and have done ribs and briskets with good results, am tempted to do a turkey this TG. tia

Not sure how he smokes his but I smoke my turkeys and I usually rub it down w/ my own rub I make (brown sugar, salt, garlic powder, chili powder, cayenne pepper, etc...) the longer it sits w/ the rub on the more penetrated the turkey gets (I usually do 24-36 hours) I've brined one before also in a sweet tea brine...that one turned out really good too!

I don't have a smoker I actually use my grill and make it into a smoker...works perfectly. Ive done it w/ gas and w/ charcoal. Theres more directions here https://www.cooksillustrated.com/features/8638-how-to-turn-your-grill-into-a-smoker I use a foil container w/ holes punched in the bottom to hold the wood chips (I use apple wood chips) make sure to soak them for at least 30 minutes before you use them. I smoke my turkey (sizes have varied from 18-22 lbs.) trying to keep it between 250-275 degrees for about 8 hours. Then I transfer it to a foil container and cover it w/ foil and pop it in a 350 degree oven then turn off the heat and let it rest in there for an hour...got that suggestion from a smokers forum and OMG it really does make the meat more tender and juicy vs. just taking it off the smoker. Then take it out of the oven remove foil and let it sit for 30 minutes then carve.

These aren't the best pictures (from my sons iPad) but smoking it makes for a really pretty deep golden bird.

Attachments

• turk.jpg
    turk.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 68
  • tur.jpg
    tur.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 64

Grumpy

Not sure how he smokes his but I smoke my turkeys and I usually rub it down w/ my own rub I make (brown sugar, salt, garlic powder, chili powder, cayenne pepper, etc...) the longer it sits w/ the rub on the more penetrated the turkey gets (I usually do 24-36 hours) I've brined one before also in a sweet tea brine...that one turned out really good too!

Good stuff...thank you!