The Bible

cheezgrits

Thought pirate
And that's exactly why I said what I said. It's not like we've told everyone here not to watch the series (not that they would listen).

From its title: "The Bible", it understandably seemed like another documentary about the origin of the Bible. Having seen many of those and finding them not very accurate, I would be very skeptical and rightly so.

How do you know any documentary or anything else would be accurate about the bible? Any of you there when it was written? Or are you assuming because someone's interpretation of it doesn't match yours that they are automatically wrong?

This is my problem with biblical "scholar" types. This is why religion has screwed up the world. Wars have been started over interpretations of a book.

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
How do you know any documentary or anything else would be accurate about the bible? Any of you there when it was written? Or are you assuming because someone's interpretation of it doesn't match yours that they are automatically wrong? This is my problem with biblical "scholar" types. This is why religion has screwed up the world. Wars have been started over interpretations of a book.
If I thought for ONE minute that you're really interested in learning the truth about the Bible, I'd spend hours talking to you about it. If you would have shown up today we could have had a nice long chat about it at RR.

Just because YOU wish to remain ignorant about the Bible doesn't mean that God (the real one) wants HIS people to. God left us enough information to truly know Him and truly understand His Word (The Bible). He will NOT show you or anyone else those truths because He knows that you all would only ridicule them. I'm can't say that you're not a believer but I surely have my doubts because of your insistence on the Bible being wrong and your refusal to learn who God really is...

Here are some of God's actual words about people with similar attitudes about His teachings:

10 "The disciples came to him and asked, Why do you speak to the people in parables? He replied, Because the knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them...This is why I speak to them in parables: Though seeing, they do not see; though hearing, they do not hear or understand". (Matthew 13)

42 "Jesus said to them, If God were your Father, you would love me, for I have come here from God. Why is my language not clear to you? Because you are unable to hear what I say...Yet because I tell the truth, you do not believe me! If I am telling the truth, why don’t you believe me? Whoever belongs to God hears what God says. The reason you do not hear is that you do not belong to God.” (John 8)

12 "What we have received is not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may understand what God has freely given us. This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, explaining spiritual realities with Spirit-taught words. The person WITHOUT the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit." (1 Corinthians 2) [NIV 1984]

b23hqb

PREMO Member
How do you know any documentary or anything else would be accurate about the bible? Any of you there when it was written? Or are you assuming because someone's interpretation of it doesn't match yours that they are automatically wrong?

This is my problem with biblical "scholar" types. This is why religion has screwed up the world. Wars have been started over interpretations of a book.

Like your assumptions and interpretations as well? Like your assumption that people who talk about the Bible and have a different take than you are "biblical scholar types"? Don't be offended, but you are pretty opinionated yourself.

That is the universal guarantee about opinions - everybody has them. There is nothing wrong with that - just stick to your guns until you run out of ammo. Then allow others to fire their guns.

Watch it and decide for yourself, and I will do the same and decide for myself. If the scenes and themes accurately follow the written words of the Bible, then it would have to be an accurate representation of the Word. If they are mostly off-base, then I would not agree.

If accurately portraying the scope of the Bible, it would still be up to oneself decide whether to believe it or not.

cheezgrits

Thought pirate
So if I question your bible, then I'm "ridiculing" it. Hmmm.

And you wonder why I wouldn't be interested in learning from you.

I have never ridiculed the bible that I'm aware of. If I did, please refer me to my posts. I have questioned it, asked about it, pondered it and tried to make comparisons about it.

If my questions, thoughts and as you call it "ridicule" shakes your faith this bad, I'd hate to see what happens when you were truly challenged.

If your bible was so iron clad, you wouldn't have to defend your positions so hard.

But since according to you, IS, only certain people are entitled to know about anything in your bible, I'll leave you and your sheep that blindly follow along a book of parables to your business.

cheezgrits

Thought pirate
Like your assumptions and interpretations as well? Like your assumption that people who talk about the Bible and have a different take than you are "biblical scholar types"? Don't be offended, but you are pretty opinionated yourself.

That is the universal guarantee about opinions - everybody has them. There is nothing wrong with that - just stick to your guns until you run out of ammo. Then allow others to fire their guns.

Watch it and decide for yourself, and I will do the same and decide for myself. If the scenes and themes accurately follow the written words of the Bible, then it would have to be an accurate representation of the Word. If they are mostly off-base, then I would not agree.

If accurately portraying the scope of the Bible, it would still be up to oneself decide whether to believe it or not.

No offense taken. I am opinionated. I'll watch it. I'm actually interested in the bible. Have read it through. I just don't have the same view of it, don't worship it (btw, I love people that trash Catholics over Mary and worship the bible like it's a holy vessel. It's a book.) and interpret it differently.

I refer to biblical scholars tongue in cheek referring to folks that think they know all about it, were there when it was written and have special access to the thoughts behind it and their interpretation is THE one.

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
So if I question your bible, then I'm "ridiculing" it. Hmmm.
I have never ridiculed the bible that I'm aware of. If I did, please refer me to my posts. I have questioned it, asked about it, pondered it and tried to make comparisons about it.
If my questions, thoughts and as you call it "ridicule" shakes your faith this bad, I'd hate to see what happens when you were truly challenged.
But since according to you, IS, only certain people are entitled to know about anything in your bible, I'll leave you and your sheep that blindly follow along a book of parables to your business.
You can't shake my faith. You have called the Bible a few names; don't say you didn't. All I'm saying is that you're telling me (who you don't know) that I don't know what I'm talking about with regards to the Bible. I'm simply telling you why I'm right but, of course, you always seem to miss the reason.

So, you can sit on the sidelines and criticize us and the Bible or you can do your own research on it or you can listen to some of us here. Whichever way you choose will determine what you'll learn about it...
No offense taken. I am opinionated. I'll watch it. I'm actually interested in the bible. Have read it through. I just don't have the same view of it, don't worship it (btw, I love people that trash Catholics over Mary and worship the bible like it's a holy vessel. It's a book.) and interpret it differently.
We don't worship the Bible either. That's just you jumping to conclusions...again...as usual. We speak against Mary worship because the Bible does, not because we hate Catholics.
cheezgrits said:
I refer to biblical scholars tongue in cheek referring to folks that think they know all about it, were there when it was written and have special access to the thoughts behind it and their interpretation is THE one.
Well, let's see; If God is the author of the Bible and He speaks to us every day then why shouldn't we have "special access to the thoughts behind it"?

Radiant1

Soul Probe
Noah was Scottish? LOL

....and Moses British?

It could have been in Hebrew with subtitles. :lol:

I wasn't expecting anything particularly grand from this, but I did get a little irked that they skipped over a lot of stuff. :ohwell:

We don't worship the Bible either. That's just you jumping to conclusions...again...as usual.

Paraphrasing from past dialogue:
IS: Catholics worship Mary.
R1: We don't worship Mary. You're jumping to conclusions.
IS: Yes you do because I say you do.

Does anyone else see the irony here?

We speak against Mary worship because the Bible does, not because we hate Catholics.

The Bible speaks out against worshiping anything or anyone other than God. That would include both Mary and the Bible itself.

I'm waiting to watch the Vikings.

I fell asleep five minutes into it. :tantrum: I hope they show re-runs this week! :lol:

hotcoffee

I watched it.... It's ok...

Since it is going to last for 10-12 hours [2 hours each Sunday for 5 or 6 weeks] I was hoping for something of the quality of The Ten Commandments or The Greatest Story Ever Told. But alas it was good... not great...

They did state in the beginning of the film that they had taken some theatrical liberties. Letting Noah tell the creation story was a good use of time. The Caine and Abel story was well covered from a video perspective.

The Sodom story was a nightmare.... they totally replaced rape and murder with a kung foo garbage.... but hey... I guess it was during prime time when kids are there to be lied to.

It's not great but it's not as horrible as some I've watched. I'm not so sure I'll be able to make myself watch it next Sunday. I'll try....

:coffee:

b23hqb

PREMO Member
....and Moses British? So far reminds me of the picture Bible in every doctor's office waiting room when I was a kid. saw a tweet that said so far, it's the Bible for Wal Mart shoppers.....

Gotta admit, it just would not be a bible movie without the prerequisite British-type accent, at least in the eyes and ears of the movie makers.

As far as the Bible for the masses - the Bible history and themes are not complicated at all - just history. There are plenty of deep theological and mysterious topics, for sure. But the basic concept of a creator and salvation is really simple to understand.

The difficult part for many people, due to prideful nature, is just believing it.

hotcoffee

Me: "It didn't happen that way."
My SO: "I know, but it looks bad-ass!"

:lol:

It they had done it right tho... stayed with the murder and rape.... maybe done in the style they use in the beginning of the CSI shows... it would have looked "bad-ass" and it would have stuck with the reality of the day....

They didn't even show Lot offering one of his daughters instead...

NextJen

Raisin cane
It they had done it right tho... stayed with the murder and rape.... maybe done in the style they use in the beginning of the CSI shows... it would have looked "bad-ass" and it would have stuck with the reality of the day....

They didn't even show Lot offering one of his daughters instead...

Seems they left out reference to homosexuality too

from About.com-Christianity:
When the two angels arrived at Sodom that evening, Abraham's nephew Lot met them at the city gate. Lot and his family lived in Sodom. He took the two men to his home and fed them.

Then all the men of the city surrounded Lot's house and said, "Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us so that we can have sex with them." (Genesis 19:5, NIV) By ancient custom, the visitors were under Lot's protection. Lot was so infected by the wickedness of Sodom that he offered the homosexuals his two virgin daughters instead. Furious, the mob rushed up to break down the door.

The angels struck the rioters blind! Leading Lot, his wife, and two daughters by the hand, the angels hurried them out of the city. The girls' fiancés would not listen and stayed behind.

hotcoffee

Seems they left out reference to homosexuality too

from About.com-Christianity:
When the two angels arrived at Sodom that evening, Abraham's nephew Lot met them at the city gate. Lot and his family lived in Sodom. He took the two men to his home and fed them.

Then all the men of the city surrounded Lot's house and said, "Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us so that we can have sex with them." (Genesis 19:5, NIV) By ancient custom, the visitors were under Lot's protection. Lot was so infected by the wickedness of Sodom that he offered the homosexuals his two virgin daughters instead. Furious, the mob rushed up to break down the door.

The angels struck the rioters blind! Leading Lot, his wife, and two daughters by the hand, the angels hurried them out of the city. The girls' fiancés would not listen and stayed behind.

I don't know where I read that they threw one of the women out there and they raped and beat her... and left her on the door step... and in the morning they found her dead.... was that in Genesis the Sodom Story?

One thing good about this movie... it has us talking about the Bible.... :coffee:

PsyOps

Pixelated
I'm pretty disappointed so far. I don't like that they left out the entire creation/Adam and Eve/Cain and Abel story. They chose to just have Noah explain it. I feel like it's pretty important to go into detail about the fall of man, the birth of sin, and spiritual death. All left out.

The whole thing was nothing but dramatization. Not really any real quotes from the bible; maybe just a few.

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
Paraphrasing from past dialogue:
IS: Catholics worship Mary.
R1: We don't worship Mary. You're jumping to conclusions.
IS: Yes you do because I say you do.
Does anyone else see the irony here? The Bible speaks out against worshiping anything or anyone other than God. That would include both Mary and the Bible itself.
Does anyone else see her refusal to admit the truth here? :yay:

Don't make me pull up and post your churches prayers and adorations to her and their many holy days of obligation that are ALL about her. You can't ignore the truth forever.
I'm pretty disappointed so far. I don't like that they left out the entire creation/Adam and Eve/Cain and Abel story. They chose to just have Noah explain it. I feel like it's pretty important to go into detail about the fall of man, the birth of sin, and spiritual death. All left out.
The whole thing was nothing but dramatization. Not really any real quotes from the bible; maybe just a few.
So my/our skepticism was justified and this is the very reason why. I've seen soo many of these documentaries and have been mostly disappointed in them.

It would now be appropriate for cheezgrits to come in and admit we were right...:holdingmybreath:

cheezgrits

Thought pirate
Keep holding.

Episode 1 of many.

It ain't great but not bad. A lot like the Hunger Games...good book, not so good movie.

Vikings was friggin' awesome! Now THAT was a good show depicting history.

cheezgrits

Thought pirate
You can't shake my faith. You have called the Bible a few names; don't say you didn't. All I'm saying is that you're telling me (who you don't know) that I don't know what I'm talking about with regards to the Bible. I'm simply telling you why I'm right but, of course, you always seem to miss the reason.

OK, what names have I called the bible? A book of parables? Is it not? A work of fiction? It may be. Can't recall calling it "names". I never said you don't know what you're talking about, I've only said you think you know everything and your way is THE way. You may know what your talking about, you just have a crappy way of telling it. You keep telling me you're right, it's bound to sink in if you just keep telling me.

So, you can sit on the sidelines and criticize us and the Bible or you can do your own research on it or you can listen to some of us here. Whichever way you choose will determine what you'll learn about it...

I'm not on the sidelines, I've read it, I've listened to hotcoffe, radiant1 and you and others, digested it, thought about it and come to my own conclusions. That's the beauty of the creator (God), he or she endowed us with free will and a free mind.

We don't worship the Bible either. That's just you jumping to conclusions...again...as usual. We speak against Mary worship because the Bible does, not because we hate Catholics.

Don't worship it? Holy Bible? If you don't worship it, then we agree, it's just a book.

Well, let's see; If God is the author of the Bible and He speaks to us every day then why shouldn't we have "special access to the thoughts behind it"?

God isn't the author, men are. If your God is the author and with no interference from man, then why not break out all the books of the bible?

:duel:

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
OK, what names have I called the bible? A book of parables? Is it not? A work of fiction? It may be. Can't recall calling it "names". I never said you don't know what you're talking about, I've only said you think you know everything and your way is THE way. You may know what your talking about, you just have a crappy way of telling it. You keep telling me you're right, it's bound to sink in if you just keep telling me.
Those names aren't good names though. I sense underlying tones in them. To call it a book of fiction is dangerous but you don't have to take my word for it...

I tell people what the Bible says. They don't like it so they attack ME. I've asked for anyone to prove me wrong in what I've said and no one has. And my way is "crappy"? Maybe it's the readers bias. Look at the message and don't worry about the messenger. :yay:
cheezgrits said:
I'm not on the sidelines, I've read it, I've listened to hotcoffe, radiant1 and you and others, digested it, thought about it and come to my own conclusions. That's the beauty of the creator (God), he or she endowed us with free will and a free mind.
If you've asked God to reveal its meaning to you, you should remember that He won't if you're not willing to listen and learn. A "free will or free mind" is what we have but, w/o discernment, it can lead us in the wrong direction.
cheezgrits said:
Don't worship it? Holy Bible? If you don't worship it, then we agree, it's just a book. God isn't the author, men are. If your God is the author and with no interference from man, then why not break out all the books of the bible?
You must not understand what worship means. I revere the Book but I don't bow down or pray to it or have it set up in a shrine type of setting.

All of the books are "broken out". If you'd listen, you'd know that I've explained that before. Sounds like you just want to argue & doubt the truth and God isn't going to reveal His truths to anyone who won't listen.