The Boy Scouts of America

SamSpade

I think there are two separate issues being conflated here - - the issue of lawsuits which threaten to bankrupt BSA -
and the changes in the last four years towards LGBT.

They're oddly enough not really related, since most of the damaging lawsuits pertain to incidents that happened
LONG before those events. 80's and 90's. The event that broke the dam on lawsuits was not the stance towards LGBT, but
losing a lawsuit over an old claim eight years ago. THEN people starting bringing more.

These are old incidents. Valid or not - they're not related to the recent decisions.

mitzi

Pedophilia is a psychiatric disorder - among other things - and over half of them are MARRIED men.
Although they can be hetero, bi or homosexual, most have been hetero.
Most male pedophiles target boys, but sometimes little girls as well.

Remember, this is a mental sickness. Some people practice bestiality and some people do other sick things - but no one assumes they're "gay".
It's just sick, period.

I knew a woman in the 80s that worked where I did. It was all over the news one night her husband had been charged with molesting boys and he was a Scout Leader. No one would have known who she was if she hadn't been standing by her man at a news conference denying the allegations. He was found guilty. Gay has nothing to do with being a pedophile.

SamSpade

I knew a woman in the 80s that worked where I did. It was all over the news one night her husband had been charged with molesting boys and he was a Scout Leader. No one would have known who she was if she hadn't been standing by her man at a news conference denying the allegations. He was found guilty. Gay has nothing to do with being a pedophile.

See, the events I've been a part of or seen being put together have such stringent guidelines that violating them would be very difficult.
They've had to cancel events because of too few adult volunteers, and things like campouts - not referring to Cubs - parents don't even
use the same tent as their own children.

Smokey1

Maybe not but if you are sexually attracted to someone of the same sex no matter their age you are not straight or heterosexual either by definition.

officeguy

See, the events I've been a part of or seen being put together have such stringent guidelines that violating them would be very difficult.
They've had to cancel events because of too few adult volunteers, and things like campouts - not referring to Cubs - parents don't even
use the same tent as their own children.

In aviation we say that 'regulations are written in blood'. Same with the child safety rules in the scouts. Annoying as they can sometimes be, they are the result of things that happened in the 80s and before. If they are adhered to, it would indeed be impossible for someone to do something at a scout event today. The problem remains that scouting does allow adults an opportunity to connect with young boys. The problematic stuff is not likely to happen at sanctioned scout events. If something happens, it tends to be outside of actual scout events but based on contacts made through the activity. For example wouldn't be unusual for an adult leader or volunteer to have a scouts cell number or be connected via snapchat or a messenger app. Perfectly innocent 99% of the time, but certainly fraught with potential for abuse.

officeguy

GAY MEN don't have children unless they adopt some somalian or vietnamese kid to share with their life partners..so, why would they join the scouts??? most scout leaders are men guiding their sons along the trail... a kid wanders in a bicycle store to look at the cool bikes...gay men join the scouts to look at pretty little boys....call me what you want, thats how I see it.

Plenty of gay men have kids of their own. Usually with someone they married before they realized that they weren't cut out for the heterosexual thing. Not as common today as it used to be only 15-20 years ago. These days there is little downside for a gay man to be open about his orientation.

The great majority of gay men are not attracted to young boys. Just like the majority of heterosexual men wouldn't have any interest in a 12 year old girl. Its the desire to have sexual relations with a child or teen that defines pedophilia, not whether someone is gay or straight.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Plenty of gay men have kids of their own. Usually with someone they married before they realized that they weren't cut out for the heterosexual thing. Not as common today as it used to be only 15-20 years ago. These days there is little downside for a gay man to be open about his orientation.

The great majority of gay men are not attracted to young boys. Just like the majority of heterosexual men wouldn't have any interest in a 12 year old girl. Its the desire to have sexual relations with a child or teen that defines pedophilia, not whether someone is gay or straight.

How do you know all this? Just wondering.

officeguy

What I was trying to say is that if you are not of that persuasion, or lifestyle, how do you know? What do rocks have to do with it? Oh, wait...

While these facts may be new to you, they are not some super secret gay knowledge that someone would need to have an inside track on. They are just basic definitions and things anyone who goes through life with their eyes open can observe.

littlelady

God bless the USA
While these facts may be new to you, they are not some super secret gay knowledge that someone would need to have an inside track on. They are just basic definitions and things anyone who goes through life with their eyes open can observe.

My eyes are wide open. Always, have been. The fact is homosexuals cannot procreate on their own. They depend on heterosexuals, and sperm banks. I don’t require much sleep. OK. Done. Thanks for the replies. :smile: