The debate...

UrbanPancake

Right=Wrong/Left=Right
ylexot said:
That just shows you know nothing about mental illness. For example, some people are diagnosed with depression and receive medication to treat it. These people are "lawyers, accountants, teachers, and everything else under the sun." They are not "crazy", they can "hold down jobs, maintain there homes," and usually do not hurt someone. Plus depression happens in nature all the time.

Got proof, present it.
My point was, he was comparing homosexuality to mental illness in a way that made it sound like they were crazy and that's wrong. Being gay isn't a mental illness. Are you going to tell a teenager who starts to have "feelings" for the same sex that he has a mental illness? It is something that starts very early on in life. Just like heterosexuality. It is something you just know when your young. Here is a good question for you. If a child is gay does that make them a sinner?

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
UrbanPancake said:
So you don't follow it exactly but since Gay people don't follow it exactly they should be held under a microscope??? You sound like a hypocrite.
I didn't say that. I said that homosexual behavior is sin; nothing more; nothinig less.

UrbanPancake

Right=Wrong/Left=Right
ylexot said:
Actually, prices of goods will go up because the manufacturers who now have to pay more for their employees will have to increase prices to pay for it.
Not really. Last time I checked Bush let all the manufacturers go overseas. There wages wouldn't go up. Only American's who are making minimum wages would go up.

UrbanPancake

Right=Wrong/Left=Right
2ndAmendment said:
Again, you are showing your ignorance of economics. Prices will rise almost immediately. If costs go up, prices rise. This is especially true when costs go up universally as with a rise in the minimum wage, because there are no completive forces to keep them down.

The rise in minimum wage is one of the prime reasons for jobs going overseas. Labor has priced itself beyond completive levels. If business could produce the same product or service in the U.S. for the same cost, they would produce them in the U.S. if only to save the shipping which would be lower. Business can't; labor keeps going up because of wage compression.

I don't think you heard Kerry's plan. He wouldn't raise the wages all at one time. He would do it in increments. Plus with people making more they would buy more in general, which would bring equilibrium to the economy. People deserve to make more to put up with the crap they have to put up with when they take low income positions. This raise would only affect the jobs out there that are paying 5.15 p/hour. Most retailers are already paying more than 7 p/hour. So the price of goods wouldn't go up they would stay the same. If you think I'm misleading you check with your local Wal-Mart or Target. They'll prove what I'm telling you.

ylexot

Super Genius
UrbanPancake said:
Not really. Last time I checked Bush let all the manufacturers go overseas. There wages wouldn't go up. Only American's who are making minimum wages would go up.
Oh, ok. So increasing the minimum wage would push jobs overseas and create more unemployment unless the goverment also forces manufacturers to use American laborers. In which case the prices of goods will go up and negate the minumum wage increase. Smart plan :duh:

willie

UrbanPancake said:
I wonder how much Chenny could get for his?????
Way, way back you made one post that I semi agreed with and I very much regret giving you good karma for it.

ylexot

Super Genius
UrbanPancake said:
My point was, he was comparing homosexuality to mental illness in a way that made it sound like they were crazy and that's wrong.
I said no such thing. Your view is just so extremely colored by your opinion that you cannot consider other possibilities. To be fair, the same can be said about the opposing view. My view on homosexuality is neutral. I have seen nothing to sway me to one side or the other.

B

Bruzilla

BuddyLee said:
I think I got the bulk of what you are saying. Then we had a draft, now we don't. Now if you don't want to fight in our armed forces you don't have to. Then you could be drafted. However, I do believe Kerry volunteered. Perhaps he changed his mind after seeing the horrors of war.

Just for the record... Kerry did volunteer to join the Navy. The rest of the story is this: John Kerry was drafted into the Army and did everything he could to get out of it. He tried to get a college exemption (like Clinton got), but unlike Clinton, Kerry wasn't accepted to the college in France he said he was attending and the draft board declined his request. During the draft if you wanted to avoid service in the Army you could enlist in another service, which was why Kerry joined the Navy (not a bad idea to be a sailor in the middle of a ground war.)

He didn't volunteer out of a sense of service, he took the best of two bad situations for him.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Bruzilla said:
Just for the record... Kerry did volunteer to join the Navy. The rest of the story is this: John Kerry was drafted into the Army and did everything he could to get out of it.

He tried to get a college exemption (like Clinton got), but unlike Clinton, Kerry wasn't accepted to the college in France he said he was attending and the draft board declined his request.

Yep, he tried to get a one year exemption from the Selective Service( Draft Board), and was denied. He then volunteered in the Navy Reserves, hoping he could avoid any time in Vietnam.

During the draft if you wanted to avoid service in the Army you could enlist in another service, which was why Kerry joined the Navy (not a bad idea to be a sailor in the middle of a ground war.)

I'll be honest about it, I was drafted by the US Army in 1966, I was attending Albany State University, taking Computer Sciences courses; I didn't think it was the best thing for me to do( enter the Army), so before they got their mitts on me, I volunteered in the US Air Force instead. I never did see Vietnam - Alaska, Korea, Germany - yes.

He didn't volunteer out of a sense of service, he took the best of two bad situations for him.
J.F. Kerry thought the best and easiest way out for him was to join the Navy Reserves, figuring the chances of getting shipped out to Vietnam were pretty slim.

Imagine his surprise, when his unit was called up for duty in the Far East!

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
UrbanPancake said:
I don't think you heard Kerry's plan. He wouldn't raise the wages all at one time. He would do it in increments. Plus with people making more they would buy more in general, which would bring equilibrium to the economy. People deserve to make more to put up with the crap they have to put up with when they take low income positions. This raise would only affect the jobs out there that are paying 5.15 p/hour. Most retailers are already paying more than 7 p/hour. So the price of goods wouldn't go up they would stay the same. If you think I'm misleading you check with your local Wal-Mart or Target. They'll prove what I'm telling you.
You don't get it. It does not matter how slowly you raise the minimum. I will still cause prices to rise. You assume that it only effect the jobs that are paying $5.15. OK, so the feds raise the minimum by $0.25 to start, a modest increment. So the guys who are making $5.20, $5.25, $5.30, $5.35, and $5.40 before the raise and were better off because they made more than minimum wage are now only getting the minimum wage and instead of being father up the wage ladder, they are back on the bottom. Is it stating to make any sense to you now? It sounds great to say we'll help out the guy on the bottom, but it never works. The only way the guy on the bottom gets ahead is not as a class but as an individual by working harder and standing out or by getting a better job through training or education. In this regard, Bush is exactly right when he says education is the key to better and higher paying jobs.

Try reading this http://forums.somd.com/showthread.php?p=604506&highlight=markdown#post604506

BuddyLee

Football addict
Ken King said:
So why would it offend you when we were talking about Buddylee's reference to a fourth wound, you know one more then what had actually happened?
Thanks for catching that Ken. Three wounds doesn't make four purple hearts.