The few and far between Solomons Eateries

S

scupper trout

Looks like Harbor Sounds is closed for good, with no new buyer as of yet.

The Solomons Pier has closed as well (bought by Stoney's so the rumor is) and the Naughty Gull is 'closed for repairs'.

Looks like this spring may be either hopping or rather bleak this year on the island.

Anyone have any news on these places?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
scupper trout said:

The Solomons Pier has closed as well (bought by Stoney's so the rumor is) and the Naughty Gull is 'closed for repairs'.

Looks like this spring may be either hopping or rather bleak or totally this year on the island.

ALL I heard about was Harbor Sounds looking for a new tenant.. Pier, sign out front says closed for renovations, i can't believe they put all that work into replacing their gazebo and pier just to shut it down..

AS far as I am concerned Stoney's can go back where it came from, as long as they leave their Crab Soup behind.. rest of the food SUCKED..

mAlice

professional daydreamer
itsbob said:
AS far as I am concerned Stoney's can go back where it came from, as long as they leave their Crab Soup behind.. rest of the food SUCKED..

Really? Everything? Hmm. We must have gone on different nights. You must have quite an appetite to eat everything on the menu.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I like Stoney's. Good thing we still have CD Cafe, DiGiovanni's and the Dry Dock. I'd pick any of those places over Harbor Sounds, the Pier or Catamaran's any day.

Vince

scupper trout said:

Looks like this spring may be either hopping or rather bleak this year on the island.

Knew about Harbor Sounds, but Solomons Pier is a surprise. Didn't realize they were selling it.

Vince

RoseRed said:
I like Stoney's. Good thing we still have CD Cafe, DiGiovanni's and the Dry Dock. I'd pick any of those places over Harbor Sounds, the Pier or Catamaran's any day.
I like the Dry Dock and DiGiovanni's is great. They make a veal parmesian that will make you :cartwheel

Tomcat

Anytime
I've also been hearing rumors that the Tiki Bar was sold. But then again I heard they were tearing it down to build a new motel or something. :ohwell:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Tomcat said:
I've also been hearing rumors that the Tiki Bar was sold. But then again I heard they were tearing it down to build a new motel or something. :ohwell:

The Tiki Bar was sold. However, it's in legal limbo. John and Kathy will be opening Tiki in the spring.

Club'nBabySeals

Where are my pants?
DiGiovanni's is great.

:dead:

That's the worst "Italian" food I've ever had in my life---and it's priced like it's supposed to be gourmet.

The sad fact is that we really do NOT have a nice, REAL Italian restaurant anywhere in Southern Maryland. There's a thought for all you entrepreneurs...

Cletus_Vandam

Goos Eats

My wife and I lived in Solomons for about seven years. Left about two years ago.

CD Cafe' had some pretty good eats, but they aren't really a seafood place. Summertime is a little rough if you're eating there. I remember alway having to swat at the flies while eating-a real bummer!!!

A friend wanted to go to Stoney's one night, so we tried it. On a scale of 1 to 10. I give it about a 5 or 6 for food quality and a 2 for the prices. Considering the prices, I would expect to be sitting in more than a plastic patio chair...

A little place we used to always like was Bowens. It's small and familiy run. Good food and they are trying to fry frozen junk and pawn it off as fresh... At least that's the way it was a couple of years ago. Bowen's is on the left, right next to The Lighthouse. Has anyone been to Bowen's (lately)?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Club'nBabySeals said:
:dead:

That's the worst "Italian" food I've ever had in my life---and it's priced like it's supposed to be gourmet.

The sad fact is that we really do NOT have a nice, REAL Italian restaurant anywhere in Southern Maryland. There's a thought for all you entrepreneurs...

Maybe I've never had good italian food. Maybe you could explain to me what I should be looking for.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
elaine said:
Really? Everything? Hmm. We must have gone on different nights. You must have quite an appetite to eat everything on the menu.
Well, lets see, I had oywters that tasted like they were REAL old, like on the verge of going bad.. scallops that didn't taste like enything except the package they were frozen in.. and their FAMOUS crabcakes, though big, were middle of the road at best. I've lived here two years and the only time I had truly GOOD seafood was when I was on travel in NC... Granted I have a lot of places still to try, but nothing has impressed me yet.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Cletus_Vandam said:
A little place we used to always like was Bowens. It's small and familiy run. Good food and they are trying to fry frozen junk and pawn it off as fresh...
Is this what you meant or is it that they don't try to pass off frozen as fresh?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
itsbob said:
Well, lets see, I had oywters that tasted like they were REAL old, like on the verge of going bad.. scallops that didn't taste like enything except the package they were frozen in.. and their FAMOUS crabcakes, though big, were middle of the road at best. I've lived here two years and the only time I had truly GOOD seafood was when I was on travel in NC... Granted I have a lot of places still to try, but nothing has impressed me yet.

I've never had oywters, but everything else I've eaten there has been great. I ate the crab cakes once, but prefer the crab balls. I have no idea why they taste different, but that's what I usually get. The only place I've had better crab balls is at Don Sovino's. The best crab cakes are at Clarks Landing.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
:yay: CD Cafe, DiGiovanni's, Stoney's and DryDock all rock. I'd go to any of those places in a NY minute.

:boo: Coud do without Solomon's Pier, Catamaran's, and a few others, though, including the now-defunct Harbor Sounds.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
BadGirl said:

:boo: Coud do without Solomon's Pier, Catamaran's, and a few others, though, including the now-defunct Harbor Sounds.

I don't eat at Solomons Pier because it's owned by the same guy that owns Nicolleti's. I stopped going in Catamaran's a couple of years ago because the don't know the meaning of the word 'clean'. Harbor Sounds was never anything to write home about, but I did like their Swamp Burger. I can make it at home though.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
BadGirl said:
:yay: CD Cafe, DiGiovanni's, Stoney's and DryDock all rock. I'd go to any of those places in a NY minute.

ANy of them do beef well?? Nuttin better then a slab of cow...