The Horrific Story That Should Make Us Think Twice Before Giving Psychiatric Drugs To Kids

SamSpade

I have to disagree with this, everyone I know looks down on women that drink and smoke while pregnant.

I don't know about *smoking*. Fetal Alcohol Syndrome Disorder *IS* caused by a pregnant mother drinking during pregnancy.
It's why it's called that. Part of his brain does not exist. Part of it is badly damaged, and there are other markers and visible
traits - smaller head size, textbook behavior, missing philtrum, thin upper lip. This is not "guesswork". It is science.
Perhaps you'd like to see MRIs or X-rays or see the gene tests.

Some women get lucky. Sometimes they drink and it doesn't damage the fetus. Like I said earlier, as many as 1 in 20 kids have it,
and they're never prodigies as a result of the condition, although some can be bright. There's a really good chance that a LOT
of hyper violent people in the past were undiagnosed FASD.

Historically, a lot of these kids simply didn't *survive*, because a lot were born premature. Others like my son developed
problems with eating and he wasn't growing - he was massively undernourished.

FASD is not caused by *anything* else.

SamSpade

I remember back in the 90's it was considered something you should not do. I specifically remember the neighbors daughter having a kid with down syndrome and everyone blaming her for smoking and drinking.

Down's Syndrome is genetic.
FASD is not.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I remember back in the 90's it was considered something you should not do. I specifically remember the neighbors daughter having a kid with down syndrome and everyone blaming her for smoking and drinking.

Well they are cruel because that's not what causes Down Syndrome.

PeoplesElbow

Well they are cruel because that's not what causes Down Syndrome.

I wouldn't say they were cruel, she was also a habitual drug user, people just didn't talk about that part publicly. There was a lot going on there, shacking up with guys that smacked her kids around, 2nd husband shot the 4th one for being mean to his kids. The kid is around 10 yeard yonger than I am, his grandmother took care of him until she died, now he is a ward of the state.

DIdn't mean to go off on that tangent, the entire point of this is that people knew that drinking ans smoking were bad during pregnancy atleast back in the early 90's when I was a kid living next door to these people.

Last edited:

SamSpade

??
Your link does NOT dispute it is passed genetically - what they don't know is WHAT causes the genetic abnormality.
FASD *is* caused by damage to the fetus while in the womb - a child with FASD can grow up and have completely
normal children. It is just as though they suffer brain damage AFTER they are born. It is no more genetic than
losing an arm and worrying that your children will be born without an arm.

As much of a rap Wikipedia gets, it actually has a VERY good entry on FASD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fetal_alcohol_spectrum_disorder

PeoplesElbow

??
Your link does NOT dispute it is passed genetically - what they don't know is WHAT causes the genetic abnormality.
FASD *is* caused by damage to the fetus while in the womb - a child with FASD can grow up and have completely
normal children. It is just as though they suffer brain damage AFTER they are born. It is no more genetic than
losing an arm and worrying that your children will be born without an arm.

As much of a rap Wikipedia gets, it actually has a VERY good entry on FASD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fetal_alcohol_spectrum_disorder

Sam

I am not disagreeing that FASD is bad or even caused by the mother drinking, what I disagree with was the statement that you made that we think drinking while pregnant is no big deal here. I am 44 and for the part of my life that I bothered to listen to such knowledge (say 14-15 years old) I have known this. Your statement from a few days ago made it sound like we just found this out yesterday.

I do most likely believe that back when infant mortality was much higher that these children most likely did not survive as they do today.

SamSpade

Sam

I am not disagreeing that FASD is bad or even caused by the mother drinking, what I disagree with was the statement that you made that we think drinking while pregnant is no big deal here. I am 44 and for the part of my life that I bothered to listen to such knowledge (say 14-15 years old) I have known this. Your statement from a few days ago made it sound like we just found this out yesterday.

I do most likely believe that back when infant mortality was much higher that these children most likely did not survive as they do today.

Hmmm. Looking back over where I wrote that, I may not have expressed it well.
What I meant to say was that in many parts of this world (and to a MUCH smaller extent - but also sometime here - in the USA) -
it's dismissed as no big deal. Which is sad because in many parts of the world where people drink a LOT of alcohol - such as
Eastern Europe - there's a LOT of FASD.

I think people KNOW this, here - but you'll still run across someone who will roll their eyes and say something like "well I'm not
giving up my wine in the evenings" and go off. I've read many stories of FAS adults working in stores and walk away shaking their
heads because they just witnessed a pregnant woman buying alcohol, and get upset because they don't want what THEY have given
to another child. "Should I say something? Why would they do that?". Even with knowledge - there's resistance.

I am 58, and I can definitely say when I was growing up, I heard that you should cut down on alcohol, but an occasional drink is ok.
I don't believe that either because the window for brain damage is murky, and you really just shouldn't risk it. I know the hard and fast
rule is not at all in the 9th month, but the fact is, my son was born 6 weeks premature - and he has it. So just abstaining in the last
month still isn't doing it, because he clearly was damaged before the ninth month.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
such as Eastern Europe - there's a LOT of FASD.

I have to believe in some parts of the US - slums, ghettos, and the like - there is an enormous instance of FASD. Those girls don't know enough to not get pregnant at 13, they definitely don't know how to have a healthy pregnancy.

Maybe that's government's plan - start them out with a cognitive disadvantage and they'll be easier to subjugate.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I've read many stories of FAS adults working in stores and walk away shaking their
heads because they just witnessed a pregnant woman buying alcohol, and get upset because they don't want what THEY have given
to another child. "Should I say something? Why would they do that?". Even with knowledge - there's resistance.

I hate to nitpick, but buying is not the same as consuming. My husband used to buy Tampons for me. Should the cashier ask him if he's going to use them? When I was a kid, I bought cigarettes for my mom. Not once did a clerk ask if I was going to smoke them. I buy beer/wine/liquor all the time. Doesn't mean I'm going to consume it. People need to stop projecting their paranoia into every day life.

PeoplesElbow

Hmmm. Looking back over where I wrote that, I may not have expressed it well.
What I meant to say was that in many parts of this world (and to a MUCH smaller extent - but also sometime here - in the USA) -
it's dismissed as no big deal. Which is sad because in many parts of the world where people drink a LOT of alcohol - such as
Eastern Europe - there's a LOT of FASD.

I think people KNOW this, here - but you'll still run across someone who will roll their eyes and say something like "well I'm not
giving up my wine in the evenings" and go off. I've read many stories of FAS adults working in stores and walk away shaking their

I am 58, and I can definitely say when I was growing up, I heard that you should cut down on alcohol, but an occasional drink is ok.
I don't believe that either because the window for brain damage is murky, and you really just shouldn't risk it. I know the hard and fast
rule is not at all in the 9th month, but the fact is, my son was born 6 weeks premature - and he has it. So just abstaining in the last
month still isn't doing it, because he clearly was damaged before the ninth month.

:yay:

Just from guessing I would have thought the earlier months of pregnancy were the more important ones to abstain in.

Anyway back to drugs. I was amazed when I found out how many of my coworkers have prescriptions for some type of antidepressant. I have one coworker that should be on these types of drugs, but most of the others, I don't think should be. I am one of those people that thinks people shouldn't be on some sort of psychotic drug unless they are Norman Bates crazy. The last 10 years or so I have watched many of my favorite musicians die in their 40's and 50's, a few were heroin, but most of them were on some sort of antidepressant.

SamSpade

I hate to nitpick, but buying is not the same as consuming. My husband used to buy Tampons for me. Should the cashier ask him if he's going to use them? When I was a kid, I bought cigarettes for my mom. Not once did a clerk ask if I was going to smoke them. I buy beer/wine/liquor all the time. Doesn't mean I'm going to consume it. People need to stop projecting their paranoia into every day life.

In the specific story I know of with a bagger, there was a conversation with the person making a purchase (but not a confrontation);
similar with a busboy watching a pregnant woman have alcohol with her meal at a restaurant.

I thought it rather poignant that an adult with FASD was actually keenly aware of what was going on,
and rather surprising. My 13 year old absolutely would not have put it together.

black dog

Free America
Health warnings have been on cigarettes since 1965...Tv and Radio came to an end in 1970, it was well know back then they were bad not only for the smoker, but those around one and those that were pregnant.. Some here are kidding themselves..