The Life of an Addict

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I don't agree with this. The problem is with the individual not the prescription pain meds. If someone has to take pain killers for an extended period of time due to an accident or surgery any responsible doctor will wean them off of the medication when they no longer need it. Most of the problem is with the person taking the pain killers, they allow themselves to take more than they need to get the feeling of euphoria and then they are chasing that feeling and will selfishly try and get it by any means necessary. Doctors may be quick to give these meds out but blaming them is like blaming McDonalds for making me fat. When will people start taking personal responsibility and stop calling self inflicted situations a disease which is nothing more than a crutch.

I'm all for personal responsibility but that also applies to these doctors that think every person who falls or is injured in some way should get a prescription for a narcotic pain medication is just beyond ridiculous. I'm amazed at how many doctors will prescribe these drugs to people in the ER, having never met them before, or knowing very little or next to nothing about them or their medical history. I do look at the source of origination knowing that if it doesn't stop or change from that point forward, it can lead to an addiction in which those inflicted will turn to criminal activity in order to support it. Once it turns into criminal activity that is where we all become victims in some direct or indirect way.

luvmygdaughters

Again, this looks like a choice to me.

So, do you think your parents "examples" help you to make this choice?

Well, not examples exactly, threats of punishment, restriction and death seemed to do the trick for me when I was growing up. My parents didnt believe in the "My child is entitled to their privacy" group. They, mostly my mother, would go through our rooms, listen in on phone calls, call our friends parents and check out our stories. Guess what, never used drugs a day in my life. I know it sounds too simple, but, sometimes we overthink things. IMHO.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Well, not examples exactly, threats of punishment, restriction and death seemed to do the trick for me when I was growing up. My parents didnt believe in the "My child is entitled to their privacy" group. They, mostly my mother, would go through our rooms, listen in on phone calls, call our friends parents and check out our stories. Guess what, never used drugs a day in my life. I know it sounds too simple, but, sometimes we overthink things. IMHO.

I very much applied the "it takes a village" ideal to my kids. I knew all their friends parents, and we communicated constantly. This stopped when my kids entered high school, I didn't have a clue who most of their friends were, they seldom came to my house and my kids didn't go out much. Only years later did I find out how much "skipping" was going on. I went to parent conferences, but because their grades were average and above, teachers apparently didn't find it necessary to tell me how much class they missed (and I was too naive to ask).

bilbur

Did it skip generations, or did ya'll make a choice?

Are you and your siblings following your father's minimal drinking example?

It is hard to say, when I was younger I enjoyed getting fall down drunk but as I got older it just didn't appeal to me.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Again, this looks like a choice to me.

So, do you think your parents "examples" help you to make this choice?

I think it's choice, but I don't know what it's like to feel some overwhelming compulsion to do something to screw up my life. I'm not terribly self-destructive, even though:

You do smoke though, right?

Smoking doesn't impact or affect my life in a negative way. I'm not getting arrested for driving while smoking; I don't rob people for cigarette money; and I can still function at my job and do my normal life things. Not sure you can equate smoking to a true addiction.

gary_webb

Damned glad to meet you
Smoking doesn't impact or affect my life in a negative way.Yet I'm not getting arrested for driving while smokingYet; I don't rob people for cigarette money;Yet and I can still function at my job and do my normal life things.Except when I'm running outside to smoke every half hour Not sure you can equate smoking to a true addiction.Until it kills me.
Sorry, but....
This statement is the most striking example of the arguments and/or rationalizations of an addict in denial that any one will ever see.

afjess1989

Amount of F##Ks given, 0
My grand parents on my mothers side were alcoholics. My aunt who has a different dad than my mom is not a alcoholic. My mom, my late uncle and my other aunt had the same mother and father who are alcoholics. My mom is not a alcoholic but my aunt and unlce are alcoholics.

My grandfather on my dad side was a alcoholic but he doesn't drink anymore. My dad wouldn't be textbook alcoholic but he drinks. Both my parents smoke and my both sets of grandparents smoke. Neither I or my sister smoke or drink. Besides the social drink

With that being said, I have been offered to do drugs and smoke. It was then I could make a choice to do it or not. I chose not to get involved. I was offerd to smoke weed from a frien of mine 2 months ago. I could have said "sure! Why not" I chose not too.

I think everyone had a choice to do something. And as far as seeing addiction as a disease walks a very very fine line with me. Cause I see a disease as something you have no control over and with addiction you chose to use that drug.

Last edited:

Sweet 16

^^8^^
I think the article supports what many of us have been saying all along... the heroin problems have started with the over prescribing of pain pills.

No, the heroin problems started with the people shooting heroin. Period. And if ya can't afford the rehab, don't do the drugs! SMDH.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
What is considered an alcoholic?

That's a great question.

I was told once that because I like a glass of wine with Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter dinner, I am a holiday alcoholic.

And wanting a glass of wine when I had a plate of spaghetti made me a Spaghetti alcoholic.

Of course, this came from someone I considered a possible alcoholic.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Sorry, but....
This statement is the most striking example of the arguments and/or rationalizations of an addict in denial that any one will ever see.

I realize that you hope I will die of smoking but keep dreaming. I'll bet I outlive you.

:smile:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
That's a great question.

I was told once that because I like a glass of wine with Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter dinner, I am a holiday alcoholic.

And wanting a glass of wine when I had a plate of spaghetti made me a Spaghetti alcoholic.

Of course, this came from someone I considered a possible alcoholic.

Alcoholics are like born again Christians are like former smokers are like anyone who has changed their lifestyle: they think everyone has a problem and THEY!! have the answer. Tedious as hell and you just have to look at them and go, "Okay."

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I'll come sit next to you. :huggy:

The kicker is this line:

What, Ms. Rosela, do you want the county to do? YOU are the parent. What can the county give him that you cannot? Support? Supervision? It costs nothing to look up NA groups in this area and attend their meetings.

I get so tired of everyone thinking that it's up to the government to solve their problems and make their choices for them. I have sympathy for the parents of any kid who goes astray (unless the parent is a POS who is part of the problem), but at some point your kid needs to take responsibility for himself.

This is why I also get tired of the old "addiction is a disease" saw. No, it's not. Diabetes is a disease. Cancer is a disease. Addiction is a choice. Calling it a disease removes all responsibility from the addict, which is 9/10ths of their problem in the first place.

:dingding:

pelers

Alcoholics are like born again Christians are like former smokers are like anyone who has changed their lifestyle: they think everyone has a problem and THEY!! have the answer. Tedious as hell and you just have to look at them and go, "Okay."

If I ever go preachy about quitting smoking, please give me a swift :buttkick:

I really don't wanna be that person.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

I'm a former smoker (quit 13-1/2 years ago) and don't nag anyone about their smoking! :dance:

Hank

my war
I'm a former smoker (quit 13-1/2 years ago) and don't nag anyone about their smoking! :dance:

Me too! 20 years, next year for me! And I could give a crap less who smokes and where they do it...... except in my house. You can't smoke in my house.

MarieB

I think it's choice, but I don't know what it's like to feel some overwhelming compulsion to do something to screw up my life. I'm not terribly self-destructive, even though:

Smoking doesn't impact or affect my life in a negative way. I'm not getting arrested for driving while smoking; I don't rob people for cigarette money; and I can still function at my job and do my normal life things. Not sure you can equate smoking to a true addiction.

Yes, it is an addiction, but I've never heard the term "true" addiction.

yes smoking does impact a smoker's life in negative ways, and many/most of their employers if you are not self employed. Smoker's children are also like 40% more likely to smoke. There are alcoholics that get up every day, go to work, and drink their brains out on the weekends and never drive drunk or beat their kids - functioning addicts.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Me too! 20 years, next year for me! And I could give a crap less who smokes and where they do it...... except in my house. You can't smoke in my house.

I don't smoke in my own house. And only in the car with the window down.

Hank

my war
I don't smoke in my own house. And only in the car with the window down.

I don't mind if someone smokes in my vehicle as long as the window is down and they don't throw the butt out of it.

What time should I pick you up?

MarieB

I never nagged anyone about smoking when I quit, but you can't smoke in my car or in my house. My MIL visited recently, and she stayed in the car when I ran into the grocery store. On my way in, i heard my alarm go off - i must have armed it on the way in and she opened the door. When I came out, she was closing the door and my entire car smelled like smoke. I was pissed. I think she smoked while sitting in the seat with the car door open.