The Pit Boss Pro

Kinnakeet

My daughter got me this one, the only thing I've found it useful for is smoking bluefish.
What temp or setting does she have the grill set at? that thing looks awesome

SamSpade

My daughter got me this one, the only thing I've found it useful for is smoking bluefish.
I think the failing of these items is - nobody designs a gas grill to seal in smoke. Ever lift the lid of some of these big smokers? It's like freaking cast iron. And my smoker out back seals tight. When it's going full bore, you can't see inside - much.

I'm just curious about these stove top things that work the smoke flavor almost like a double boiler. Years ago, my cookng instructor used it to smoke fish - just a few wood chips for flavor and the rest was just - like grilling on a stovetop.

BUT - like I said - if they actually USE them on TV in competitions - they could actually be useful.

SamSpade

I use a weber gas grill and it is next to my Pit Boss smoker next to the weber charcol grill
Weber gas is the best gas grill I have ever had,the pit boss does its job and the charcol grill is also used to smoke indirectly which to me is better than the pit boss but you have to tend to it to much,Pit boss get it smoking put on your meal get out your 12 pack sit back relax and look at the probe temp every now and then and bingo you completed 2 chores dinner cooked and probably drunkeness
Yeah Igot the Pit Boss too - the tower kind? About the only time I look at it is to add water to the pan at the bottom.

But I am not good at this - my poultry always comes out tough and my pork comes out underdone. I've done a brisket ONCE and I just didn't cook it long enough or low enough heat. Ribs are about the only thing I've learned - by trial and error - to get right. Everyone is actually sick of ribs.

I think one thing I hate is - it takes so much work to fire up the old Pit Boss - it becomes a major undertaking. I don't just do a half rack of ribs - I do a half dozen full racks - because what's the point of running that thing all day for half a meal? So every time I run it, the damned thing is full to the gills.

AND - way back when I got the tower I didn't even know I needed pellets. I bought a chit ton of chips that have never even been opened, because I didn't know better. Just always wondered if there was a way to use them for something much faster than what I usually do.

Kinnakeet

Yeah Igot the Pit Boss too - the tower kind? About the only time I look at it is to add water to the pan at the bottom.

But I am not good at this - my poultry always comes out tough and my pork comes out underdone. I've done a brisket ONCE and I just didn't cook it long enough or low enough heat. Ribs are about the only thing I've learned - by trial and error - to get right. Everyone is actually sick of ribs.

I think one thing I hate is - it takes so much work to fire up the old Pit Boss - it becomes a major undertaking. I don't just do a half rack of ribs - I do a half dozen full racks - because what's the point of running that thing all day for half a meal? So every time I run it, the damned thing is full to the gills.

AND - way back when I got the tower I didn't even know I needed pellets. I bought a chit ton of chips that have never even been opened, because I didn't know better. Just always wondered if there was a way to use them for something much faster than what I usually do.
I have a pit boss 700 pellet smoker its ok and easy,The weber charcoal grill is much better but requires to much attention, after I put the charcoal to one side then I start adding hickory chips thru the hole I cut in the grate and I have to do that to often for me and that cuts into my fun time with beer but it is worth it.