The problem with cyber-bullying legislation

Cowgirl

I think the laws would be hard pressed to make one responsible for something they don't have access to.

I'd think the laws would be hard pressed to side with someone when they can simply NOT go to the website. :lol:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
What would you do...

I would impeach the first legislator who proposed this non sense. I would then have them hit with sticks and stones and then yelled at and called names, then repeat the process, over and over and over, until they figured it out.

:buddies:

K

Kain99

The entire forum, I'd imagine, is just as culpable in a public area as it is in a private area. In either instance, you're still providing them with the web space to commit the offense. That's the only reason someone would come after the forums owners anyway, not for their lack of moderating.

Speaking of fight club, I heard I got flamed in there again, pictures included. I hope it was at least funny this time :popcorn:

Black Francis has been posting pictures like crazy. Yep you were featured again Beta...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If you own the server, you can access anything and everything on it. Anything you don't have access to is by choice.

Well, we don't own the server - we rent it. So is our host now liable? And where does it stop? At what point should government butt out and make adults be responsible for their own actions?

And, considering how it goes on here, I'm curious how many of these famous cyber-bullying cases had the "victim" actually instigating it and egging it on? Because I know how people lose interest when it's no longer entertaining. And it's unlikely that people will keep on flaming after their target has disengaged.

K

Kain99

Anyone who is in FC is there voluntarily with the express desire to bully and be bullied. At what point are we released from responsibility in protecting people from themselves?

And this thread is not directed at any member in particular - it's a commentary on how silly cyber-bullying laws are and how they will eventually shut down free speech in favor of the mentally ill who shouldn't be on a forum in the first place.

The laws are silly but people are crazy! Since you own the forums I am not certain that you are ever released. Some of these people are nuts Vrai.

They will claim that you were made aware of the abuse and come after you and win.

It's just not worth it baby. :huggy:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The laws are silly but people are crazy! Since you own the forums I am not certain that you are ever released. Some of these people are nuts Vrai.

They will claim that you were made aware of the abuse and come after you and win.

It's just not worth it baby. :huggy:

But, again, when they are instigating it and egging it on, and it's crystal clear in their posts, why should it be up to me to "protect" them?

Plus, you'd be surprised at what people consider rude or bullying or abuse or whatever. I keep all that stuff, too, so when some crazy wants to get legal with it, I can simply produce the posts in question.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
"Your honor, my wife hurt my feeling on the Internets."

"You only have one feeling? What'd she do?"

"She called me a stupid mother####er..."

"Let me see if I have this right; You're wife called you a 'stupid mother####er'. On the Internets. And you got a lawyer and a court date over this. And took time out of your life for all of this. And you want me to do something about it? Like what? Agree with her?"

:jameo:

K

Kain99

But, again, when they are instigating it and egging it on, and it's crystal clear in their posts, why should it be up to me to "protect" them?

Plus, you'd be surprised at what people consider rude or bullying or abuse or whatever. I keep all that stuff, too, so when some crazy wants to get legal with it, I can simply produce the posts in question.

That is really smart! Protecting yourself has to be number #1! It may be wise to irradicate repeat offenders.

Do yourself a favor and talk to an attorney before these laws take hold.

Beta84

They're out to get us
I would impeach the first legislator who proposed this non sense. I would then have them hit with sticks and stones and then yelled at and called names, then repeat the process, over and over and over, until they figured it out.

:buddies:
:killingme

awesome

I don't think they own the server.
I was speaking in general terms I guess. I know these types of forums have admin who can view anywhere...but can restrict their own access. That's what I meant.

Black Francis has been posting pictures like crazy. Yep you were featured again Beta...
:bawl: I don't know how much more of this I can take behind my back :bawl:

Well, we don't own the server - we rent it. So is our host now liable? And where does it stop? At what point should government butt out and make adults be responsible for their own actions?

And, considering how it goes on here, I'm curious how many of these famous cyber-bullying cases had the "victim" actually instigating it and egging it on? Because I know how people lose interest when it's no longer entertaining. And it's unlikely that people will keep on flaming after their target has disengaged.
Exactly. Where does the liability end? You can argue that someone allowed it to happen and gave them the means to do it, but you can also argue that a car company isn't responsible for a driver's negligence in a car accident.

puggymom

I do not think kids need to be in chat rooms and posting on forums with strangers in the first place. My kids were well into their teens before I unblocked their access to stuff like that. And even then, me and Bebe Mama used to snoop in their account all the time, seeing what they were doing, what they were looking at, etc.

I think if you wouldn't allow your 13 year old into a huge party with a bunch of strangers of all ages, completely unchaperoned, you shouldn't allow them into a forum or chat. It's the same thing.

Oh I agree with children being on a site like this more formatted for adults. I was talking about bullying that happens on things like myspace or facebook when they think someone is their friend.

Beta84

They're out to get us
Uh oh, apparently I was :bawl: in here when I was just discussing stuff and nomoney dedicated a thread to me in Fight Club. Thanks sweetie! :huggy:

I'll make sure to cry about it to everyone in the Fight Club people are meamies campfire tonight.

UncleBacon

That's making the assumption the only people getting flamed in FC are members of FC.

That's all based on technicalities. Is the "forum owner" the one providing the space, or the one paying chump change to get their "own" forum? That's probably the main concern. We don't know who would be culpable based on the laws and whatnot. There aren't really any solid laws on this anyway.

but if you have a mpd in there and read everything that is being said about your other persona you really can't complain about being flamed

SamSpade

Cyber-bullying is only criminal when identities are KNOWN.

It's just crybaby tactics when you come on someplace, anonymously and get bothered by other people's behavior.

It's another when you're a teenager and someone posts embarassing personal material about you on the school or local website.

You know, we have SOMETHING akin to this on this website already - it's the site's fair use policy. You can post all you want, but if you quote from someone ELSE extensively, the SITE OWNER can just as easily get in trouble over it - because they allow it. We all recognize this rule.

If a site owner allows personal material to be floated about on their site that is an invasion of someone's personal nature and is not voluntarily given to the site - say, I decide to "out" someone without their permission - that's wrong and they should be able to take them to task over it. If such behavior has the sanction of the site owner, then they're also culpable.

This, at least, is my opinion on the matter.

I do not believe under any circmstances that you should be able to prosecute people for taunting or name-calling ESPECIALLY when everyone is anonymous.