The restoration has begun

I finally started the restoration/rebuilding/modification of my 15' 1957 Herter's Quebec runabout. Hopefully I will get it done and registered by about the end of August. I'll post pictures when I get on the right computer.

D

dems4me

huntr1 said:
I finally started the restoration/rebuilding/modification of my 15' 1957 Herter's Quebec runabout. Hopefully I will get it done and registered by about the end of August. I'll post pictures when I get on the right computer.

Awesome!!! Can't wait to see you out and about :clap:

SeaRide

huntr1 said:

Have fun .. don't forget to post the 'before', 'during', 'after' and 'maiden voyage' pics.

I have fond memories of my Dad's old boat (1950's) made out of aluminum.

BuddyLee

Football addict
huntr1 said:
Have fun with that, it will be worth it in the long run as I'm sure you already know. My parents owned a few antique shops until my little sister came along. Practically a quarter of my life has been spent going to auctions, looking for deals and refinishing antiques. I'm about to head out to my garage sometime in the near future and refinish a late 1800's to early 1900's book case for my room.

Otter

Nothing to see here
It was painted red the stripe was white
It was eighteen feet from the bow to the stern light
Secondhand from a dealer in Atlanta
I rode up with daddy when he went there to get her
We put on a shine; put on a motor
Built out of love, made for the water
Ran her for years, 'til the transom got rotten
A piece of my childhood that will never be forgotten

It was just on old plywood boat
With a '75 Johnson with electric choke
A young boy two hands on the wheel
I can't replace the way it made me feel
And I would turn her sharp
And I would make her whine
He'd say, "you can't beat the way an old wood boat rides"
Just a little lake across the Alabama line
But I was king of the ocean
When daddy let me drive

Just an old half ton shortbed ford
My uncle bought new in '64
Daddy got it right 'cause the engine was smoking
A couple of burnt valves and he had it going
He let me drive her when we'd haul off a load
Down a dirt strip where we'd dump trash off of Thigpen Road
I'd sit up in the seat and stretch my feet out to the pedals
Smiling like a hero that just received his medal

It was just an old hand-me-down Ford
With a three-speed on the column and a dent in the door
A young boy two honds on the wheel
I canö³t replace the way it mode me feel
And I would press that clutch
And I would keep it right
And he'd say, "a little slower son you're doing just fine"
Just a dirt rood with trash on each side
But I was Mario Andretti
When daddy let me drive

I'm grown up now three daughters of my own
I let them drive my old Jeep across the pasture at our home
Maybe one day they'll reach back in their file
And pull out that old memory
And think of me and smile and say

It was just an old worn out Jeep
Rusty old floorboard, hot on my feet
A young girl two hands on the wheel
I can't replace the way it made me feel
And he'd say, "turn it left and steer it right,
Straighten up girl, you're doing just fine"
Just a little valley by the river where we'd ride
But I was high on a mountain
When daddy let me drive

When daddy let me drive

Oh he let me drive

Daddy let me drive

It's just an old plywood boat
With a '75 Johnson with electric choke

BuddyLee said:
Have fun with that, it will be worth it in the long run as I'm sure you already know. My parents owned a few antique shops until my little sister came along. Practically a quarter of my life has been spent going to auctions, looking for deals and refinishing antiques. I'm about to head out to my garage sometime in the near future and refinish a late 1800's to early 1900's book case for my room.
I'd say 90% of the furniture in our house is antiques. We buy them cheap in beyond crappy condition and I completely restore them. Can't beat the quality, can't beat the sense of accomplishment when you see them before and after. Have a sideboard that we bought for $150 that was disgusting when we bought it. I took it completely apart, down to the point of taking the legs and seperating them into the 3 original 2"x6" boards and re-laminating them. The only part that I did not re-do on it is the mirror. It is beautiful now. Golden tiger oak, high gloss finish. You can see yourself in the finish. Was offered over $1K for it, but I bought it to use, not re-sell. Going to be starting on the restoration of an iron bed for my daughter in the next week or two.

otter said:
It was painted red the stripe was white
It was eighteen feet from the bow to the stern light
Secondhand from a dealer in Atlanta
I rode up with daddy when he went there to get her
We put on a shine; put on a motor
Built out of love, made for the water
Ran her for years, 'til the transom got rotten
A piece of my childhood that will never be forgotten...
I'm grown up now three daughters of my own
I let them drive my old Jeep across the pasture at our home
Maybe one day they'll reach back in their file
And pull out that old memory
And think of me and smile and say...
:yay: That's what I'm hoping for.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
huntr1 said:
I'd say 90% of the furniture in our house is antiques. We buy them cheap in beyond crappy condition and I completely restore them. Can't beat the quality, can't beat the sense of accomplishment when you see them before and after. Have a sideboard that we bought for $150 that was disgusting when we bought it. I took it completely apart, down to the point of taking the legs and seperating them into the 3 original 2"x6" boards and re-laminating them. The only part that I did not re-do on it is the mirror. It is beautiful now. Golden tiger oak, high gloss finish. You can see yourself in the finish. Was offered over $1K for it, but I bought it to use, not re-sell. Going to be starting on the restoration of an iron bed for my daughter in the next week or two.
What's your IQ?

SeaRide said:
Have fun .. don't forget to post the 'before', 'during', 'after' and 'maiden voyage' pics.

That's the plan.

BuddyLee

Football addict
huntr1 said:
Awesome! We probably have about the same percentage of furniture and the like in our home. It definitely beats buying some thin piece of crap that's not even made of wood these days especially if you get something that's made of walnut or mahogany, rarely seen these days. Plus, if you ever go to sell it you can almost always get more than what you paid for it.:yay:

P

Peewee

dems4me said:
Awesome!!! Can't wait to see you out and about and run you over cause I really don't know anything about boating:clap:

:fixed:

before

SeaRide said:

Some "before" pics.

Attachments

• Before Right Full Length.jpg
    Before Right Full Length.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 107
  • Herters Quebec Bow Plate.jpg
    Herters Quebec Bow Plate.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 127
  • Left Full Length.jpg
    Left Full Length.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 122
  • Right Bow.jpg
    Right Bow.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 98
During

SeaRide said:

After the 1st hour of work.

Attachments

• Herter Repair Right Keel Bow.jpg
    Herter Repair Right Keel Bow.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 82
  • Herter Repair Left 2B.jpg
    Herter Repair Left 2B.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 67
  • Herter Repair Keel Bow 1.jpg
    Herter Repair Keel Bow 1.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 59
  • Herter Repair 3.jpg
    Herter Repair 3.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 73
  • Herter Repair 1.jpg
    Herter Repair 1.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 75
BuddyLee said:
Nice. What kind of wood is that underneath, pine or oak?
None. The hull is entirely made of fiberglass. WHat you are seeing that looks like wood is a big honkin puddle of resin. Whoever "repaired" this thing in the past did some crappy work. Notice in the pictures of the blue part the nice smooth repairs.:rolleyes: I'm going to sand the entire hull down till it's smooth and then probably add a new couple of layers over the entire hull, then use fairing compound to smooth it out till perfect, then re-paint. Have lots of holes to fill. It should be beter than new when I am done with it.

SeaRide

So the boat has been modified a little bit? I see few seats being added on. Cleat(s) added on here and there? what else beside the shoddy fiberglass repair work?

Does the boat have any stringers of some sort? if yes, what is it made of?

SeaRide said:
So the boat has been modified a little bit? I see few seats being added on. Cleat(s) added on here and there? what else beside the shoddy fiberglass repair work?

Does the boat have any stringers of some sort? if yes, what is it made of?
The boat has been modified, but is still true to original design. The original bench seats have been replaced w/ 2x10 pine lumber and folding seats have been added to them. Aftermarket bow light and cleat, hole in rear right corner brace for stern light. Boat never had any stringers. Straight fiberglass hull. To stiffen it, an aluminum keel was bolted to the keel (yes, bolted) and a framework of aluminum channel was bolted to the inside. This was factory. The interior framework is broken and missing pieces. The bolted on keel is very badly corroded and broken in places. I am going to try to save the keel, but the interior framework is history. I plan to replace it with framework made from pressure treated lumber. There was no "floor" from the factory, but I plan to install one to make it easier to walk around. Instead of using bolts to attach the keel to the hull, I am planning to use a structural adhesive, like what the auto makers use to attach body panels to cars. No holes to leak, and plenty strong.

Here's a picture of what the interior floor bracing looks like (on a different Herter's, but same stuff).

Attachments

• Herter Floor Bracing.jpg
    Herter Floor Bracing.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 93