The US GOV on Sub Prime loans.

godsbutterfly

Free to Fly
I think that the issue is so much bigger than the government freezing or capping interst rates. All of these people signed a legal and binding contract. The situation that they are in now is unfortunate. It sucks that tons of people signed shady contracts, but I'm not sure that the best remedy is bailing everyone out. It sucks that we can potentially get dupped by all these companies, and it's sad the we feel so entitled to not even take responsibility for it. It's more about educating people. It boils down to ethics, and the fact that there are huge corporations feeding off of the undereducated and underpaid. It reminds me of the Visa and Mastercard tents that get set up on the beaches of Florida during Spring Break, where hundreds of drunk college kids sign up for credit cards with big limits and even bigger rates to go along with it. Should this be legal? I don't know. On the one hand, it is ethically wrong. On the other, it's capitalism at its finest. I guess the real question, for me, is how much responsibility should our government have with respect to fiscal responsibility ANDthe financial eucation of its citizens?

The contracts are pretty clear cut but what generally happens is that people think they will be more financially stable before the increase begins on their interest or they believe they will have come up with some brilliant way to refinance or the rate will never go up that much - you name it and they believe it! Then the "unthinkable" happens where the interest rate does shoot up there and their income does not and they are left crying and "caught completely unawares and unprepared" for what they were told would probably happen.

W

wkndbeacher

The contracts are pretty clear cut but what generally happens is that people think they will be more financially stable before the increase begins on their interest or they believe they will have come up with some brilliant way to refinance or the rate will never go up that much - you name it and they believe it! Then the "unthinkable" happens where the interest rate does shoot up there and their income does not and they are left crying and "caught completely unawares and unprepared" for what they were told would probably happen.

People are going to still have to refinance that have these ARMS and Interest only loans due to the presidents guidelines of having to be current and not missing a payment on your mortgage(either refinance or lose your home).