The US Government is About to Change Table Saws FOREVER!

SandieGarry

I have a Ridgid TS-3660 and will never get rid of it. It does everything that I need and then some. I have a Dewalt jobsite saw that is pretty awesome as well.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

After years of trying, the U.S. government may finally mandate safer table saws

Proponents say a new standard is long overdue​

Former acting CPSC Chairman Robert Adler says a standard requiring a blade brake "is long, long overdue." An average of more than 10 people per day in the U.S. suffer amputations on these types of saws, and "that is staggering when you think about it," he says. "I'm so thrilled to see it's very likely to occur now."

Adler, who was appointed by President Barack Obama in 2009 and served on the commission for 12 years, is a veteran of the fight for a new table saw safety standard. He calls the failure to require this type of feature on saws "the greatest single frustration I felt" while on the commission. He says that's because table saws are far and away the most dangerous tool that most Americans ever buy.

SawStop's competitors are represented by the Power Tool Institute, the trade group that includes big power-tool makers such as Bosch, DeWalt and Milwaukee, as well as lesser-known brands. The group maintains that the new safety rule would be an overreach.

"Small manufacturers may go out of business," Susan Orenga, the Power Tool Institute's executive manager, said at a public hearing on the new rule in February. Requiring the safety brake would raise the cost of table saws too much, she said. "Sales of table saws will decrease, resulting in unemployment, and the government could be creating a monopoly."

The industry has long maintained that since SawStop owns patents surrounding the safety technology, the company would unduly benefit from such a government-imposed standard. But at the same hearing where Orenga spoke, SawStop pledged to allow manufacturers to produce safer saws regardless of those patents.