This hyphen American thing is out of hand

Matthew

:yeahthat: Additionally, they fought, displaced, and killed each other for land and other things. Thus, the colonists "stealing this land" was not a new concept.

My ancestors originally came from the Basque country which is now divided between France and Spain. and centered in the Pyrenees, where they were driven by both the Iberians and Celtic tribes. To this day, they are still fighting for autonomy from the two. Yet, I also believe that they displaced older peoples also.
The point is that no one people can claim "inheritance". As stated, we all came from somewhere else and to deny that is just historically foolish.

Matthew

You can't say that! :lol:

LOL. I just did !
Now I have to keep real anonymous, as I am sure there is a Tar n Feather
party a gathering as well as a scalping group ready to pull a sun ceremony on me. Oh well, in this land one accepts the good and bad.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
LOL. I just did !
Now I have to keep real anonymous, as I am sure there is a Tar n Feather
party a gathering as well as a scalping group ready to pull a sun ceremony on me. Oh well, in this land one accepts the good and bad.

And it won't be the injun's a cominn' fer ya' nither. It's ll be the arbiters of who is allowed to be offended and why, or, Dems, for short.

BOP

First we are given African-American. The spelling bee champion was referred to as Indian-American. Then I read that the teenager killed in the Israeli incident was a Turkish-American. My heritage is Anglo-Swiss, but I refer to myself as an American and only an American.

if you can't consider yourself as an American first, go back to your where ever.

So that makes me Scots-Irish-Native American-German-Swiss-African American-English-French Canadian-American American?

:yahoo:

BOP

You never think ethnically? You never feel different or, at least, notice the difference, between yourself and other Americans? I've always noticed the differences between myself and Jews wearing a Yarmulke, the tighter male/male and female/female bonds of blacks, St. Patrick's Day has always been someone else's celebration to me, Italians are different, rednecks I know are different than other groups, yuppies, white wine drinkers, etc.

The thing, to me, that got lost in translation between the melting pot and individual freedom is that instead of just all being people who believe in life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness which, obviously, can be a great many different things while following the same basic rules of fairness, law and order, we've 'melted' into this people who react with horror over differences that have nothing to do with our own rights and freedoms.

I relate to Germans on many levels. And the English. And Scott's. And, if you can keep a secret, the French.

:buddies:

You're gay?

Does you-know-who know?

:jerry:

SamSpade

I think the United States may be one of the few places on earth where anyone bothers to make this distinction.

For example, if you're white and move to Japan, you will not be Euro-Japanese. You will not be any kind of Japanese, even if you become a citizen.

If you're white and move to most parts of Latin America, you'll be North Americano or gringo but you won't be a hyphenated anything. You're not one of them.

If you're black and move to China or Russia or any of a myriad of nations, you won't be hyphenated anything, they will just beat the crap out of you anytime they want, and the police will just look on and do nothing. They don't care if you're African-Russian. You'll get beat up just the same.

I don't know why anyone feels the need to hyphenate. If you're proud of your heritage, call yourself Irish or Italian. It will look stupid if, for instance, you actually GO to Ireland or Italy and you are treated like a doofus because you have absolutely no idea what it actually MEANS to be Irish or Italian, but go ahead and call yourself one.

We actually DO have a culture of our own in this country. If you don't believe it, spend some time elsewhere. It may not involve elaborate dances and funny hats and leiderhosen or a different language, but it is ours. We have a unique and peculiar perspective on liberty - we'd rather all be different and free than be like everyone else and be taken care of. It's just about impossible to intimidate the American people, at least, over time - eventually you will just piss them off, because deep in the American spirit is a distrust of authority and a profound hatred of tyranny.

We have a lot of things in common. We don't need this "thing" to make us different; we're a lot more alike than appearances might suggest.

AmericanMom

Keep out!
I think the United States may be one of the few places on earth where anyone bothers to make this distinction.

For example, if you're white and move to Japan, you will not be Euro-Japanese. You will not be any kind of Japanese, even if you become a citizen.

If you're white and move to most parts of Latin America, you'll be North Americano or gringo but you won't be a hyphenated anything. You're not one of them.

If you're black and move to China or Russia or any of a myriad of nations, you won't be hyphenated anything, they will just beat the crap out of you anytime they want, and the police will just look on and do nothing. They don't care if you're African-Russian. You'll get beat up just the same.

I don't know why anyone feels the need to hyphenate. If you're proud of your heritage, call yourself Irish or Italian. It will look stupid if, for instance, you actually GO to Ireland or Italy and you are treated like a doofus because you have absolutely no idea what it actually MEANS to be Irish or Italian, but go ahead and call yourself one.

We actually DO have a culture of our own in this country. If you don't believe it, spend some time elsewhere. It may not involve elaborate dances and funny hats and leiderhosen or a different language, but it is ours. We have a unique and peculiar perspective on liberty - we'd rather all be different and free than be like everyone else and be taken care of. It's just about impossible to intimidate the American people, at least, over time - eventually you will just piss them off, because deep in the American spirit is a distrust of authority and a profound hatred of tyranny.

We have a lot of things in common. We don't need this "thing" to make us different; we're a lot more alike than appearances might suggest.

:buddies:

Matthew

AMEN, friend