THIS SHOULD BE INTERESTING

StmarysCity79

If it were really a deterrent defines wouldn't be so low. As we've already seen once they stop bringing in money, politicians response isn't "yay We've succeeded how great for us". The response is let's crank up the fine so we get more money".

Remember the statewide legislation to allow this was ghost written by automated enforcement companies and they're drawing it very fine. Line to remain a symbiote not a parasite parasites. Get scraped off symbiotes get to stick around

I do think it is a mistake to allow private companies to direct law enforcement and legislation in general.

In Finland speeding fines are calculated as a percentage of your income. So everyone would pay !% of their income for an infraction over 25 MPh for example.

Which i think would be a much better system.

StmarysCity79

If you need more money for your officers and their equipment, be honest about it and raise the damn taxes.

But absolutely no one is going to vote for that, let's tax you higher so we can fine you more.

It's unfortunately not a winning campaign slogan.

luvmygdaughters

Last year I got a camera ticket in the mail from Baltimore city for blocking a cross walk. The irony is, I've never been to Baltimore city.

Even though they had a picture of the vehicle, which was not mine and did not have my tag on it, some dyslexic retard still entered the wrong tag number.

Took six months to clear it up. Which is probably better then StShlttyCity could do.
Same thing happened to my husband a couple of years ago. Wasnt his vehicle and you could almost make out the tag number. It took us about 3 months to get that straight.

3CATSAILOR

Be careful what you wish for…
What is interesting to me is that a Democrat State which of course is all about revenue has enticed our Republican Sheriff AND our Republican County Commissioners in to believing Speed Cameras is a good thing. How they did it is by throwing them some money their way. A sack of money is a hard thing to resist. Therefore, I don't blame our County Commissioners or the Sheriff. Even though if everyone is honest for a change, it does at the very least, have an appearance of "Greed" as a deciding factor.

PeoplesElbow

4. What do the financial sides of the proposal look like? Will they commit to making this revenue neutral and locking in a fixed price contract, not a percentage of all money taken in? Will they lock in that all govt revenue received be used for non govt charitable purposes? Say a fund to assist needy seniors with tax bills stave off foreclosure or similar. Th point is to remove the revenue motive
I could get behind this.

I could see the cameras and more enforcement like a broken window law for traffic infractions. Now people know there are no consequences unless you kill someone.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Last year I got a camera ticket in the mail from Baltimore city for blocking a cross walk.
5 years ago we got notice of a civil lawsuit claiming my wife almost hit a pedestrian in a part of Baltimore we've never been.
When we got the papers, license plate was correct but color and model of her car were wrong.
She drives a blue Ford Focus, papers stated a black Ford Expedition, just a slight difference.
Sent the papers with a picture of her car to the AG's office for legal complaints and the bar Association's similar office.
Also a copy of our time cards from work showing her on base and me at Lowe's at the time.
Lawsuit went away, as I understand, lawyer was censured.

Last time we've been to Baltimore was June 2016 for my 1 year follow up with the cancer surgeon.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Had it been stolen?
I think someone was likely walking the hospital parking garage jotting down plate numbers and got the cars mixed up.
Also, might have been the hotel where we stayed for the AHA homebrew convention that year.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
I say we all boycott the speed cameras.

Learn to use your cruise control all the time. Spot dot on the speed limit. Give them no money.

That'll show them.

glhs837

Power with Control
I say we all boycott the speed cameras.

Learn to use your cruise control all the time. Spot dot on the speed limit. Give them no money.

That'll show them.
Or you can set it for 10 over since the cameras only trigger on 12. If they're set accurately then you should be fine. :)

3CATSAILOR

Well,

I am glad to see that we finally have the Speed Cameras going in. I have been waiting for it for years now. Of course the red light cameras will follow afterward. But, one thing at a time. People are driving way too fast. And with the $40.00 fine that will be going up 500% according to the Governor's request to our Legislators, there should not be a need to raise taxes anymore in St. Mary's County. It is a relief that the cameras are essentially a done deal. The Commissioners are sure to approve it, regardless of what the folks say that do not want it at the meeting. Just a matter of time now. Again, I am sure this is already a done deal. Who turns down free money from those that speed? I guess the meeting is a requirement. I am just surprised we don't have them up already. It is about time though.

The Commissioners of St. Mary’s County (CSMC) will host a Public Hearing on Tuesday, November 14, 2023, at 6:30 p.m. in the CSMC meeting room in the Chesapeake Building, located at 41770 Baldridge Street in Leonardtown.

This Public Hearing will allow residents to speak directly to the Commissioners on the topic of the proposed Ordinance to Establish the School Zone Speed Camera Safety Program. Residents may offer appreciation, questions, or suggestions in a mutually respectful format.

Those wishing to speak at the hearing will receive up to three minutes to address the Commissioners. Public hearing information and related documents can be viewed online at www.stmaryscountymd.gov/publichearings.

Anyone wishing to provide more detailed feedback to the CSMC can do so at any time via:

• Email to: csmc@stmarysmd.com
  • Mail to: Commissioners of St. Mary’s County, P.O. Box 653, Leonardtown, MD, 20650
Submissions will be considered by the CSMC at the Public Hearing and up to seven (7) days following the public hearing. All submissions must be received no later than 5 p.m. on Tuesday, November 21, 2023. Public Hearing guidelines are subject to change.

Note that because of the evidence and comments made at the public hearing, amendments may be made to the proposed Ordinance to Establish the School Zone Speed Camera Safety Program.

Appropriate accommodation for individuals with special needs will be provided upon request. To meet these requirements, we respectfully request one (1) week’s prior notice. Please contact the CSMC Office at 301-475-4200, ext. 1340. Proceedings are televised live and recorded for later broadcast.

All content of these proceedings is subject to disclosure under the Maryland Public Information Act. Photographic, electronic audio-visual broadcasting and recording devices are used during CSMC meetings. These are public meetings and attendance at these meetings automatically grants SMCG permission to broadcast your audio and visual image

CSMC County Public Hearings are televised live on St. Mary’s County Government (SMCG) TV Channel 95 and streamed live on the St. Mary’s County YouTube Channel
Supposedly the 500% increase is only for Work Zones. I suspect it will spread to School Zones at a later date. However, people will probably start to challenge a $200.00 School Zone ticket.

glhs837

Power with Control
So I'll keep trying to submit my questions via the website since I'll be in Jacksonville for the meeting. Maybe some are answered online, but that links not working either. If anyone elses planning on going wants to ask these, feel free. Any I've missed?

1. Are there statistics showing that speeding in county school zones have caused injuries or fatalities?
2. If so, what amount of enforcement time have the Sheriff or State Police devoted to school zones over the last say three years? If npt, why are we considering these. NOTE: A survey that shows people speed in school zones isn't justification if there's no evidence that this has caused problems.
3. What percentage of the ticket goes to the vendor? (That might get kicked out til they get the law passed and seek vendors.)
4. What oversight mechanisms are built into the law? Who can audit the calibration and self test logs?
5. Will the county commit to a truly independent ombudsman
6. Will the county commit to only placing these on roads directly in front of the school where students and buses enter and exit? For instance, Green Holly shouldn't let you place on on Rt 235.

3CATSAILOR

So I'll keep trying to submit my questions via the website since I'll be in Jacksonville for the meeting. Maybe some are answered online, but that links not working either. If anyone elses planning on going wants to ask these, feel free. Any I've missed?

1. Are there statistics showing that speeding in county school zones have caused injuries or fatalities?
2. If so, what amount of enforcement time have the Sheriff or State Police devoted to school zones over the last say three years? If npt, why are we considering these. NOTE: A survey that shows people speed in school zones isn't justification if there's no evidence that this has caused problems.
3. What percentage of the ticket goes to the vendor? (That might get kicked out til they get the law passed and seek vendors.)
4. What oversight mechanisms are built into the law? Who can audit the calibration and self test logs?
5. Will the county commit to a truly independent ombudsman
6. Will the county commit to only placing these on roads directly in front of the school where students and buses enter and exit? For instance, Green Holly shouldn't let you place on on Rt 235.
You should check out the "Chesapeake Today". It mentions Charles County did not administer their program correctly and has to issue millions back to those that were illegally charged. In my opinion, our County Commissioners could care less what the people have to say. I am 100% confident this is already a secretly signed deal. New "School Zone" signs already already going up in the County. I saw a new one on Great Mills Road for example. They would NOT be interested doing that unless it is about more revenue possibilities. As I mentioned earlier, the school is half a mile away from the main road. It is insanity for the purpose of collecting money. As I said, I support the speed cameras if they were legal. They do not appear to be though.

glhs837

Power with Control
You should check out the "Chesapeake Today". It mentions Charles County did not administer their program correctly and has to issue millions back to those that were illegally charged. In my opinion, our County Commissioners could care less what the people have to say. I am 100% confident this is already a secretly signed deal. New "School Zone" signs already already going up in the County. I saw a new one on Great Mills Road for example. They would NOT be interested doing that unless it is about more revenue possibilities. As I mentioned earlier, the school is half a mile away from the main road. It is insanity for the purpose of collecting money. As I said, I support the speed cameras if they were legal. They do not appear to be though.
I saw that article. Nailed it pretty well.

3CATSAILOR

I saw that article. Nailed it pretty well.
Yeah, it is unfortunate that Charles County did it. I assume it was an accident. An accident or not, it does give the appearance of corruption. I hope St. Mary's doesn't fall in to that trap once the cameras are installed here. And yes, they are coming. From there, the folks of this County should expect it to expand throughout the County to include outside of School Zones. Folks can complain all they want. It won't do any good.

Kinnakeet

Charles County is ran by negros exploiting their power against the man while letting the negro population do what they want oh and they are stealing our tax money but what do you expect