This week's Zogby

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
vraiblonde said:
Okay, but think about it: why would you own pets if you can't care for them? Then wander around crying about how they're the only thing in the world that matters to you, yet you don't even have the means to get out of the way of a hurricane???

Exactly. HOWEVER, if I didn't have a car, or I was somehow incapacitated (as some people were) I'd die with my pets, I guess. I think for some of these people, it's a catch 22. They did evacuate, thinking they'd get back to get their pets. Left them with food, water, whatever. Now, they can't get back in to get them. Some brought the pets with them to shelters only to be told they couldn't take the pets in with them and had to turn them over to guardsmen, etc. and now they are trying to reunite with their pets. A good many of the people looking for their pets are good pet owners.

vraiblonde said:
So you, Cattitude, wouldn't be in a situation where some helicopter dude had to come save your life and force you to leave your babies behind - you, as a responsible pet owner, would have already made arrangements for them and yourself in the event of a hurricane you knew was coming.
I would hope not but you don't always know what hand life will deal you. At this point in my life I have good fortune, I have money, I have a car. Maybe when I'm a little old lady, I will still have a pet, and I don't drive anymore and my children are gone..or for some other reason I am unable to get out...I'm dying with my pet.

And another thing...Catt in a helicopter? Yeah..that's gonna happen. :lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
cattitude said:
A good many of the people looking for their pets are good pet owners.
I don't believe that. If they don't even have transportation, how do they get their pet to the vet?

Maybe when I'm a little old lady, I will still have a pet, and I don't drive anymore and my children are gone.
Your children aren't going to be gone to the point where they won't even take you in in the event of a hurricane. And if they are, you can come to my house - pets and all. Everyone has someone, even if it's just a friend.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Do you strongly agree, somewhat agree, somewhat disagree, or strongly disagree that the coverage of Hurricane Katrina helped produce better results from government than would have otherwise occurred?

Strongly agree
Somewhat agree
Somewhat disagree
Strongly disagree
Not sure

What term do you think should be used to refer to the people who have been displaced because of Hurricane Katrina?

Victims
Refugees
Evacuees
Survivors
None of the above
Not sure

Do you strongly agree, somewhat agree, somewhat disagree, or strongly disagree that New Orleans WILL be re-built as it was before the hurricane?

Strongly agree
Somewhat agree
Somewhat disagree
Strongly disagree
Not sure I hope their not that stupid

Do you strongly agree, somewhat agree, somewhat disagree, or strongly disagree that New Orleans SHOULD be re-built as it was before the hurricane?

Strongly agree
Somewhat agree
Somewhat disagree
Strongly disagree They better not be that stupid
Not sure

Would you strongly support, somewhat support, somewhat oppose, or strongly oppose increasing taxes to pay for rebuilding New Orleans?

Strongly support
Somewhat support
Somewhat oppose
Strongly oppose I'm really tired of hearing all about NO and nothing about the communities in Mississippi
Not sure

Would you strongly support, somewhat support, somewhat oppose, or strongly oppose increasing taxes to pay for improvements to levees around the country to avoid future floods?

Strongly support
Somewhat support
Somewhat oppose
Strongly oppose No, the states should use the money appropriated for the levees ON the levees and not squander it.
Not sure

Some estimates are that as many as 50,000 pets have been stranded by Hurricane Katrina. Do you agree or disagree that official rescue efforts for any disaster - flooding, earthquakes, storms, fire, etc. - should include rescuing pets?

Agree They are living creatures and shouldn't be ignored. Pet friendly shelters help people evacuate and save their pets.
Disagree
Not sure

Reports are that pets, left in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, are on the verge of starvation and dehydration. Who do you think should be most responsible for getting food and water to these pets or getting them to shelter?

Government disaster relief agencies, like FEMA
Private relief agencies, like the Red Cross
Animal welfare or animal rights groups like the Humane Society
Individual pet owners

A combination of all of them
Not sure

There are some reports that animal rescue groups were not allowed into the flooded areas to begin rescuing animals until much of the rescuing of people was complete. Do you agree or disagree that animal rescue efforts by these groups should be allowed to take place at the same time rescue efforts for people by the Red Cross and others are taking place?

Agree
Disagree As much as I love animals, people first. But they shouldn't just ignore the plight of the pets. Get in as soon as feasible.
Not sure

As many as 10,000 people in New Orleans may have refused evacuation because they stayed behind to care for pets and other animals. How likely would you be to refuse to evacuate an area before a disaster struck because you were not able to take your pets with you?

Very likely
Somewhat likely
Not very likely
Not at all likely
Not sure Mine are all small so I'm sure I'd smuggle them out somehow. Then again I'd be going under my own power.

How likely would you be to refuse to be rescued after the disaster has struck because rescuers refused to allow you to take your pets with you?

Very likely
Somewhat likely
Not very likely
Not at all likely Mainly because I wouldn't hang around to be rescued if at all possible. You can run from a hurricane, twisters however......
Not sure

Which do you think should be the top story on the nightly news: the confirmation hearings for Chief Justice nominee John Roberts or the ongoing relief efforts in New Orleans?

Confirmation hearings
Relief efforts in New Orleans
Neither
Not sure

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
cattitude said:
Exactly. HOWEVER, if I didn't have a car, or I was somehow incapacitated (as some people were) I'd die with my pets, I guess.

:
This would be my sister. She is disabled so she has a great deal of difficulty getting from point A to point B but would never leave without her dogs. NEVER. She places her dogs before all human life, even her own. If she couldn't take them with her, she'd die trying to save them.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
bresamil said:
This would be my sister.
Okay, but wouldn't you go get her and put her up? They just said they wouldn't rescue unattended pets nor would the shelters put them up - they didn't say they wouldn't drag people and their pets out of there and someone else could come get them.

I think this pet issue is overblown, that's all. Just like this whole NO thing is overblown. Why are they evacuating these people to other states? Why not shelter them in Louisiana? It's a decent sized state and it's only one city, and not even all the people in that city.

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
vraiblonde said:
Why can't Louisiana pay for the rebuilding of New Orleans? Why the hell should WE have to pay for it??? And why should the rest of us pay to reinforce other cities that lie in flood zones???

Friggin' Communists. :rolleyes:

When the Mayor was on with Russert he told the nation that he would re-build New Orleans without the assistance of outside agencies. Then he said that anyone who tried to rebuild New Orleans would have to clear it with New Orleans first. Then he said he can't pay the light bill.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
vraiblonde said:
Okay, but wouldn't you go get her and put her up?
When did they issue the evacuation? I can't remember, but I do know that it takes a looong time to drive down there (like 18 or so hours from here), and it was probably pretty hard to find a flight down there (the last flight before the hurricane hit was Sunday at 1:30), so unless you lived close, it would probably be tough to get down there, get someone, then fight with everyone else to get out of the city. :shrug:

donbarzini

vraiblonde said:
Why not shelter them in Louisiana? It's a decent sized state and it's only one city, and not even all the people in that city.

Vrai, In principle I agree with you; but realistically, do you think those morons at the state and municipal levels are even capable of caring for themselves? All they had to do was shore up a dirt hill to keep water from coming through and they couldn't do that!! You really think they'd be capable of finding a place within their own confines for their evacuees? You give them WAAAAY too much credit.

Mikeinsmd

Lenny said:
When the Mayor was on with Russert he told the nation that he would re-build New Orleans without the assistance of outside agencies. Then he said that anyone who tried to rebuild New Orleans would have to clear it with New Orleans first. Then he said he can't pay the light bill.
:killingme Good one Lenny!!! This post highlights the idiots in charge down there!! :killingme

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Nickel said:
When did they issue the evacuation?
It was two or three days before the hurricane hit - I remember seeing the lines of cars on TV trying to get out of the area. And my aunt's folks were long gone by the time Katrina hit, so there was time.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
donbarzini said:
Vrai, In principle I agree with you; but realistically, do you think those morons at the state and municipal levels are even capable of caring for themselves?
Obviously not. This situation highlights what happens when the federal government becomes too powerful and intrusive - it creates dependency at the state level and makes them welfare cripples. We've talked earlier on here about the actual people themselves, and how they've been successfully neutered by dependency - but this seems to be the whole state, not just a few poor people in New Orleans.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:
Obviously not. This situation highlights what happens when the federal government becomes too powerful and intrusive - it creates dependency at the state level and makes them welfare cripples. We've talked earlier on here about the actual people themselves, and how they've been successfully neutered by dependency - but this seems to be the whole state, not just a few poor people in New Orleans.
The Civil War was more about states rights and less about slavery than people want to realize. History books don't say that Lincoln was a bad president which is the truth since he completely stepped on the Constitution and the sovereignty of the states. The states, southern and the rest, have been cripples looking for handouts ever since.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Lenny said:
I think its funny the mayor is saying anything about NO considering he just bought a house in Dallas.