To the two cars that tailgated us today on St. Andrew's Church Road. . .

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
So he stayed with the flow of traffic in the right lane? Good. Nobody likes a lane blocker :)

Yep, speed limit was 70mph so he was told to keep it under 80mph. Only time he got into the left lane was to pass and then promptly got back into the right lane.

PeoplesElbow

I always thought the rookie driver bumper stickers were a joke too, along the lines of the "Tailgate me and ill flip a booger on your windshield" ones.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
:lol:

She was nervous but did great.

I had to put my foot down when he wanted to drive to pick up dinner over the TJ Bridge during that horrible wind storm a few weeks ago. Lucky for us, there's Five Guys in Prince Frederick so he drove there instead of the one in SMC.

Christy

b*tch rocket
It is my humble opinion that we molly coddle our children WAY too much. Life is dangerous and kids need to learn how to deal with it and not be afraid of everything because we, as parents, are so hyper sensitive to their safety. I mean of course we all want our kids to be safe, but they also need to be able to think on their own and make the right decisions on their own without Mom and Dad jumping in to "protect" them.

When I got my first car, my father drove with me to work once and then let me loose. It was absolutely terrifying. I got lost more than once in really crappy parts of DC. But I overcame it, and learned how to drive in that mad place. My proudest moment was when I was successfully able to cut off a DC taxi cab. :lol: That takes skill and bravery, because those guys are nuts!

Anyway, my point is to stop getting the vapors over your kid having to deal with ####ty drivers. It's a good life skill to learn. :yay:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
It is my humble opinion that we molly coddle our children WAY too much. Life is dangerous and kids need to learn how to deal with it and not be afraid of everything because we, as parents, are so hyper sensitive to their safety. I mean of course we all want our kids to be safe, but they also need to be able to think on their own and make the right decisions on their own without Mom and Dad jumping in to "protect" them. When I got my first car, my father drove with me to work once and then let me loose. It was absolutely terrifying. I got lost more than once in really crappy parts of DC. But I overcame it, and learned how to drive in that mad place. My proudest moment was when I was successfully able to cut off a DC taxi cab. :lol: That takes skill and bravery, because those guys are nuts! Anyway, my point is to stop getting the vapors over your kid having to deal with ####ty drivers. It's a good life skill to learn. :yay:

I learned in the San Francisco Bay Area. I can drive anywhere!

glhs837

Power with Control
It is my humble opinion that we molly coddle our children WAY too much. Life is dangerous and kids need to learn how to deal with it and not be afraid of everything because we, as parents, are so hyper sensitive to their safety. I mean of course we all want our kids to be safe, but they also need to be able to think on their own and make the right decisions on their own without Mom and Dad jumping in to "protect" them.

When I got my first car, my father drove with me to work once and then let me loose. It was absolutely terrifying. I got lost more than once in really crappy parts of DC. But I overcame it, and learned how to drive in that mad place. My proudest moment was when I was successfully able to cut off a DC taxi cab. :lol: That takes skill and bravery, because those guys are nuts!

Anyway, my point is to stop getting the vapors over your kid having to deal with ####ty drivers. It's a good life skill to learn. :yay:

While I do agree with the fact that we need to teach them, I do not agree with the "Off the deep end first time in the pool" method, even though I'm a survivor of that myself. My kids received very intensive training. Not in being timid, but in the full gamut. Dark, crappy traction, surprises from the side of the road. How to push start, all sorts of things.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Are you that fat bald headed white guy that drives the black vette like a Ahole that drives from New Market Turner to Pax every day ?
He drives like you think, no respect for others, tailgating, passing on blind curves and on and on.

No, but are you the twit that forgets to move when the light turns because you are trying to make yourself look better - trust me, you'll need a hell of a lot more time than a red light for that.

BernieP

Resident PIA
While I do agree with the fact that we need to teach them, I do not agree with the "Off the deep end first time in the pool" method, even though I'm a survivor of that myself. My kids received very intensive training. Not in being timid, but in the full gamut. Dark, crappy traction, surprises from the side of the road. How to push start, all sorts of things.

I'm not an advocate of pushing anyone off the deep end, it doesn't work in swiming and it works no better when used figuratively.
But I also agree with Christy, "top getting the vapors over your kid having to deal with ####ty drivers"
It's something they have to learn to deal with, in a safe manner, not in the azzhole manner as advocated by some.

As "aggressive" as some think I might drive, I acuired the skill to monitor the traffic around me , a full 360, and to anticipate what some yahoo in the forward 180 might do.
That skill has kept me from being T-boned by a vehicle that I somehow knew would run the red light, as well as avoiding the sudden lane changer or braking.

Restitution

No matter what you do... NO ONE will be able to account for azzhole drivers. PERIOD!

For example.... yesterday....

Driving NB on 235 (just south of the Toyota dealership) and stuck in base traffic. Bumper to bumper. Some good-hearted folks decide to stop and let a U-turn vehicle get into the mix otherwise the poor guy would have been there for hours. As soon.... and I mean as soon as I saw the guy attempting the U-turn I immediately looked in the rearview and side mirrors to check the turn lane. SURE ENOUGH.... some azzhat was racing up the turn lane and SMASH!!!!!! Ended up side swiping the U-turn vehicle. Both were OK but still....

Cannot account for idiots that only think of themselves. Get used to it!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
No matter what you do... NO ONE will be able to account for azzhole drivers. PERIOD! For example.... yesterday.... Driving NB on 235 (just south of the Toyota dealership) and stuck in base traffic. Bumper to bumper. Some good-hearted folks decide to stop and let a U-turn vehicle get into the mix otherwise the poor guy would have been there for hours. As soon.... and I mean as soon as I saw the guy attempting the U-turn I immediately looked in the rearview and side mirrors to check the turn lane. SURE ENOUGH.... some azzhat was racing up the turn lane and SMASH!!!!!! Ended up side swiping the U-turn vehicle. Both were OK but still.... Cannot account for idiots that only think of themselves. Get used to it!

Last time that happened, the dude on his crotch rocket died.

I witnessed an accident yesterday evening when some dumbass in the center lane decided he wanted to turn into the Longhorne. You guessed it, turned right in front of a car that was rightfully in the turn lane.

:doh:

Clem72

Stop reading now if you don't want your feelings hurt

Signs on or in your vehicle telling other drivers to beware of your problem are pure BS.
Why do I care if you have a baby on board, do you get special traffic rules or rights of way?
Ditto the "Rookie Driver" sign.

As my momma use to say, if you can't handle the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

There is no "beltway" training area. If your darling is tense behind the wheel, stick to the neighborhood streets until they are more comfortable. Don't put others at risk because they need to learn.

Right or wrong, people are going to tailgate, learn to deal with it. If you want to cause an accident, then be an ass. Otherwise, do the speed limit, drive properly and ignore them.

Still would like to hear what a "Baby on Board" sign is supposed to indicate - that you lost a few brain cells along the way?

I'm with you on that, but I expand it to almost all signs/insignias that indicate group status.

No one ever converted an atheist to Christianity through a fish on their car. I don't believe that's the expectation, so why is it there? Likely in hopes they will receive preferential treatment from other drivers/cops/etc.

Exact same for FOP family stickers or ones indicating you donated to a specific charity.

It's not about the subject, it's all about you.

Now, things like "Prevent elder abuse", or breast cancer awareness ribbons, or jokes about rocking vans don't bother me.

Clem72

Last time that happened, the dude on his crotch rocket died.

I witnessed an accident yesterday evening when some dumbass in the center lane decided he wanted to turn into the Longhorne. You guessed it, turned right in front of a car that was rightfully in the turn lane.

:doh:

Might have to debate you on that one. The only way a person could have already been in the right lane at that time means that they traveled through the light in a designated turn only lane. Just because everyone does it doesn't mean they with rightfully in the lane.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Might have to debate you on that one. The only way a person could have already been in the right lane at that time means that they traveled through the light in a designated turn only lane. Just because everyone does it doesn't mean they with rightfully in the lane.

I should have added that the car behind the turning car had to stop as well as the car in the right lane when they saw what the ding ding was doing. Unfortunately, the car in the turning lane didn't see what was going on until he was hit on his rear quarter panel.

glhs837

Power with Control

I'm not an advocate of pushing anyone off the deep end, it doesn't work in swiming and it works no better when used figuratively.
But I also agree with Christy, "top getting the vapors over your kid having to deal with ####ty drivers"
It's something they have to learn to deal with, in a safe manner, not in the azzhole manner as advocated by some.

As "aggressive" as some think I might drive, I acuired the skill to monitor the traffic around me , a full 360, and to anticipate what some yahoo in the forward 180 might do.
That skill has kept me from being T-boned by a vehicle that I somehow knew would run the red light, as well as avoiding the sudden lane changer or braking.

Bernie, that was what I was talking about, not your post. I exposed my kids to all these environments also, with decreasing levels of involvement as their skills increased.

black dog

Free America
No, but are you the twit that forgets to move when the light turns because you are trying to make yourself look better - trust me, you'll need a hell of a lot more time than a red light for that.

No. Me primp up in the rear view. :lmao: I have a Frank and beans, are you coming out of the closet ?

Blister

The first, last, and only thing you need to teach your kid about tailgaters is to ignore them. If you speed up, they will too, if you slow down, they will follow closer, if you "brake check" them, they will get more aggressive.

DEEKAYPEE8569

The first, last, and only thing you need to teach your kid about tailgaters is to ignore them. If you speed up, they will too, if you slow down, they will follow closer, if you "brake check" them, they will get more aggressive.

'.....I reach into the glove compartment; flip a switch; slam on the brakes and cash a check.' - "R. Biggins" - "Wings"
This post made me think of that. :shrug:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

A good time to wash your windshield is when you have a tailgater. They usually back right off.