To the Wonderful SUV Driver

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Pretty easy to check with Google Maps. The photo resolution is good enough to see.

Assuming that the original post was talking about Spring Ridge school, which as far as I know is the only major school along 235 where the road is not divided and passing is even possible, it is a solid double yellow line immediately in front of the school, but changes to a passing-northbound just north of the school.
https://goo.gl/maps/L1iBP

But St Michael's School is also a possibility, at the extreme southern end of 235; in that case there is a PASSING ZONE DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF THE SCHOOL. This completely invalidates migtig's assertion that it's illegal, because the state's own roadway signage allows it.

This Google Street View image shows a school zone with a passing road marking in the same image.
https://goo.gl/maps/iCWF1
Thanks. I didn't spend a lot of time down there, probably why I don't remember seeing it.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Hodr:

Please educate yourself before coming on here and making stupid comments on a subject where , apparently, you're ignorant. The courts have ruled on speed cameras and red light cameras and ruled that they are legal. I don't like them but I know what the law is, in reference to them.

In regards to several others who have made the statement about police officers needing to personally witness misdemeanor violations in order to issue a citation or make an arrest, they are correct. That is the law. Ask any police officer. Try to get your legal education from someplace other than Judge Judy or watching Law and Order!

So if someone back into someone else's car and leaves the scene, (hot & run misdemeanor), and people witness it and call the cops, the cop can't find the person and write them a ticket or arrest them because the cop didn't witness the hit and run?

bilbur

So if someone back into someone else's car and leaves the scene, (hot & run misdemeanor), and people witness it and call the cops, the cop can't find the person and write them a ticket or arrest them because the cop didn't witness the hit and run?

I, actually, always thought that an arrest can be made or a citation can be issued by a private citizen if they sign a complaint and show up to court. A citizens arrest, I will look up what the stipulations are.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I, actually, always thought that an arrest can be made or a citation can be issued by a private citizen if they sign a complaint and show up to court. A citizens arrest, I will look up what the stipulations are.

I don't know about the citizens arrest aspect but I am aware of situations where a citizen witnesses a traffic violation calls and reports it. COP investigates, finds, and cites the offender. Then the case would have to go to court and the judge would have to decide based on the credibility of the citizen witness who reported the traffic violation. The witness would have to testify in court and be cross examined by the defendant or the defendant's lawyer.

bilbur

Here are the stipulations.
"Maryland’s Court of Appeals has found that at common law private citizens and peace officers have the right to make arrests of those suspected of committing a crime. In Maryland in order to have the authority to make a citizen’s arrest, a public citizen must meet some qualifications: 1) a felony (such as murder in the first degree or theft of at least $1,000) was committed in their presence; 2) the public citizen has reasonable grounds to believe the detained person committed a felony; or 3) the person committed a misdemeanor (such as trespass, or thefts under $1,000) which amounts to a breach of the peace in the presence or sight of the arresting citizen. - See more at: https://extension.umd.edu/learn/can-i-make-citizen%E2%80%99s-arrest#sthash.XRQTk6nS.dpuf"

It also says that private citizens should never detain a suspect and cops should be the only ones to take the suspect into custody since they have a qualified immunity that protects them from liability.

Freefaller

Correct!

Beta

Smile!
Pretty easy to check with Google Maps. The photo resolution is good enough to see.

Assuming that the original post was talking about Spring Ridge school, which as far as I know is the only major school along 235 where the road is not divided and passing is even possible, it is a solid double yellow line immediately in front of the school, but changes to a passing-northbound just north of the school.
https://goo.gl/maps/L1iBP

But St Michael's School is also a possibility, at the extreme southern end of 235; in that case there is a PASSING ZONE DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF THE SCHOOL. This completely invalidates migtig's assertion that it's illegal, because the state's own roadway signage allows it.

This Google Street View image shows a school zone with a passing road marking in the same image.
https://goo.gl/maps/iCWF1
You do realize that migtig's "assertion" is that passing during the school zone is illegal, right? Everyone else indicated that it's based on the lines on the road. So the assertion isn't any less valid based on your amazingly difficult and fully in depth research, since you're basing it off of what other people said. :rolleyes:

However, someone pulled up the law book and indicated it's not in there. Maybe different states have different laws and migtig was thinking of another state, or maybe it was just an attempt at using common sense. If you're supposed to drive carefully and slowly, why would you be passing people even if it's legal? It's a short distance and children can be present. Not a smart move, regardless of whether or not it's legal.

Before calling everyone idiots, when did you have your speedometer calibrated last?

2. There is a law on the books (believe it or not) according to a truck driver friend, that if a vehicle is obstructing traffic, you may pass, even on a double yellow line.

3. Karma's a Beotch!

A. You forgot a #1.
2. Maybe if the vehicle is OBSTRUCTING traffic, but just because they're essentially following the speed limit doesn't allow for passing on a double yellow line. Obstructing, as in driving 10+ mph below the speed limit (and even then, I think it's a ticketable offense for the drive, but doesn't mean you can pass), or perhaps if the vehicle is BROKEN DOWN and you have no choice but to pass over the double yellow. Try learning how to understand the laws and the verbiage behind them before blindly applying them.
D. Yeah, sounds like it already got your noodle.

:dance:

Kinnakeet

CALL the police and they might come to said area and obseve for a couple days,I did this 2 times where I live because the tractor trailers full of trash were traveling 70 mph in a 40 mph zone,they came and used radar for a couple of days and bingo no more tractor trailers.

Goldenhawk

You do realize that migtig's "assertion" is that passing during the school zone is illegal, right? Everyone else indicated that it's based on the lines on the road. So the assertion isn't any less valid based on your amazingly difficult and fully in depth research, since you're basing it off of what other people said.
Wow, you're good at sarcasm.

How were my comments based on "what other people said"? Migtig directly asserted ("forcefully stated as a fact") that it was illegal to pass in a school zone ("Since you are obviously unaware ... passing in a school zone is prohibited"). Nope; I merely pointed out that since the state's signage permits passing in at least one easily visible case, that assertion is inappropriate. Additionally, as I pointed out earlier, there is nothing in the MD transportation code or driver's manual about passing in a school zone. In case you missed it,
http://forums.somd.com/threads/300839-To-the-Wonderful-SUV-Driver?p=5540080&viewfull=1#post5540080

Mine is purely a factual comment, not a matter of opinion. Drivers are legally allowed to pass in a school zone if the markings and signage on the road permit it.

With that said, my opinion is that migtig is right that it's illegal to pass on a double yellow line, and stupidly illegal to do it at high speed in a school zone. But it benefits us all to understand what the law really says, and not spread misinformation about the law.

H

Hodr

Hodr:

Please educate yourself before coming on here and making stupid comments on a subject where , apparently, you're ignorant. The courts have ruled on speed cameras and red light cameras and ruled that they are legal. I don't like them but I know what the law is, in reference to them.

In regards to several others who have made the statement about police officers needing to personally witness misdemeanor violations in order to issue a citation or make an arrest, they are correct. That is the law. Ask any police officer. Try to get your legal education from someplace other than Judge Judy or watching Law and Order!

Look atme, I can use annoying colors too!

In case you didn't catch it (and clearly you didn't) my first point about the cameras was facetious. I was quite obviously poking fun of the OPs position that an officer must witness an event by taking it to an absurd extreme.

As to my second point, as others have pointed out you are clearly incorrect. I could collaborate this with personal experience. I witnessed a vehicle collision where both parties were incapacitated (one of which was a police officer). When the police arrived on the scene they took my statement and used it to provide a citation to the at-fault driver.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Good question. I've never really paid attention enough to see if all school zones have double solids.

probably not, typically passing zones (dashed yellow lines) are not close to intersections and I would think a school would classify as an intersection in SHAs mind.

Goldenhawk

passing school zone.jpg
probably not, typically passing zones (dashed yellow lines) are not close to intersections and I would think a school would classify as an intersection in SHAs mind.
Real life says otherwise.

Beta

Smile!
Wow, you're good at sarcasm.

How were my comments based on "what other people said"? Migtig directly asserted ("forcefully stated as a fact") that it was illegal to pass in a school zone ("Since you are obviously unaware ... passing in a school zone is prohibited"). Nope; I merely pointed out that since the state's signage permits passing in at least one easily visible case, that assertion is inappropriate. Additionally, as I pointed out earlier, there is nothing in the MD transportation code or driver's manual about passing in a school zone. In case you missed it,
http://forums.somd.com/threads/300839-To-the-Wonderful-SUV-Driver?p=5540080&viewfull=1#post5540080

Mine is purely a factual comment, not a matter of opinion. Drivers are legally allowed to pass in a school zone if the markings and signage on the road permit it.

With that said, my opinion is that migtig is right that it's illegal to pass on a double yellow line, and stupidly illegal to do it at high speed in a school zone. But it benefits us all to understand what the law really says, and not spread misinformation about the law.

You're not understanding what I'm saying. Let me try to spell this out for you.

Let's say, for example, that there's a dotted line for passing in front of your house. If you have a sign down the street from your house that says "This is a No Passing Zone from 7am - 5pm" then even though there's a dotted line, you still wouldn't be legally allowed to pass during the hours listed. Do you agree? It's the same thing as if there's a left turn lane, but a sign says "No left turns from 7am - 5pm." That means there are no left turns during that timeframe, regardless of the left turn lane.

So when migtig asserted that it's illegal to pass in a school zone, the indication is that the school zone sign (which is over the course of certain hours) prohibits passing - NOT the dotted vs. solid lines. Thus, when everyone else said that the school zone itself has no impact on the legality of passing vs. not passing (by saying there's no law banning it in Maryland), your exercise merely established what school zones provide the option to pass. It's a good exercise and it was educational, but it has nothing to do with what mig initially argued. In fact, you pointed to locations where mig would have argued you legally couldn't pass, even though there were dotted lines, because there is an active school zone. Do you understand the subtle difference?

BernieP

Resident PIA
View attachment 108618
Real life says otherwise.

Interesting, well the line is not broken, so it's not an intersection, but they have a right turn lane, and that side of the road can legally pass.
What school is that?

Just looked at another school and it looks like they don't consider the entrance/exit and intersection.
But the median was a double yellow at that school because it's just south of an intersection and the road has a slight curve

Last edited:

terbear1225

You should spread the word; all of those people getting tickets from red light and speeding cameras can safely ignore them. Unless they have deputized the cameras.

Joking aside, witness testimony is allowed and often essential for many criminal complaints, what makes you think driving unsafely is a special case?

You are correct, I should have said that police typically wont give a citation without seeing the violation UNLESS there is evidenceto support the witness as in the case of stoplight cameras or a hit and run where there is corroborating evidence.

Goldenhawk

You are correct, I should have said that police typically wont give a citation without seeing the violation UNLESS there is evidenceto support the witness as in the case of stoplight cameras or a hit and run where there is corroborating evidence.
At a community meeting recently, the officers told us that if we call them with specific evidence (video, photos, and plate/tag number, they will often contact the guilty party and "counsel" them. They may not charge them, but it sure will get them thinking about what they're doing wrong.

Goldenhawk

What school is that?
St Michael's School, just north along 235 of the intersection with 5 in Ridge. If you look further on Google, you'll see that the passing zone extends the entire length of the school entrances/exits. There are no double-solid-yellow markings at all.
https://goo.gl/maps/OUv2k

Just looked at another school and it looks like they don't consider the entrance/exit and intersection.
But the median was a double yellow at that school because it's just south of an intersection and the road has a slight curve
My point exactly. The school zone has no effect on the legality of passing. The only added thing the "School Zone" signs say is "FINES DOUBLED". Fair enough.

Goldenhawk

Let's say, for example, that there's a dotted line for passing in front of your house. If you have a sign down the street from your house that says "This is a No Passing Zone from 7am - 5pm" then even though there's a dotted line, you still wouldn't be legally allowed to pass during the hours listed. Do you agree? It's the same thing as if there's a left turn lane, but a sign says "No left turns from 7am - 5pm." That means there are no left turns during that timeframe, regardless of the left turn lane.

So when migtig asserted that it's illegal to pass in a school zone, the indication is that the school zone sign (which is over the course of certain hours) prohibits passing - NOT the dotted vs. solid lines. Thus, when everyone else said that the school zone itself has no impact on the legality of passing vs. not passing (by saying there's no law banning it in Maryland), your exercise merely established what school zones provide the option to pass. It's a good exercise and it was educational, but it has nothing to do with what mig initially argued. In fact, you pointed to locations where mig would have argued you legally couldn't pass, even though there were dotted lines, because there is an active school zone. Do you understand the subtle difference?
Chill out with the snark, please. I'm happy to have a polite discussion, even if we disagree.

I believe I do understand, yes. If such signs existed, you would have a point. But you're not correct, because such signs do NOT exist at the locations in question. Furthermore, you're incorrect that I "pointed to locations where mig would have argued you legally couldn't pass". In fact, I pointed out the opposite - a location where you legally CAN pass.

If you take five minutes to look on Google Maps at the only two schools in question that meet migtig's criteria (on 235 where the road is not divided, e.g. Spring Ridge and St Michaels), or you drive down there and actually look, you'll find that there are no signs at either school that prohibit passing, or change the rules at certain times of day. The only signage says "SCHOOL" and "FINES DOUBLED".

Of those two schools, Spring Ridge has double yellow lines. Obviously that's the specific location in question for the original complaint. I agree, passing there is illegal, but only because of the double yellow line. But the traffic control signals around St Michaels clearly permit passing without time-of-day restriction. So my ENTIRE POINT is that migtig is wrong in asserting it's illegal to pass in a school zone, as the photographic evidence clearly shows.

Beta

Smile!
Chill out with the snark, please. I'm happy to have a polite discussion, even if we disagree.

I believe I do understand, yes. If such signs existed, you would have a point. But you're not correct, because such signs do NOT exist at the locations in question. Furthermore, you're incorrect that I "pointed to locations where mig would have argued you legally couldn't pass". In fact, I pointed out the opposite - a location where you legally CAN pass.

If you take five minutes to look on Google Maps at the only two schools in question that meet migtig's criteria (on 235 where the road is not divided, e.g. Spring Ridge and St Michaels), or you drive down there and actually look, you'll find that there are no signs at either school that prohibit passing, or change the rules at certain times of day. The only signage says "SCHOOL" and "FINES DOUBLED".

Of those two schools, Spring Ridge has double yellow lines. Obviously that's the specific location in question for the original complaint. I agree, passing there is illegal, but only because of the double yellow line. But the traffic control signals around St Michaels clearly permit passing without time-of-day restriction. So my ENTIRE POINT is that migtig is wrong in asserting it's illegal to pass in a school zone, as the photographic evidence clearly shows.

Oh my goodness. You're not understanding. I get what you're saying, but your entire premise is based on the fact that there would be markings that indicate it's illegal, whether there are solid lines or signs that say "no passing". That's not what mig was saying at all.

You know how some laws aren't specified by signs, like how some states used to have "no right turn on red" or you can't drink and drive or even though there's no sign at every intersection, you should know that you can't drive the wrong way on a road, etc. The point was to suggest that the school zone "implies" that you can't pass based on a law. Not that there are always lines or signs in a school zone prohibit passing. You're going based on seeing the lines and signs and saying "well, there aren't any signs and since there are dotted lines, obviously you can pass!" That's a true statement, but it wasn't the point being discussed. As it was pointed out to mig, there isn't a law (in Maryland, anyway) that prohibits passing in a school zone. We're talking about laws, not road signs.