Tom Clancy's Estate For Sale

officeguy

I have a rich relative who made his fortune doing real estate renovations. He has told us that people who buy multi-million-dollar estates rarely leave them as-is, no matter how nice a condition they are in when purchased. If you have $6M to buy a property, you're going to sink another million into making it exactly what you want anyway. Who cares if the kitchen was just renovated last year - that granite and tile are the wrong shade, so rip it out and start over. Don't like those arches on the cabinets; get new ones. That room should be an office, not a bedroom; gut it and start over. That brand new carpet is not plush enough. Etc....

Correct. Still, I bet after 5 years of disuse, the inside of the pace is pretty rough. There is a reason they are not showing it and emphasize that the property is sold 'as is'.

In rich people areas like the Hamptons, this dated house would be razed as fast as the new owner can get the teardown permit just to be replaced with something twice the square footage and 3 times the garishness. Nothing like a dick measuring contest among NYC bankers...

Goldenhawk

In rich people areas like the Hamptons, this dated house would be razed as fast as the new owner can get the teardown permit just to be replaced with something twice the square footage and 3 times the garishness.
Yeah.

My grandparents used to own an 800 sq ft riverfront cottage (outlined in red) on a 40-ft-wide property in Jersey for decades. By the time they sold it, EVERY other cottage in the neighborhood had been bought, demolished, and replaced by 3000+ sq ft McMansions. The new house next door to their former property is almost as large than their entire LOT (in yellow). Since that pic was taken, the cottage was demolished. I think one of the neighbors bought it for a parking lot...

cottage.jpg

black dog

Free America
Correct. Still, I bet after 5 years of disuse, the inside of the pace is pretty rough. There is a reason they are not showing it and emphasize that the property is sold 'as is'.

In rich people areas like the Hamptons, this dated house would be razed as fast as the new owner can get the teardown permit just to be replaced with something twice the square footage and 3 times the garishness. Nothing like a dick measuring contest among NYC bankers...

In most cases yes,. My mother and step father sold their main home a few years ago in Ulmstead Estates in Arnold. It was on the water in the middle of the cove just east of Ulmstead Point, a beautiful 5,000 sq ft contemporary and an awesome sandy beach.
The older retired couple that bought it never went into the house to see it, my mother who sold real estate for 30+ years was like Whatever. The couple never moved it to the house, got permits and bulldozed it. Everything including new appliances went into dumpsters, they built a 10,000 sq ft colonial on that lot they paid 2 million for..
The couple wanted to have a sandy beach and look at something like Gibson Island.

black dog

Free America
Stuffed ham doesnt spontaneously insert itself in conversations.

It does in certain circles, overheard many times at Three Mules, HAY,,, when is your mom and miss monkey gonna stuff some hams for the pack & stuff buffett carry-out this year?????

NextJen

Raisin cane
The listing shows 537 acres but tax records show the property at 80.1 acres (and assessed at 3.4M in case you were wondering).

I wonder why they are vastly different as far as land area?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
The listing shows 537 acres but tax records show the property at 80.1 acres (and assessed at 3.4M in case you were wondering).

I wonder why they are vastly different as far as land area?

From the BayNet story:

“It’s spectacular,” said Stevens, who told TheBayNet.com that Clancy’s estate is not the priciest she’s ever sold or tried to sell. “But it’s right up there,” she added. Stevens said the entire tract is comprised of 11 properties ranging in size from 1 to 200 acres. The property is called Peregrine Cliff.