Attachments

• clematis.JPG
    clematis.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 84
W

Wenchy

My two look the same way. :lol:

How are those stargazers coming along?

These forums are great for planting advice and laughs.

I have an herb garden going...babies at this point, but looking good.

Everything is going in pots.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
How are those stargazers coming along?
They're about 2 feet tall already and looking great. :yay:

I have an herb garden going...babies at this point, but looking good.

Everything is going in pots.
I need to tame the jungle that is my herb garden and will probably redo the whole thing in the fall. Good on you for starting one. Nothing like going out and snipping fresh herbs for cooking. :dye:

T

toppick08

They're about 2 feet tall already and looking great. :yay:

I need to tame the jungle that is my herb garden and will probably redo the whole thing in the fall. Good on you for starting one. Nothing like going out and snipping fresh herbs for cooking. :dye:

If you need some fresh rosemary,..let me know.......got tons...:buddies:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
[/B]

If you need some fresh rosemary,..let me know.......got tons...:buddies:

Thanks but I have 4 different varieties and they're part of the jungle that needs to be tamed. Along with the sage and oregano plants. Time to snip and break out the dehydrator. :lol:

Cowgirl

Vrai, how'd your garlic end up doing?

I just planted a 10 or 12' row last night. I wanted to plant a few weeks ago, but got busy and forgot. And I planted the grocery store garlic too, but then someone pointed out the article I read on how to grow garlic said not to use grocery store garlic because it's sometimes treated so it won't sprout. :ohwell:

I just planted a 10 or 12' row last night. I wanted to plant a few weeks ago, but got busy and forgot. And I planted the grocery store garlic too, but then someone pointed out the article I read on how to grow garlic said not to use grocery store garlic because it's sometimes treated so it won't sprout. :ohwell:

Mine is sprouting in my fridge right now. LOL

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Unimpressive. The bulbs ended up really small, plus I planted them in the spring (I think you're supposed to do it in the fall).

BUT! I happen to have garlic bulbs on hand now, so maybe I'll plant them and see if I can't do better. Thanks for reminding me!

Cowgirl

Unimpressive. The bulbs ended up really small, plus I planted them in the spring (I think you're supposed to do it in the fall).

BUT! I happen to have garlic bulbs on hand now, so maybe I'll plant them and see if I can't do better. Thanks for reminding me!

Yeah, I read that spring planted garlic would result in smaller bulbs. Go plant some!

Pushrod

Patriot
I have a question. I still have bunches of hot peppers on my plants, but they don't seem to be ripening, I guess because they are not getting the sun they get in the summer. Can I pick them and set them inside the house to ripen, or will they just rot before they ripen?

rickl5296

I have a question. I still have bunches of hot peppers on my plants, but they don't seem to be ripening, I guess because they are not getting the sun they get in the summer. Can I pick them and set them inside the house to ripen, or will they just rot before they ripen?

I love the internet :dude: You can find the answer to anything! Just google it and it is there:

HOW TO RIPEN FRUIT

Some fruits do not ripen further once harvested and are ready to eat when you buy them (see *). Other fruits will continue to ripen after being harvested (see ***). Ethylene is a gas that is naturally produced by some fruit, e.g. apple. tomatoes, ripe banana. Ethylene triggers the ripening process, which in turn produces more ethylene, which further accelerates the ripening. Ethylene causes vegetable deterioration, so store fruits and vegetables separately in the refrigerator.

It's easy to ripen fruit, just follow these simple steps:

•Place fruit in paper bag. Loosely close the bag.
•Leave at room temperature but away from direct sunlight.
•Fruits ripen at different rates depending on the type of fruit and the temperature of the room. Check on the fruit every day to ensure the best possible ripeness.
•To check ripeness, place fruit in the palm of your hand and gently squeeze. If the fruit gives to light pressure and smells slightly sweet, it's ready to eat! If it's not ready, leave it in the bag and check it the next day. You can hasten the ripening by adding a ripe banana or an apple to the bag.
•Once the fruit is ripe, eat it right away for maximum flavour, aroma and texture or store it in the refrigerator for a short time.
It's important to use only paper bags since plastic bags and containers trap moisture and air and will lead to spoilage.

This says fruits but it's the same for vegetables. I got this here: Canadian Produce Marketing Association - Home Storage Guide for Fresh Fruits & Vegetables

Cowgirl

The snow finally melted off the garden! I can see sprouts where I planted the garlic! :yahoo: They're probably 3-4" tall and looked a little ragged from the cold. I hope they pull through!