Total Knee Replacement

Tech

How long did it take you to fully recover? The doctor hasn't told me much - but I've read crutches, walker, six months recovery if not longer, all kinds of stuff, I wish I hadn't read. I got injections six weeks ago and if knee surgery hurts as bad as that did, I think I'd rather die than get it done.
Wife got one a couple of years ago. Home same day, in PT next day with no brace.

NOTSMC

Wow. I haven't had the surgery yet, but boy I've seen some people in physical therapy after the surgery and they were in pain. Kudos to your wife! I did physical therapy for six weeks and have not had the surgery yet. Even that was painful.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Had one knee replaced first week of April of 2019, Emmanuel Atimo in Leonardtown, evèrything done at St Mary's.

Was an injury, not degenerated.

I can't express how pleased I am. Was up and walking with a walker day after. Then they taught me the best way to go up and down stairs, and sent me home.

Spent a week or so down time, but that was mostly from the anesthesia, up and walking every day. PT a couple times a week, followed their exercises every day. Cruising around the kitchen making dinner after a couple weeks. Hubby made me a contraption to get up and down around the flowerbeds, a month after surgery. Probably transitioned to a cane about that time.

Kept a pair of crutches upstairs (bedroom) just so I didn't have to drag that walker up there. Quickly learned to use the rail to go up and down.

I think no driving about 6 weeks, went back to work part time soon after that. On my feet there 99% of the time, took 2 months to work my way back up to 40 hr week.

Exercising in the pool was the ticket, if you possibly can, DO THAT.

I've not been very good about continuing the exercises, but I can see that being really helpful. If it does get stiff, a couple weeks of exercising, particularly bicycling, does the trick. I used Personalized Therapy, they were wonderful.

Again, don't wait. They have knee replacements down pat, if you are otherwise healthy, it'll be no problem.

my-thyme

Patron
Wow. I haven't had the surgery yet, but boy I've seen some people in physical therapy after the surgery and they were in pain. Kudos to your wife! I did physical therapy for six weeks and have not had the surgery yet. Even that was painful.
PT before surgery is crazy painful. Why insurance comp require that is beyond me.

Tech

I think it was so painful that the pain from surgery was a relief.

my-thyme

Patron
Ok, I still wish I had not watched the replacement. Yuck.

But, these guys bring up some very good points. Pain meds, sssooooo important. If you take no more than prescribed you will be safe from addiction. But take them as prescribed, every so many hrs no matter how you feel. I would write down everything I took, and used my phone timer to remind me to take the next dose. Pain can sneak up quick, and pushing it back down will just cause agitation. After a week or so start cutting them back. After a few weeks I was taking them just before going to PT (those people are masochists.)

Yes, yes, yes, I would do it again, in a heartbeat.

my-thyme

Patron
And whatever you do, don't let that leg dangle. If your foot doesn't reach the ground, get a stool to support it.

I'm short, and when they set me in that chair at the hospital, and left me with my foot 6" off the floor, I started hitting that nurse call button. When she finally got in there, I was a hot, crying mess. And I couldn't articulate what was wrong, because I didn't even know what was wrong.

Once I got home, and sat with the foot not supported, the light dawned. Got a foot stool real quick.

glhs837

Power with Control
Oh crap, now I feel obligated.
No, please don't. Unless you've down that before and been okay. I know folks who were ready to go until they watched. I don't even want to describe why. I'm fine. It's just mechanics to me, but a lot of folks don't like to see this sort of thing.

NOTSMC

No, please don't. Unless you've down that before and been okay. I know folks who were ready to go until they watched. I don't even want to describe why. I'm fine. It's just mechanics to me, but a lot of folks don't like to see this sort of thing.
Just got done watching. I had no idea it involved that much; I wonder if I can just get by with injections instead.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Just got done watching. I had no idea it involved that much; I wonder if I can just get by with injections instead.
I found a lot of relief from prescription anti-inflammatory meds. However, you can't stay on them forever, can cause liver and kidney damage. If I back off the meds, the pain comes back.

I've had cortisone and gel injections, and a bi-lateral arthroscopy. 'Normal' activities are a thing of the past. I have some other issues to work out, but once they are done, I have to get my knees repaired.

PeoplesElbow

I have not, but have a friend that did, both actually. She was a rather large girl, hairdresser, she lost 50 lbs before the Dr would do it. She loved working but was on her feet a lot. She recovered even faster than the Dr told her was possible, she was chomping at the bit to get back to work and now is a new woman. She is so happy she had it done.

Also had a friend here that had it done by the VA, he took a lot longer to recover. Now he is my friend, but I'm pretty sure he used it as an excuse to be lazy at work because he did tend to milk things to get out of doing work.

Grumpy

FIL had it done after dealing with injections for a few years, after getting his new knee, a week later he was saying he wished he had it done 10 years ago. He didn't hesitate when he had to get the other knee done a few years later.

glhs837

Power with Control

Only for so long. The thing is while it looks like butchery, its really much simpler than say my spinal fusion. Split, cut, replace, close. Hell, my sleep apnea implant was a more complex surgery.

Of course, take injections and therapy as far as you can, surgery is always the last option. I ran alternates to fusion for maybe 8 years before it became necessary. That was when I fell down in agony and literally couldn't walk. But at some point its use aids or get cut.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
That was when I fell down in agony and literally couldn't walk. But at some point its use aids or get cut.
I did the same. In agony on my hands and knees. And the Oreos are on the top cabinet shelf. That's when you know it's time for the knife.