Um,...did we just elect a Republican Governor??

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
See, some of you all think that if Hogan does the slightest little liberal thing, that means he's a RINO and will be snubbed come re-election time. That's why Republicans can take over the House, Senate, and governorships, and fizzle in the next election. You all did this with Ehrlich and see where it got us?

At some point Hogan HAS to cooperate with the majority Democrat legislature. He just has to. OweMalley didn't have that problem because they were all on the same page, give or take a district. He said "Jump" and they all said, "First let me lick your butt hole." Hogan is not going to have that luxury and on some level will have to appease them. That doesn't make him a bad Republican, it's just the way it is.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
See, some of you all think that if Hogan does the slightest little liberal thing, that means he's a RINO and will be snubbed come re-election time. That's why Republicans can take over the House, Senate, and governorships, and fizzle in the next election. You all did this with Ehrlich and see where it got us?

At some point Hogan HAS to cooperate with the majority Democrat legislature. He just has to. OweMalley didn't have that problem because they were all on the same page, give or take a district. He said "Jump" and they all said, "First let me lick your butt hole." Hogan is not going to have that luxury and on some level will have to appease them. That doesn't make him a bad Republican, it's just the way it is.

Yawp.

PsyOps

Pixelated

What would you expect him to cooperate with democrats on?

Hijinx

I believe Hogans greatest problem is that to make his campaign promises, he will have to do some cutting.
Those cuts are going to hurt.
A lot of people are going to object to them, but we cannot go on just passing out money and taxing the people who work.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I believe Hogans greatest problem is that to make his campaign promises, he will have to do some cutting.
A lot of people are going to object to them, but we cannot go on just passing out money and taxing the people who work.

Not how it works. There won't be much in the way of spending cuts. There will be some in terms of tax cuts and incentives to get business to come here, to expand, to exploit opportunities.

Best time to start adjusting expectations is right now. This isn't going to be some giant slash spending exercise.

Well in my opinion the first round of budget cuts should be for money spent on non-citizens.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Not how it works. There won't be much in the way of spending cuts. There will be some in terms of tax cuts and incentives to get business to come here, to expand, to exploit opportunities.

Best time to start adjusting expectations is right now. This isn't going to be some giant slash spending exercise.

He ran on claiming he knew of about $2 billion in spending cuts he could make. You don't think we should expect him to at least push for it, and push hard - even if he won't get it from a dem legislature?

Sorry, but if he says he's going to do something, I expect him to do it. I think that's how it SHOULD work.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Well in my opinion the first round of budget cuts should be for money spent on non-citizens.

^^this^^

We do not need illegals in our workplaces. Make those receiving benefits from the state pick up the slack.

Yeah, I've always been a dreamer...

Midnightrider

What would you expect him to cooperate with democrats on?

some obvious ones would be mary jane, expanded gambling and preschool. Those are things the dems want that wouldn't be a big deal if He could get something in return, like actual tax cuts. Then there are the cuts themselves. those are something that can be negotiated.

He certainly isnt going to get anywhere trying to rule with an iron fist.

PsyOps

Pixelated
some obvious ones would be mary jane, expanded gambling and preschool. Those are things the dems want that wouldn't be a big deal if He could get something in return, like actual tax cuts. Then there are the cuts themselves. those are something that can be negotiated.

He certainly isnt going to get anywhere trying to rule with an iron fist.

Hogan is against pot legalization. I suppose this could be a bargaining tool. I suppose to depends on how adamant he is against it. He sounds pretty firm on it here.

Gambling is a revenue-building thing. I can see Hogan going along with that anyway.

Hogan is on record for being for preschool, as well as keeping the approx $500 million in education spending. And this is where I have a problem with him… He was asked how he intends to cut $2 billion in spending when $500 million of it is education-related. He simply said he does not intend to touch that money but still claimed he could cut $2 billion; yet would even expand spending with preschool. Basically a non-answer.

So, with the exception of pot, I get the impression he is already for those things and wouldn’t need to exchange them for anything.

Last edited:

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
Fox5DC isn’t too happy about the Hogan win. Last night they kept saying Oh PG, Baltimore City and MoCo are not done reporting then show Brown’s whole concession speech and cut off Hogan’s speech to end the news cast. This morning they show a part of Hogan’s press conference and then actually said- “Ok, we’re going to cut away as I’m sure people want to watch Wendy Williams”

Suck it up butta cup, change is a happening.

mamatutu

mama to two
Hogan still has to work with those dicks in the Maryland Legislature.

My big thrill is that Harry Reid will no longer be Senate majority leader. I loathe him.

Bob Beckel made a comment last night that the Maryland Legislature was a cesspool. That surprised me. As far as Reid, I don't like that he won't make eye contact when speaking. It makes him look really shady.

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
Hmmm...maybe I will think about moving back to MD now.

SC is a total republican state and we don't have AR's and AK-47's laying in the street. Maybe in 'da hood.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
We're not talking nationally where it could go either way. We're talking Maryland, one of the bluest of blue has a right leaning, business man governor.

Lets see about bringing some industries back to MD.. Beretta is probably gone for good but now we can actively recruit NEW and growing businesses and manufacturers.. Whatever it takes, lets get the jobs back!!

Midnightrider

Hogan is against pot legalization. I suppose this could be a bargaining tool. I suppose to depends on how adamant he is against it. He sounds pretty firm on it here.

Gambling is a revenue-building thing. I can see Hogan going along with that anyway.

Hogan is on record for being for preschool, as well as keeping the approx $500 million in education spending. And this is where I have a problem with him… He was asked how he intends to cut $2 billion in spending when $500 million of it is education-related. He simply said he does not intend to touch that money but still claimed he could cut $2 billion; yet would even expand spending with preschool. Basically a non-answer.

So, with the exception of pot, I get the impression he is already for those things and wouldn’t need to exchange them for anything.

those are just examples of things his opponents are have an interest in. If he already backs the position it is no skin off his nose to give it up in a negotiation. As for pot, him being against it is kind of the point. He would be giving something he doesn want to in exchange for something he wants but they dont. Its compromise. I think he could do it, will he is a different question.

Yeah, when i heard Hogan talk numbers he always seemed extra politiciany, he tells you what you want to hear but when pressed cant always back it. I hope he turns out to be the fiscal conservative he claims and that he makes a difference (but thats just hope).