Unemployment question

Redwing91

I was laid off at the end of Sept. and have been getting unemployment ever since. I have had state and federal taxes taken out of my unemployment checks. If I get a tax refund for the months that I worked, will the government take the refund money because I got unemployment benefits? I checked the MD unemployment website and handbook, and they are not clear about this.

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
Redwing91 said:
I was laid off at the end of Sept. and have been getting unemployment ever since. I have had state and federal taxes taken out of my unemployment checks. If I get a tax refund for the months that I worked, will the government take the refund money because I got unemployment benefits? I checked the MD unemployment website and handbook, and they are not clear about this.

No, but you will have to report unemployment benefits on your tax return and it will be calculated as part of your income.

Redwing91

BTW, the red/green karma thing is really lame. I've only posted here a few times. I don't know what I said that could have pissed anyone off.

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
Redwing91 said:
Thanks Texas! You have set my mind at ease.

You will get (if you haven't already) a form 1099-G. That is the form sent for state refunds and entitlement based payments through the state. It will be like your W-2 for reporting your income.

Redwing91 said:
BTW, the red/green karma thing is really lame. I've only posted here a few times. I don't know what I said that could have pissed anyone off.
It probably came from CMC... she works for the IRS.