Unemployment

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If you lost your job tomorrow, could you find another one within a reasonable time frame?

Partly because of my change agreeable mindset, mostly because of my lifestyle, I am CONSTANTLY finding job opportunities that sound like a lot of fun and I could make a living doing. If Somd.com failed tomorrow, I'd have another job within the week, and it's not like I'm all educated and have myriad skills.

Coming back from Cheyenne, we passed through Sidney, NE where Cabela's is (was?) headquartered. Sidney is a wide spot in the road, and Cabela's is their largest employer. We stopped into a diner for lunch and got to talking to the waitress, who spoke at length about Bass Pro Shops buying Cabela's and possibly pulling out of Sidney, which would decimate the town's employment, and she just didn't know what folks were going to do.

I'll tell you what I would do, and that would be get the hell out of Sidney and move to where the jobs are.

I mean, yeah, if you want to keep your home and your town and your present way of life, you're going to have a tough time. But MAN! There is so much opportunity out there, and it's amazing how few people take advantage of it. All those ####bags laying in ghetto gutters and hanging out on the corner could easily find employment and opportunity if they wanted it. Of course, they have to leave their ghetto gutter to do it.

Anyway, that's what I'm thinking about today: how much opportunity there is in this country, and how few people take advantage of it.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
If you lost your job tomorrow, could you find another one within a reasonable time frame?

Definitely. However, I'm not sure how well I would adapt to being an employee instead of boss/owner...that would be tough. You'd be facing the same thing, I'd guess.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I've never had a problem finding a job, and I don't suspect I'd have any trouble if I had to start looking for one today. I'm not stuck on what I currently do, even though I've been doing it for quite a while. I've had a lot of different jobs in my lifetime, and most of them were for nothing more than "I gotta' pay the bills". I've worked a lot in the hospitality industry, waitress, hostess, bartender, dishwasher. I've worked in a slaughter house, and I've detailed cars. I've worked retail, and I've served my country. I've worked in country stores and video stores. I've had yard sales to make money, taken care of other people's children, sold Avon.

Nope. There is no reason to believe that I could not find a job in short order.

Chris0nllyn

I'd be half tempted to use my life savings and buy up a good chunk of land, manage it, build impoundments and other waterfowl habitats and be a waterfowl hunting guide.

Or move to Costa Rica and live like a king.

General Lee

Finding a job quickly is one thing.... But what about finding one that pays what or similar to what you currently make? So you can still pay the bills you're responsible for.

luvmygdaughters

I've never had trouble finding a job, (knock on wood). Like Malice, I've worked in several vocations and acquired a varied amount of experience. Most of this had to do with accounting. The current job I have, I hope to be retiring from this year or next. The company was just bought out by a corporation in Australia, not supposed to be any immediate changes until the middle of the year, but we'll see.

lovinmaryland

Partly because of my change agreeable mindset, mostly because of my lifestyle, I am CONSTANTLY finding job opportunities that sound like a lot of fun and I could make a living doing. If Somd.com failed tomorrow, I'd have another job within the week, and it's not like I'm all educated and have myriad skills.

Coming back from Cheyenne, we passed through Sidney, NE where Cabela's is (was?) headquartered. Sidney is a wide spot in the road, and Cabela's is their largest employer. We stopped into a diner for lunch and got to talking to the waitress, who spoke at length about Bass Pro Shops buying Cabela's and possibly pulling out of Sidney, which would decimate the town's employment, and she just didn't know what folks were going to do.

I'll tell you what I would do, and that would be get the hell out of Sidney and move to where the jobs are.

I mean, yeah, if you want to keep your home and your town and your present way of life, you're going to have a tough time. But MAN! There is so much opportunity out there, and it's amazing how few people take advantage of it. All those ####bags laying in ghetto gutters and hanging out on the corner could easily find employment and opportunity if they wanted it. Of course, they have to leave their ghetto gutter to do it.

Anyway, that's what I'm thinking about today: how much opportunity there is in this country, and how few people take advantage of it.
In that scenario, yes I'd consider moving to where the jobs are...however most times people are let go w/ little to no notice. As was in my case. I started looking immediately for work but couldn't find anything. It took about 1 1/2 years before I was able to get a job.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Definitely. However, I'm not sure how well I would adapt to being an employee instead of boss/owner...that would be tough. You'd be facing the same thing, I'd guess.

There's a big attraction for me to working for someone else. You work, you come home. You go on vacation. Simple.

If my boss were really great, I could do it easy. Even if my boss were a #### head, I've developed skills to deal with that sort of thing that I didn't have last time I had a #### head boss.

All I've ever worked were IT jobs and IT jobs tend to be very specialized in what they are looking for in a candidate. You can be great at what you do but its been my observation that it doesn't get you the job if you don't have the required level of experience already in the bag for the specific skill sets.

I also have several adult friends that couldn't get their foot in the door attempting to break into another line of work because they were deemed overqualified because they were considered high risk of just taking on that job as a temporary hold-over until a job in their field opened up. Seriously.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
There's a big attraction for me to working for someone else. You work, you come home. You go on vacation. Simple.

If my boss were really great, I could do it easy. Even if my boss were a #### head, I've developed skills to deal with that sort of thing that I didn't have last time I had a #### head boss.

Good points. My boss has always been a major asterisk head.

Misfit

Lawful neutral
I’ve lost my job before, well…I didn’t lose it I just wasn’t allowed to go there anymore. It was hard finding another one that paid me what I was making before and I had to take a pay cut.

:ohwell:

If I lost this one, I’d use my small monthly VA disability check and finance a thu-hike on the Appalachian Trail.

Last edited:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Finding a job quickly is one thing.... But what about finding one that pays what or similar to what you currently make? So you can still pay the bills you're responsible for.

One does what one has to do. You can sit on your butt and do nothing until that perfect job comes along, or you'll take what you can get to keep food on your table until the perfect job comes along. And, there's always a chance that perfect job will never come along.
There are many reasons why one might not get hired. Your qualifications are outdated, the job you did is taking a drastic turn in technology, or being replaced altogether by another technology. Maybe management might be intimidated by your qualifications, and fear you'll replace them at some point. I would never assume that just because I'm doing what I'm doing today, that I'll be doing it tomorrow. Nothing in life is that certain.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

when I departed my last JOB ... I had an offer the next day, after 2 Phone interviews ... had to wait 2 weeks for HR to write the PO

but in the early 2000's I did a lot of Contract IT work, it was not uncommon to go 3-6 months between contracts but after a yr of that I got a contract that turned into a 2.5 yr JOB

tommyjo

How can a right wing freak like yourself think there is opportunity in this country? You spent the last 24 months b!tching about how everything (PARTICULARLY opportunity) sucks in this country.

Yes, there is opportunity...but your commentary is, as usual, incredibly naïve.

Most people just can't get up and move to where the work is (the work, BTW, is in many states you hate.) In case you aren't aware...it takes money to move. It takes skills to get a decent job. "Ghetto gutter" dwellers don't have either.

luvmygdaughters

How can a right wing freak like yourself think there is opportunity in this country? You spent the last 24 months b!tching about how everything (PARTICULARLY opportunity) sucks in this country.

Most people just can't get up and move to where the work is (the work, BTW, is in many states you hate.) In case you aren't aware...it takes money to move. It takes skills to get a decent job. "Ghetto gutter" dwellers don't have either.

Awwww...is somebody bored???? Really young lady!! Is this anyway to start a brand new year????:nono:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Did that angry nonsensical outburst keep you from beating your children and kicking your dog? I hope somebody gets some benefit out of your retarded behavior.