Uniden Bearcat BCD396XT

retiredmarine

Looking at this one to buy... few questions/opinions

1. 495.00 - good price?
2. scannermaster.com - ever hear of them?
3. should I have them program it?
4. accessories? cables?
5. What about software?

thanks!

1. 495.00 - good price?
4. accessories? cables?
5. What about software?

thanks!

I have the Bearcar BCD396T - GREAT scanner, have not been happier.

1 - $495 is a good price. You may want to try Scanner World - The Largest Dealer of Scanning Radios in the World - they are a tad cheaper. I have dealt with them in the past and it was non-eventful, they are highly reputable as well.

2 - Yep, reputable company.

3 - if you know what you want I would have them do it, but inevitably you will want to tweak it... best way to know is to program it yourself. It is not hard.

4 and 5 - The Bearcat software that comes on CD (and you can download it) is easy to use, much better than the Radio Shack software. The cable they give you has a serial interface on it... if you do not have a serial interface you will have to get a serial to USB adapter. This is assuming the BCD396XT ships with the same stuff my 396T did... To make life easy get the USB cable and you do not have to worry about it.

To add - get a good set of rechargeable batteries - I use the Energizer 2450 maH and/or Duracell 2600 maH - they work wonders and last a good long time. Also, go to Radio Shack and get the 800 Mhz Antenna for it - this will improve your reception in the 800 Mhz frequency.

G1G4

Find em Hot, Leave em Wet
ALWAYS make sure you get a USB-to-scanner cable. With so many software programs out now, you can download frequencies/talkgroups from Radioreference and import them into your scanner easily.

raven

I SAID IT YES I DID !

1. 495.00 - good price?
4. accessories? cables?
5. What about software?

thanks!

I like my Uniden Bearcat BCD996XT Scanner for about the same price.

Kumba

1. 495.00 - good price?
4. accessories? cables?
5. What about software?

thanks!

1. That's about MSRP. Shop around, especially for used models (in good condition). I got mine on eBay for $460, and it was practically brand new.

2. They're one of the more widely known shops for scanner gear. Others to look up are Universal Radio and Cheap Ham.

3. Nah. They'll charge you too much, and that's for a one-time programming. Being that you're interested in a hand-held model, you'll definitely want to pick up the art of programming it yourself so you can add the various counties in, either via the front panel (which can be tedious) or using various software. You money is better spent on a 1-year membership to Radio Reference instead (which is ~$30).

4. Most of what you'll get in the box will work well, but as others have noted, an 800MHz antenna will do you wonders. The Diamond RH77CA (BNC) or Diamond SRH77CA (SMA) is what you'll probably want to look at the most. If you have plans of using it in your car while driving, pick up a Larsen NMO Trunk Lip Mount and the Larsen NMO Triband 150/450/800 antenna (plus a BNC or SMA connector from Radio Shack and the parts to crimp it on).

And the USB connector IS optional....you get an older Serial connector included, which if you have a serial connector on your system, will work well enough.

5. This is the tricky bit. For free software that actually supports the extended features of the XT models, you have FreeScan, and that's about it. The older bcTool is another one that will support the XT's soon, once its re-write is complete (it's my preferred one but I'm stuck using FreeScan until the rewrite is done).

Paid, you have a few options. ProScan is one I hear some good reviews about (but wasn't impressed with it), while my personal favourite on the paid side is Butel's ARC XT Pro

Out of curiosity, which county (or counties) are you looking to listen in on?

Last edited:

Kumba

Lots of great info!!

Kumba - I want to listen to Charles mostly.. maybe prince george or laplata

Charles is fairly easy to program and listen to. Police are divided into four districts: D1 - La Plata, D2 - Indian Head, D3E - Waldorf (East), D3W/D4 - Waldorf (West).

Only two dispatch channels are active, though. D3E handles all calls for D3E and D3W/D4. D1 handles calls for D1 and D2. You'll also find La Plata Town Police operating on D1 as well....they pretty much work with CCSO and take dispatches from the same dispatcher. Listen for any callsign starting with the words "La Plata" and a number 600 to 699. I.e., "La Plata 611" refers to a town police unit, while "Adam 498" would be CCSO.

MSP lives on their own channel as well, but that's all they have. I believe it's just a filtered patch of their VHF frequency used for their state-wide comms. They go by the H designators, i.e., H-12, H-9. I think they also have one K9 Unit, K9-10. You sometimes hear an MSP unit switching over to D3E or D1 if they're assisting CCSO (or receiving assistance).

MdTA (Nice Bridge Police) and Natural Resources Police (NRP) do not normally operate on the county's trunked system. They have their own frequencies, all available on Radio Reference. However, I HAVE heard MdTA on the system before, when they were helping CCSO. They use 'N' designators, i.e., N-1, N-3, N-5, etc. Very rare, though, to hear them.

Fire/EMS has a primary channel, FE Main, and then they have six tactical channels that they occasionally move calls to if FE Main gets too cluttered. Tac 6 is randomly patched in to St. Mary's Tac 2, usually for mutual aid calls when Charles sends Fire/EMS units down to St. Mary's to assist in something. But I've heard it patched in on days when nothing is happening anywhere near the Charles border. Calvert has its own mutual aid channel, though, because their radio system is still in analog mode (Charles uses digital).

Fire/EMS is broken up into companies, which are all listed here, and an apparatus breakdown here. Engines are usually numbered from the top of the Company number. I.e., for Company 11 (Bryans Road), you have Engines 112, 113, and 115. Ambulances start at the bottom of the company number, 118, 119, etc. Even the NSWC Units (Company 20 for Indian Head, 21 for Stump Neck EOD, and 28 for Dahlgren) stick to this format it seems.

Beyond those, I don't listen much to the Jail, VanGo, or the utilities channels. No idea what's floating on those talkgroups.

Also, if you do get a BCD396XT, you can use the Unit ID feature. Normally, you program in a talkgroup in a trunked system as a number, say, 16552. But with the new Unit IDs, you can create groups identifying Fire, EMS, Police, by the individual unit ID. I.e., if I hear Ambulance 78, Tanker 5, Paul 151, etc.., key up, then my scanner will display that unit's callsign at the bottom of the screen. But only if I've matched up their UID, such as i22518, to their callsign (note the lower-case 'i' in front of the number).

I plan on formatting a list of these UIDs for most of Fire/EMS and a few CCSO units to put onto Radio Reference soon. Just haven't had the time lately.

---------------------

PG's a different can of worms. Right now, PG's basically switched over to a brand-spanking-new radio system, P25 Phase 2 TDMA-based. In a nutshell, it means they really can't be monitored anymore, as no scanner on the market can decode TDMA signals yet. But they will, in time, we hope. It's not a proprietary system (like ProVoice, used by Cecil County), just none of the scanner makers have had an opportunity yet to reverse engineer things. So Listening to either PG or even Loudon County is very tricky these days.

However, for now, if you use Radio Reference and plug in their older conventional frequencies, you'll still hear things, including PG Police, as their still patched in I believe. Only only through this year. I think Fire/EMS gets fully migrated to the new system at the end of this year, and in 2011, PG is going to relinquish control of their older frequency bands back to the FCC. So after that, they will be unmonitorable, unless Fire/EMS happens to have a FDMA radio (a.k.a., Charles, or DC, or someone using P25 Phase I) join in, which will cause PG's system to revert the entire talkgroup back to the monitorable FDMA mode (until that FDMA radio leaves the talkgroup)

When do TDMA-capable scanners come out? No one knows. Uniden's been really mum about it on the Radio Reference forums. GRE's publicly stated that none of their scanners has the appropriate hardware.

Hope that gets you started. Happy scanning!

Last edited: