Unsubstantiated Child Neglect

SG_Player1974

Don't waste your time. Its obvious from her last post that MR has never had children and is the "Keep off my grass" type! :coffee:

Misfit

Lawful neutral
supervise your freaking children. s that really htat hard of a concept for people? If you cant leave your kid alone in your home, you shouldn't leave them alone in a park or anywhere else for that matter. You guys can defend the free range crazy lady, having known kids raised by those type of parents i can say the rest of us end up raising your kids for you.

Why do you hate the children? :bawl:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
it means the court found it was wrong for this twit to let her 6 and 10 yo go to the park by themselves but there isn't technically a law against it. As i heard this lady claimed that the law "you can not leave a child under X home alone" didn't apply because her kids were not in her home. The court found that she was negelctful to let her kids wander the streets alone even if it wasn't against the letter of the law. This idiot is why we end up with laws about everything.

I do not agree with your assessment and will suggest that it's actually people like *you* who inspire these ridiculous nanny laws. Kids walking home from school? Walking to and from the park? Seriously you think that is neglectful? And you agree with a court citing someone for something that isn't against the law, but some judge thinks it should be?

I'm surprised you'd take that tack.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
That's ridiculous.

I grew up in a large neighborhood where a bunch of us were rarely under parental supervision. Building forts, catching frogs, fishing, riding bikes, etc.

there's absolutely zero reason a parent should be required to constantly keep watch over their children. More to the point of this thread, the is no law that says that, and that's the crux of the issue.

Exactly.

Midnightrider

I do not agree with your assessment and will suggest that it's actually people like *you* who inspire these ridiculous nanny laws. Kids walking home from school? Walking to and from the park? Seriously you think that is neglectful? And you agree with a court citing someone for something that isn't against the law, but some judge thinks it should be?

For a 10yo its arguable, but not for a 6yo. This lady wasn't busted for letting her kids walk home from school, it was for letting them go to the park by themselves. Maybe I am jaded because my kids had 'free range' friends and I spent plenty of time parenting them because their parents couldn't be bothered.

Care to explain the logic behind children being left in the home alone being illegal but leaving them alone in public shouldn't be?

Hank

my war
That's ridiculous.

I grew up in a large neighborhood where a bunch of us were rarely under parental supervision. Building forts, catching frogs, fishing, riding bikes, etc.

there's absolutely zero reason a parent should be required to constantly keep watch over their children. More to the point of this thread, the is no law that says that, and that's the crux of the issue.

Same here!

Hell, I would ride my bike 5-10 miles to get to the record and music stores at 10-14 years old.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Care to explain the logic behind children being left in the home alone being illegal but leaving them alone in public shouldn't be?

I think the "home alone" laws are ridiculous as well and there is no logic to government control, as far as I can tell. A 6 and 10 year old should be able to walk to and from school or go to the park. Maybe not the 6 year old alone, but certainly with a 10 year old sibling. We baby our kids way too much these days, which is why we have so many arrested development adults.

Midnightrider

I think the "home alone" laws are ridiculous as well and there is no logic to government control, as far as I can tell. A 6 and 10 year old should be able to walk to and from school or go to the park. Maybe not the 6 year old alone, but certainly with a 10 year old sibling. We baby our kids way too much these days, which is why we have so many arrested development adults.

The logic to them is that people are stupid and will leave their kids home alone regardless of their age and if there isn't a law no one can do anything about it.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron

That's all because MR is a pussy raised by a helicopter parent, IMHO.

Tech

That's ridiculous.

But for some reason my mother knew what I was up to, even on the other side of town. :(

Chris0nllyn

For a 10yo its arguable, but not for a 6yo. This lady wasn't busted for letting her kids walk home from school, it was for letting them go to the park by themselves. Maybe I am jaded because my kids had 'free range' friends and I spent plenty of time parenting them because their parents couldn't be bothered.

A few points.

1). The kids walked 2 blocks to the park. Based on wording of the original articles, the 10 year old called his mom when cops first dropped the kids off. This could mean he either used a house phone (who uses those anymore?) or has a cell phone.

Do you believe that the law should leave zero room for interpretation or discretion?

2). Did those "free range kids" you watched have to be inside the house or under your supervision, or could they conceivably be allowed to go outside without you feeling the need to watch them, then blaming your own guilt on the parents of the kids?

Last edited:

Hank

my war
I'm curious what that means, you "parented" them? In what way?

With a hockey stick?!?! :shrug:

http://smnewsnet.com/archives/234178/mother-arrested-after-beating-son-with-a-hockey-stick/

On Friday, February 27, 2015, Deputy Pontorno of the St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office responded to a residence on Caravel Court in Great Mills, for a reported assault.

The victim alleged their mother, Jennifer Ann Andra, 38 of Great Mills, struck him repeatedly with a hockey stick.