Used Shipping Containers

Hannibal

Consider calling around to local GC's. They are used all over on jobsites and office yards and they get turned over every so often. They are usually structurally sound but can't take the constant transportation loads (offloading/reloading, etc.). And for a larger company, the value is in buying a new one rather than constantly tending to an older one. They can usually be had for a good price if you're willing to wait on them to come available.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
A gun store in Muncie,IN has one, I understand that shooting in it the concussion is not comfortable.

Shoot.. what caliber would be uncomfortable??

We had "indoor" tank ranges in Germany.. Couldn't shoot our tanks in them, but could shoot anything less than 90mm or so..

Shooting down a LOOOOOONG tunnel.

black dog

Free America
Shoot.. what caliber would be uncomfortable??

We had "indoor" tank ranges in Germany.. Couldn't shoot our tanks in them, but could shoot anything less than 90mm or so..

Shooting down a LOOOOOONG tunnel.

A shipping container is not a loooong tunnel, it's a 8'x8' closed box that's 20 to 53' long.
Just shooting a 9mm that's compensated can be uncomfortable at a outdoor range under roof. In a closed box it would be brutal. Think about someone next to you shooting a sbr in 223 with a brake on it..
The connex ranges are popular for temporary ranges and like Muncie, it's in a high density area that a full sized range would not fit on the property.
For a gun store it works well for someone to do a test fire before they buy.

inkah

Just want a place to put some water toys for the winter since I don't have a garage. I figured sealed was the way to go, but hadn't though of the circulation thing... I figured I'd just put it on the ground - also hadn't thought of putting it up on blocks. :/

black dog

Free America
Yep. Lift it up so air circulates under it.. and with a dehumidifier on a timer you can control humidity inside.. mine run about 30 min a day I believe.
Moldy toys are no fun to ride...

Goldenhawk

A gun store in Muncie,IN has one, I understand that shooting in it the concussion is not comfortable.
That's an easy fix. If you have money to by the conex, spend a few more dollars to "sound-proof" it. Call your local HVAC contractor, and have them order you a few 4x12 panels of 2" fiberglass duct board. Or order some of them cut to 2x4 from Amazon,
https://www.amazon.com/ATS-Acoustics-Rigid-Fiberglass-Board/dp/B006FY7RHY

These are terrific at absorbing sound. Line the first eight to 12 feet of walls and ceiling with those, mount a few more to the inside of the doors, and the echoing and concussion will be MUCH reduced.

black dog

Free America
That's an easy fix. If you have money to by the conex, spend a few more dollars to "sound-proof" it. Call your local HVAC contractor, and have them order you a few 4x12 panels of 2" fiberglass duct board. Or order some of them cut to 2x4 from Amazon,
https://www.amazon.com/ATS-Acoustics-Rigid-Fiberglass-Board/dp/B006FY7RHY

These are terrific at absorbing sound. Line the first eight to 12 feet of walls and ceiling with those, mount a few more to the inside of the doors, and the echoing and concussion will be MUCH reduced.

For some folks I'm sure it works out well..
Thank you but no Thank you, we shoot way to much to shoot inside a box.
Have you ever shot outside at a range with someone shooting a 223 with a muzzle break on it much less a 308 or 300 win mag with a break? How about a 308 AR with a 10' barrel and a break..
Plus for me I shoot alot of bullseye pistol, it's tough to get 25 and 50 yards in a connex.
I shoot for fun, not to get a headache and bloody eyeballs. :lmao:

black dog

Free America
I saw some 20' double doored on craigslist today, $4095 ea.

Wow... That sounds kinna proud. 5+ - years ago I paid 2,400 for two 20' delivered with doors on one end. The ones I bought in MD before that were less than a 1,000 a piece delivered from Baltimore to Mechanicsville.

Goldenhawk

Wow... That sounds kinna proud. 5+ - years ago I paid 2,400 for two 20' delivered with doors on one end. The ones I bought in MD before that were less than a 1,000 a piece delivered from Baltimore to Mechanicsville.

Maybe the whole "tiny house" thing has created some upward pricing pressure... shipping containers are being used for housing projects these days.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
A shipping container is not a loooong tunnel, it's a 8'x8' closed box that's 20 to 53' long.
Just shooting a 9mm that's compensated can be uncomfortable at a outdoor range under roof. In a closed box it would be brutal. Think about someone next to you shooting a sbr in 223 with a brake on it..
The connex ranges are popular for temporary ranges and like Muncie, it's in a high density area that a full sized range would not fit on the property.
For a gun store it works well for someone to do a test fire before they buy.

Not real hard to line them up and put a number of them together, if you had a long, narrow piece of property you needed to use.