Utility Bills

WPoFD

Are you in one of those newer, "load balanced" places or something for your electricity to be so low? I remember seeing ads for new homes in Vegas where they guaranteed your utility bill wouldn't exceed a certain amount, like maybe $90, because it was load balanced. We always paid more than that for a one bedroom apartment, here in San Diego. Sometimes our SDG&E was $150 for a month.

No, I just don't waste electricity. I'm always hot, so I don't need heat in the winter. Drives my girlfriend crazy! The appliances are relatively new, I keep the filter in the furnace clean, and keep unused rooms closed off (to include closing the vents). Realistically, this has been a very mild winter, too.

I'm renting the place and have been in it less than a year, so SMECO doesn't have me on a balance plan. The guy who was in here before me had similar, but slightly higher, bills.

Anyway, those are my bills. It is what it is.

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
For me, living in SoCal was MUCH cheaper than living here. I know that is hard to believe but it is true.

W

Wenchy

No, I just don't waste electricity. I'm always hot, so I don't need heat in the winter. Drives my girlfriend crazy! The appliances are relatively new, I keep the filter in the furnace clean, and keep unused rooms closed off (to include closing the vents). Realistically, this has been a very mild winter, too.

I'm renting the place and have been in it less than a year, so SMECO doesn't have me on a balance plan. The guy who was in here before me had similar, but slightly higher, bills.

When exactly did you move here and what are the dates on your last bill?

http://forums.somd.com/2481288-post1.html

W

Wenchy

Seriously? Why do you care? You have nothing better to do than question my integrity over utility bills? You saw (and linked to) my first post here, so you know when I moved here. Damn, lady, find another hobby.

Nope. That was when you were asking about moving to the area, and then you mentioned in this thread you had lived here for less than a year.

I am questioning your electric bill...because I care and a lot of others on here do as well. We pay much more.

For the moment, you are my hobby. :evil:

WPoFD

Nope. That was when you were asking about moving to the area, and then you mentioned in this thread you had lived here for less than a year.

I am questioning your electric bill...because I care and a lot of others on here do as well. We pay much more.

For the moment, you are my hobby. :evil:

Well, Wenchy, perhaps instead of being obsessive and antagonist you could attempt something closer to curious and inquisitive.

As I said, and as you fact checked and discovered was true, I have lived here less than a year. My first post = when I was moving here.

If you own a calender and can do simple math, you'll figure out on your own for which months I've been billed. I didn't make up my bills, my SMECO and METCO stubs and checkbook register is sitting in front of me. I know what I paid, I don't owe you and you aren't entitled to anything.

Listen, if your electric bill's too high, put on a sweater, turn off all the damn lights, and use some common sense. Another thing, you've got a family - I'm a single guy. So no doubt I use less electricity.

You know, I lurk on these boards because I find that people are just looking for something/anything to complain about, and quite a few are here to pick fights. God forbid someone use this community forum to be helpful, friendly and positive.

People like you, Wenchy, seem to forget that people who are seeking information about SOMD come here to learn. And that you should be ambassadors, not azzholes.

backagain39

Well, Wenchy, perhaps instead of being obsessive and antagonist you could attempt something closer to curious and inquisitive.

As I said, and as you fact checked and discovered was true, I have lived here less than a year. My first post = when I was moving here.

If you own a calender and can do simple math, you'll figure out on your own for which months I've been billed. I didn't make up my bills, my SMECO and METCO stubs and checkbook register is sitting in front of me. I know what I paid, I don't owe you and you aren't entitled to anything.

Listen, if your electric bill's too high, put on a sweater, turn off all the damn lights, and use some common sense. Another thing, you've got a family - I'm a single guy. So no doubt I use less electricity.

You know, I lurk on these boards because I find that people are just looking for something/anything to complain about, and quite a few are here to pick fights. God forbid someone use this community forum to be helpful, friendly and positive.

People like you, Wenchy, seem to forget that people who are seeking information about SOMD come here to learn. And that you should be ambassadors, not azzholes.

:killingme:killingme:killingme WELCOME TO SOUTHERN MARYLAND!!!!

W

Wenchy

I feel sorry for your girlfriend and it's no wonder you are single. :razz:

WPoFD

Insult me and my girlfriend because I dared stand my ground with you after you picked a fight and were disrespectful to me without reason.

That's very immature, Wenchy, especially for someone who frequently chides and counsels others in the parenting forum. It's also a nasty little violation of the forum's decency rules. As a married woman and mother, I'd expect you to be a bit more savvy at resolving your disputes. However, given the nasty tone you've taken with me (not to mention the negative karma you sent), I'm not surprised.

And you, backagain39, you think it's humorous that the place you call home is portrayed as a negative environment. Well, I grew up in Maryland and have lived all over the world. This is my home, and I'm proud of it. And the people I know and love and respect don't behave or carry on like you and the others here who seek to turn every little thing into an argument. The venomous vitriol that you and others spew is shameful and sad.

My vindication is the numerous people who sent me positive karma for telling you where to stick your nasty, abusive, and obnoxious behavior. This is a public forum, not your private domain for treating others as you see fit. Frankly, you should be embarrassed; however, again based on your demonstrated lack of civility and class, that you possess the character to be shameful and embarrassed. Those are emotions and reactions reserved for people who have morals.

You want to make SOMD a better place (as so many of you complained in a recent thread)? Well, start with improving yourself. This town isn't better than the people who inhabit it. You aren't above this place, you are this place.

My comments fall on deaf ears, I'm afraid.

backagain39

Insult me and my girlfriend because I dared stand my ground with you after you picked a fight and were disrespectful to me without reason.

That's very immature, Wenchy, especially for someone who frequently chides and counsels others in the parenting forum. It's also a nasty little violation of the forum's decency rules. As a married woman and mother, I'd expect you to be a bit more savvy at resolving your disputes. However, given the nasty tone you've taken with me (not to mention the negative karma you sent), I'm not surprised.

And you, backagain39, you think it's humorous that the place you call home is portrayed as a negative environment. Well, I grew up in Maryland and have lived all over the world. This is my home, and I'm proud of it. And the people I know and love and respect don't behave or carry on like you and the others here who seek to turn every little thing into an argument. The venomous vitriol that you and others spew is shameful and sad.

My vindication is the numerous people who sent me positive karma for telling you where to stick your nasty, abusive, and obnoxious behavior. This is a public forum, not your private domain for treating others as you see fit. Frankly, you should be embarrassed; however, again based on your demonstrated lack of civility and class, that you possess the character to be shameful and embarrassed. Those are emotions and reactions reserved for people who have morals.

You want to make SOMD a better place (as so many of you complained in a recent thread)? Well, start with improving yourself. This town isn't better than the people who inhabit it. You aren't above this place, you are this place.

I was laughing at what you posted about people in the forum......lighten up and enjoy life................

WPoFD

I was laughing at what you posted about people in the forum......lighten up and enjoy life................

My apologies, backagain39. Sincerely.

Wenchy, I debated whether to air this or not, but I think I should, just to illustrate how low, brutal and absolutely uncalled for your comment about me, my girlfriend, and my bieng single was:

In 2003, my wife of five years, who I had dated for more than five years prior and known since junior high school, was killed by a drunk driver.

That's why I'm single. I hope you and your family have a wonderful life together and never know that kind of pain and sorrow. Goodnight.

W

Wenchy

My apologies, backagain39. Sincerely.

Wenchy, I debated whether to air this or not, but I think I should, just to illustrate how low, brutal and absolutely uncalled for your comment about me, my girlfriend, and my bieng single was:

In 2003, my wife of five years, who I had dated for more than five years prior and known since junior high school, was killed by a drunk driver.

That's why I'm single. I hope you and your family have a wonderful life together and never know that kind of pain and sorrow. Goodnight.

Okay...

Good night and enjoy those low electric bills. BRRR! :howdy:

Oh, and you can take back the false comment you made about me sending you nasty karma.

3-story, 3000 sqft townhouse on the water. I keep the temp at 68-70 deg F, run the dishwasher once a week, and do about 2-3 loads of laundry per week.

electricity: $65
water & sewage: $52

Welcome to SOMD.

Am I hearing you right? You do not turn on your heat at all in the winter? And you cool you house for $65 in the summer? That is amazing! My Mom lives in a condo surrounded on two sides and top and below by others and that is about what her bill runs, of course if she wasn't home all day it could be a lot less.

shark2003

Damn..this is a good subject...where do I start....this is my first house and it is a modular built in 85 about 1200 sq feet and I am the only one living here and as far as I know nothing has been replaced. Hot water,stove and heat use propane. My propane bill last winter was outrageuos,at least $800.00 or more from Oct to Feb....last summer it ran out in early June so I took cold showers for about 3 months....my electric bills during the summer were almost $200.00 a month and the AC would barely cool my house...I had trouble igniting my heater this year and just decided to not use my central heat and conserve on my propane and run enclosed oil filled electric space heaters and it seems to be doing alright if I keep the rest of the rooms closed up,but again my electric bill is about $130.00+ a month...water bill went up and the last bill I looked at was for $55.00...this area sucks for utilities...unless you are dirt poor you dont get any breaks...

Last edited:

shamrockmommy

Some of you (us) with older homes should go up in the attic and take a peek at the level of insulation.
Our house is 34 years old and last winter the heat oil cost was INSANE and we keep the house set at 67-68. It was about 600 bucks every 6 weeks or so (eeeek!).
The insulation in the ceiling was only at an R4 value. We blew in insulation this fall to an R40 level and it holds the heat much more evenly.
Of course the crawl space still needs insulation, it has zero insulation under the floors and it would be nice to replace windows and re-finish the basement (it only has 1x2 boards against the walls with paneling attached, so no insulation. But those will come with time as we can.
But check your insulation :)

navyman

I just got my propane bill in the mail today. For 179 gallons, the cost was $711 total. That comes out to be about $3.90 a gallon...yikes! I'm with United Propane.

Can anyone else comment on their propane costs per gallon and with whom?

backagain39

I just got my propane bill in the mail today. For 179 gallons, the cost was $711 total. That comes out to be about $3.90 a gallon...yikes! I'm with United Propane.

Can anyone else comment on their propane costs per gallon and with whom?

I have valley national out of white plains.....my cost is about the same. I tried checking around for better prices and not that much of a difference. There was a difference on delivery requirements....minimum amounts, delivery dates, payments....etc. Also some companies require that you have thier tanks installed first because they will not fill your existing tanks if they do not belong to them....wtf?????

W

Wenchy

Also some companies require that you have thier tanks installed first because they will not fill your existing tanks if they do not belong to them....wtf?????

They know they have you by the balls.

What are you willing to sacrifice instead of no heat and no electric?

W

Wenchy

My only issue is with your obviously fictitious posting of utility costs here in MD. A person was asking for an honest estimate of utility costs and yours was way off the board. I questioned it, and still say you are full of BS. You did NOT give an honest answer to an honest question.

BTW. I am from Montgomery County and my sister lives in Frederick. We might know each other.

LOL, I am moving, I have had enough...............

I don't blame you. MOM is taxing us right out of the state. My mortgage payment will be less than my utilities within a decade, and my property taxes within two decades.

I don't see COLA going up to even get close to the expenses we have.