Vacant house question

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Long story short. A few weeks ago we car tripped up to Branson, MO. Since there is no direct interstate, we spent a lot of time on secondary roads.

What I noticed was on our route through Alabama, Mississippi & Arkansas was the incredible number of derelict houses along the route.

So here is my question. Why is it that vacant houses implode in a short time after being empty? What is it about a home being occupied that seems to prevent it from falling in disrepair?

FWIW, I saw more beat up homes on that trip than I had in the 5 years we were on the road. Sure we saw 1 every now and again. But nothing to this level of volume.

PeoplesElbow

Long story short. A few weeks ago we car tripped up to Branson, MO. Since there is no direct interstate, we spent a lot of time on secondary roads.

What I noticed was on our route through Alabama, Mississippi & Arkansas was the incredible number of derelict houses along the route.

So here is my question. Why is it that vacant houses implode in a short time after being empty? What is it about a home being occupied that seems to prevent it from falling in disrepair?

FWIW, I saw more beat up homes on that trip than I had in the 5 years we were on the road. Sure we saw 1 every now and again. But nothing to this level of volume.
Guessing that its the lack of climate control, ie moisture.

My moms house has not been permanently occupied in four years now but its fine. I have a connected thermostat in it that I can monitor.

There was a new house built beside my grandfathers property, the guy wasn't able to finish it and never moved in and the roof caved in and the entire house imploded within 10 years id say. Meanwhile my grandfather's house was over 100 years old at the time, the basement walls were made of large rocks mortered together.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
ChatGPT says:

Abandoned houses tend to fall into ruin for several reasons. Firstly, lack of maintenance and care accelerates their deterioration. Without regular upkeep, structural elements such as roofs, walls, and foundations may weaken or develop leaks, leading to further damage over time.

Secondly, abandoned houses often attract vandalism and theft. Broken windows, graffiti, and stolen fixtures can contribute to the deterioration and degradation of the property.

Additionally, weather conditions, including rain, snow, and extreme temperatures, can cause significant damage to abandoned houses, especially when there are existing vulnerabilities due to neglect. Water intrusion, mold growth, and decay can further compromise the structure and render it uninhabitable.

Lastly, legal and financial issues can also contribute to the decay of abandoned houses. Property owners may neglect their responsibilities or face challenges in selling or renovating the property due to legal disputes, unpaid taxes, or financial difficulties.

Overall, the combination of neglect, vandalism, weather exposure, and legal/financial complications causes abandoned houses to fall into ruin over time.

Tech

My moms house has not been permanently occupied in four years now but its fine. I have a connected thermostat in it that I can monitor.

There was a new house built beside my grandfathers property, the guy wasn't able to finish it and never moved in and the roof caved in and the entire house imploded within 10 years id say. Meanwhile my grandfather's house was over 100 years old at the time, the basement walls were made of large rocks mortered together.
Many years ago, worked at a facility that was closed. After the first winter with the heat off, the paint just fell off.

Clem72

If you take the back roads through the southwest or even the less traveled interstates (like route 66 or 40) you will see entire towns abandoned in the 50s-70s that are still more or less in tact. Basically the structures stand until eventually they burn down and you just get a chimney left.

Blister

If you take the back roads through the southwest or even the less traveled interstates (like route 66 or 40) you will see entire towns abandoned in the 50s-70s that are still more or less in tact. Basically the structures stand until eventually they burn down and you just get a chimney left.
I think your post points out the difference between climates. Humid warm/hot climates encourage mold, plant, and fungi growth. In dry areas like the southwest mud brick adobe houses can stand for centuries unoccupied.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

This. The houses of old were built to account for weather changes and were very airy with free flow of air movement taken into account due to the fact that there was no air conditioning back in the day. There was no drywall to speak of. Walls were covered with plaster with didn't fall apart at the slightest threat of moisture. Most had extremely airy crawl spaces, and higher room ceilings. The windows of the day were huge compared to the ones installed today to allow the house,when opened, to rid itself of the summer heat by allowing air to pass freely throughout the house.

Today, houses are built so tight that decay will soon set in if left empty for long enough. More so if the power is cut off.

Clem72

I think your post points out the difference between climates. Humid warm/hot climates encourage mold, plant, and fungi growth. In dry areas like the southwest mud brick adobe houses can stand for centuries unoccupied.
Agree with the humidity comment, but I will note these are not adobe mud/brick houses. Do you think these were indian hamlets built on the interstate? They are normal stick built homes, most built post WWII and abandoned only a few short decades later (and it wasn't the style to stucco everything to look indigenous back then).

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Meanwhile my grandfather's house was over 100 years old at the time, the basement walls were made of large rocks mortered together.
We lived with my maternal grandparents house until I was 7. That house was built in 1897 and is still in excellent condition.
It had a similar foundation to your grandfather's house.

The house my parents bought in March 1964 was built in 1915. The foundation was laid up with concrete blocks and there are buttresses inside the cellar to help hold the walls in proper alignment. Also still in excellent condition. We sold it in March 2021 after mom passed.

Both houses had plaster and lath walls and ceilings. The lumber used in both was rough cut.

Blister

Agree with the humidity comment, but I will note these are not adobe mud/brick houses. Do you think these were indian hamlets built on the interstate? They are normal stick built homes, most built post WWII and abandoned only a few short decades later (and it wasn't the style to stucco everything to look indigenous back then).
I was referring to the pueblos and cliff dwellings that are 100's of years old.