Vacuum Cleaner Suggestions

bcp

In My Opinion
Ill put my Electrolux Guardian up against the Dyson or Kirby any day.

wont even mention the oreck, bringing an oreck to the suck off between Electrolux, Dyson and kirby would be like bringing a chiuahua to the dog fights.

C

czygvtwkr

IF you have a rainbow try this. The suction adjustment on the beater bar unit, give it a pull. You will quickly see that it does absolutely nothing. Its just a piece of plastic that slides back and forth, it doesn't even open/close holes. That water doesn't trap as much dust and dirt as you think.

I sold kirby's one summer, they are OK but the sales tactics are tricky and they are way over priced.

Electrolux, Filter Queen, etc etc give me a Hoover or Eureka any day (or Dyson).

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
IF you have a rainbow try this. The suction adjustment on the beater bar unit, give it a pull. You will quickly see that it does absolutely nothing. Its just a piece of plastic that slides back and forth, it doesn't even open/close holes. That water doesn't trap as much dust and dirt as you think.

I sold kirby's one summer, they are OK but the sales tactics are tricky and they are way over priced.

Electrolux, Filter Queen, etc etc give me a Hoover or Eureka any day (or Dyson).

I agree about replacing the carpet with either hardwood floors, or tile with that many pets!

But for cleaning carpets, and flooring of any type - I definitely recommend the Rainbow. Wet dust can't fly. I've used a Rainbow for 20 years & I just wouldn't use anything else.

Any vacuum cleaner has some sort of porous filter and container to catch the dirt. The bag is the dirt container and filter in a regular vacuum. In a container vacuum, there are also porous filters. (sometimes a couple of different filters) Vacuum cleaners also have to have vents or the motors will burn up. Actually, vacuum cleaner is a misnomer, because nothing moves in a vacuum. As soon as you turn on a vacuum cleaner with a brand new bag-you begin to lose airflow when the bag starts to get clogged. (it's creating a vacuum.) With a container type of vacuum, the filters clog. You lose airflow/efficiency because of the design in both types of vacuums.

The Rainbow's airflow doesn't ever clog up, because the dust & dirt, animal hair, etc. go into the water. Contrary to what critics say, the water does trap something like 99.99% of dust. Plus, the machine doesn't lose any power due to airflow loss. Ordinarily, you don't have a container filled with sludgy water, but if you should have a very dirty basin, you just empty it out & start with fresh water.

W

WildCherry

Thanks everybody! Eventually I will get hardwood floors but keep carpet in the bedrooms. Unfortunetly I have to wait awhile. Hopefully not too long.

As far as cleaning goes, once you go hardwood you will never go back to carpet again! You can NEVER get all that hair out of the carpet. However, with Endust and a a dust mop on a hardwood floor you can work magic!

mingiz

Horse Poor
I have a rainbow vac, and it is the best vac, we've had. The good thing about this vac is, all the dirt and dust and dog hair go into that water container and you drain it out and throw it away, not getting all in the air. If you have dogs and use vacs is bag or bagless, they always end up with a bad smell, even if you keep up with wiping them down and changing the bag, the rainbow doesnt have that problem, they always smell fresh.

:yeahthat:

Hoover

I have Dyson Animal and I love it. Its 4-5 years old and it still works as if brand new. I highly recommend.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
:yeahthat:

But the Dyson Animal is an excellent vacuum. I've had mine for a couple years now and it's wonderful.

Double :yeahthat: ... hardwoods are easier with pet hair b/c you can just do a quick sweep with a broom each day. For carpet, you can't beat the Dyson Animal Ball. I've had mine for almost 3 years and no problems, and never loses suction! :yay:

C

czygvtwkr

I agree about replacing the carpet with either hardwood floors, or tile with that many pets!

But for cleaning carpets, and flooring of any type - I definitely recommend the Rainbow. Wet dust can't fly. I've used a Rainbow for 20 years & I just wouldn't use anything else.

Any vacuum cleaner has some sort of porous filter and container to catch the dirt. The bag is the dirt container and filter in a regular vacuum. In a container vacuum, there are also porous filters. (sometimes a couple of different filters) Vacuum cleaners also have to have vents or the motors will burn up. Actually, vacuum cleaner is a misnomer, because nothing moves in a vacuum. As soon as you turn on a vacuum cleaner with a brand new bag-you begin to lose airflow when the bag starts to get clogged. (it's creating a vacuum.) With a container type of vacuum, the filters clog. You lose airflow/efficiency because of the design in both types of vacuums.

The Rainbow's airflow doesn't ever clog up, because the dust & dirt, animal hair, etc. go into the water. Contrary to what critics say, the water does trap something like 99.99% of dust. Plus, the machine doesn't lose any power due to airflow loss. Ordinarily, you don't have a container filled with sludgy water, but if you should have a very dirty basin, you just empty it out & start with fresh water.

Not all types of dirt actually gets wet as it goes through the water, that's why they put a filter like the Dyson on their E Series vacuums.

You also need to empty the water every time or the bearings will rust and seize up.

Like I said check out the head and tell me what that suction control thing actually does........

Every vacuum out there has some sort of gimmick that really does not make it any better than the next, some fall for it some don't.

I sold quite a few $1600 vacuum cleaners I knew about all of them.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Broke down and finally purchased a Dyson yesterday. I couldn't wait to try it! This beast is awesome and I LOVE it!! I vacuumed the carpet Saturday (with our old crappy Eureka) and again last night with the Dyson. It was gross looking at the cannister afterward. :dead:

I'm hoping this will lessen the impact on my allergies as a bonus! :buddies:

J

jp2854

i have an electrolux canister vaccumm so its easy to pull around and love it. it picks up alot of dog hair/cat hair and my place is always pretty clean. I love it as I can also vaccumm lenolium (sp) with it and it gets all the junk off my floors that the dog drags in with her long tail.

poster

I tried a Dyson. Then I went and bought an Oreck! LOVE IT~!

I have a Dyson and it works well but is very heavy.
We recently went to hardwood in part of the house and now I wish we had an Oreck.

When my Dyson goes up I'm getting an Oreck next.
Will probably never happen because the Dyson seems like it will run forever.