Vegetarians are throwing me for a loop

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Asian noodles

1 pound whole wheat spaghetti
2 tablespoons peanut oil
1 package shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced (other mushrooms work well, too)
4 scallions, thinly sliced
4 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
2/3 cup dark soy sauce
3 tablespoons honey
A few dashes hot pepper sauce
One 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced fine
2 cloves garlic, minced fine

Boil the noodles per package instructions and drain. Saute the mushrooms in the peanut oil until soft, 2 or 3 minutes, then season with salt. Remove from heat and stir in scallions and sesame seeds.

In a bowl, combine 2/3 cup of water, the honey, soy sauce, pepper sauce, ginger and garlic. Blend well (because of the honey) and add the mushroom mixture. Toss with the pasta or serve the sauce over the top.

Takes about 15 minutes to prepare and is good cold as well as hot. :yum:

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
DOUBLE-ORANGE CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS
Yield: 1 dozen

These pretty, streusel-topped muffins are not only delectable, but contain a dose of Vitamin C from fresh orange juice as well as concentrate. The concentrate also contributes sweetness as well as color.
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup orange juice (preferably fresh, with pulp)
1/2 cup orange juice concentrate
1/2 cup vanilla soy yogurt
1 tablespoon light vegetable oil
1 cup chocolate chips, preferably cane juice sweetened
Streusel:
1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup natural granulated sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Dash nutmeg
1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a mixing bowl, combine the first 3 (dry) ingredients and stir together. In another bowl, combine the juice, concentrate, yogurt, and oil and stir until blended.

Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet mixture. Stir together until thoroughly combined, then stir in the chocolate chips. Divide the batter evenly among 12 foil-lined muffin tins.

Combine the first 5 ingredients for the streusel in a small mixing bowl. Drizzle in the oil, then stir together until the dry ingredients are evenly moistened. Sprinkle the streusel evenly over the muffins.

Bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin tests clean. When cool enough to handle, transfer the muffins to a plate or rack to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
vraiblonde said:
Of course.

Marinated asparagus

2 bunches fresh asparagus, trimmed
1 1/2 cups balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Blanch asparagus just until tender, about 1 minute. Plunge into a bowl of cold water to cool. Drain asparagus and place in a large resealable plastic bag. Pour in vinaigrette and seal bag. Refrigerate at least 3 hours, turning bag occasionally.

Just before serving, drain asparagus, reserving vinaigrette for dipping. Arrange on a serving platter and sprinkle lightly with lemon zest, parsley, salt, and pepper. Serve reserved vinaigrette in a small dish on the side.
Drinks beer, puts grills together and this? :flowers:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
kom526 said:
Drinks beer, puts grills together and this? :flowers:
PS, after you marinate the asparagus (skip the blanching), you can pop it on the grill for 10 minutes, turning frequently and brushing with marinade, and it is so good you'll eat every last stalk.

lovinmaryland

BadGirl said:
They are of the pseudo-vegetarian variety, because they do eat milk products, cheese, and seafood.

I'd be very interested in getting your shrimp and orzo salad recipe.

Your other suggestions sound like great options as well.

I don't want to spend a ton of time worrying about what to feed these people. It would be so much easier to just pick up a bucket of chicken before heading out on the boat. But noooooooooo. :bawl:

Thanks!

here you go, this is not a recipe i made up it is from barefoot contessa. it is excellent, in fact all her recipes are. i have never once made a recipe of hers and it not turn out. I think this would be perfect for their main dish on the boat.

Kosher salt
Good olive oil
3/4 pound orzo pasta (rice-shaped pasta)
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (3 lemons)
Freshly ground black pepper
2 pounds (16 to 18 count) shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 cup minced scallions, white and green parts
1 cup chopped fresh dill
1 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 hothouse cucumber, unpeeled, seeded, and medium-diced
1/2 cup small-diced red onion
3/4 pound good feta cheese, large diced

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Fill a large pot with water, add 1 tablespoon of salt and a splash of oil, and bring the water to a boil. Add the orzo and simmer for 9 to 11 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it's cooked al dente. Drain and pour into a large bowl. Whisk together the lemon juice, 1/2 cup olive oil, 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Pour over the hot pasta and stir well.

Meanwhile, place the shrimp on a sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to combine and spread out in a single layer. Roast for 5 to 6 minutes, until the shrimp are cooked through. Don't overcook!

Add the shrimp to the orzo and then add the scallions, dill, parsley, cucumber, onion, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Toss well. Add the feta and stir carefully. Set aside at room temperature for 1 hour to allow the flavors to blend, or refrigerate overnight. If refrigerated, taste again for seasonings and bring back to room temperature before serving.

Attachments

• ig0806_shrimporzo_e.jpg
    ig0806_shrimporzo_e.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 73

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Tinkerbell said:
I have a really good vegetable lasagna recipe, pretty easy too, but it's at home!!! :bawl:
Thanks, but I think that I'll skip the lasagna. I think for dinner on Saturday evening I'll be making fresh rockfish stuffed with crab imperial and a nice salad. Pretty easy...and if my plan holds out, we'll be using the rockfish that we'll catch on Saturdya morning.

Vince

BadGirl said:
Thanks, but I think that I'll skip the lasagna. I think for dinner on Saturday evening I'll be making fresh rockfish stuffed with crab imperial and a nice salad. Pretty easy...and if my plan holds out, we'll be using the rockfish that we'll catch on Saturdya morning.
I wouldn't count on the rockfish as far as catching it. Friends and I were out last week and they are not biting anywhere. Went out to bouy 72 and all around that area. All we got were a few croakers. If the water would warm up a little maybe they'll start hitting. :shrug:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Vince said:
I wouldn't count on the rockfish as far as catching it. Friends and I were out last week and they are not biting anywhere. Went out to bouy 72 and all around that area. All we got were a few croakers. If the water would warm up a little maybe they'll start hitting. :shrug:
As a backup we have some in the freezer that I can pull out in a pinch.

Hey, we also have some catfish filets and some wahoooooooooo that we caught in the fall down in the Outer Banks that we could use.

If nothing else, it willl give me an oportunity to somewhat empty out our freezer.

J

julz20684

BadGirl said:
My best friend and her new dude are coming in to town this weekend, and she just just informed me that they are vegetarians. :yikes:

What the heck am I going to feel them while they are here?

We are a meat-eating family....I'm not even sure what a veggie is anymore.

Anybody have any suggestions for a picnic meal that we can easily take on a boat?

Also a breakfast meal that doesn't use any meat products?

BG,
Are they true vegetarians or pescatarians...do they eat seafood?

Nebbermind, just saw your earlier post :doh: Tons of things you can do with seafood!

J

julz20684

mainman said:
Wouldn't that get boring after a while? :confused:

You aint' kidding...Frick is a pescatarian and all she ever eats is shrimp, pasta, tunafish, pb&j...it's a biatch sometimes trying to put variety in her meals.

mainman

Set Trippin
julz20684 said:
You aint' kidding...Frick is a pescatarian and all she ever eats is shrimp, pasta, tunafish, pb&j...it's a biatch sometimes trying to put variety in her meals.
you should change that to "pest"catarian...:lmao:

Wickedwrench

Stubborn and opinionated
BadGirl said:
My best friend and her new dude are coming in to town this weekend, and she just just informed me that they are vegetarians. :yikes:

What the heck am I going to feel them while they are here?

We are a meat-eating family....I'm not even sure what a veggie is anymore.

Anybody have any suggestions for a picnic meal that we can easily take on a boat?

Also a breakfast meal that doesn't use any meat products?

Tie them up and make them eat bacon until they become normal folks again!:yay:

Cowgirl

julz20684 said:

I thought that was an ovo-lacto vegetarian....meaning they eat eggs and dairy....does that mean they don't eat fish? :jameo: I'm so confoosed!