Vets!

ancientmariner

Hello Branson
PREMO Member
I cannot recall that particular vehicle - but I do remember the International Scout we were given as a duty vehicle - 4W drive - was a blast to rip around Asmara....that thing was a tank.....
As I recall we used a bulldozer to make sure that van never came out of there without cutting it apart. None of us had ever driven a bulldozer before so that was fun. Driving the 60 passenger buses on mail runs was cool too.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
As I recall that Scout was LTJG Spatts vehicle. I grabbed it from the motor pool whenever I could. I loved to drive it too.

Well, I was ripping through town one afternoon with three other off-duty Rm's and I smashed into a civilian Ethie vehicle. My fault, my bad.

Fortunately, no injuries to either party or damage to the Scout, but totaled the local vehicle (huge frame up front helped there) The remedy: the JAG officer in Greece (who oversaw our legal issues), gave the local his pick of vehicles we had impounded that were left behind.

He chose a very nice Carmen Ghia, thus ending that saga.

Whew, I was relieved.

I saw your pic in the cruise book.

ancientmariner

Hello Branson
PREMO Member
Well, I was ripping through town one afternoon with three other off-duty Rm's and I smashed into a civilian Ethie vehicle. My fault, my bad.

Fortunately, no injuries to either party or damage to the Scout, but totaled the local vehicle (huge frame up front helped there) The remedy: the JAG officer in Greece (who oversaw our legal issues), gave the local his pick of vehicles we had impounded that were left behind.

He chose a very nice Carmen Ghia, thus ending that saga.

Whew, I was relieved.

I saw your pic in the cruise book.
I looked pretty serious in that picture. Must have been a bad day. Do you remember when CDR Noggle streaked through the Officers Club?

b23hqb

PREMO Member
I looked pretty serious in that picture. Must have been a bad day. Do you remember when CDR Noggle streaked through the Officers Club?

Looking at that picture, you looked pretty military in the new hat/uniform combo.

No, do not remember seeing Nogggle at that time, because I was not allowed in the O club, being enlisted. But I heard about that vicious rumor:evil:

I do remember streaking, along with about 6 others, right smack dab through an Officers vs. whoever softball game - from the Navy barracks, straight through the 1st base gate to the left field fence, into coats and blankets and refuge in housing units while the SP's tried to track us down..

What a rush! Was not called well hung Young for nothing......at least by so-called witness's.....

And we got away with it!

Last edited:

ancientmariner

Hello Branson
PREMO Member
Looking at that picture, you looked pretty military in the new hat/uniform combo.

No, do not remember seeing Nogggle at that time, because I was not allowed in the O club, being enlisted. But I heard about that vicious rumor:evil:

I do remember streaking, along with about 6 others, right smack dab through an Officers vs. whoever softball game - from the Navy barracks, straight through the 1st base gate to the left field fence, into coats and blankets and refuge in housing units while the SP's tried to track us down..

What a rush! Was not called well hung Young for nothing......at least by so-called witness's.....

And we got away with it!
We got away with a lot. I hated to leave. I had an Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser Station Wagon the I bought from an EN1 that worked in the Motor Pool. It was a cool car to go to Masawa in.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I was plumber my first 2.5 years ('85 - '88) and was in Prime Beef. I hated it. Palletizing was the worst. Of course I always hated getting called at midnight to start an exercise. But working CE was great. Some of the toughest and hardest workers.

Palletizing cargo for deployment, or laying the AM-2 matting for Rapid Runway Repair?

Both sides of the question, I was usually on a front loader or all-terrain forklift... :yay:

acommondisaster

Palletizing cargo for deployment, or laying the AM-2 matting for Rapid Runway Repair?

Both sides of the question, I was usually on a front loader or all-terrain forklift... :yay:

ugh.... i used to HATE palletizing our loads for trips. Done by hand at both ends of trips. Then we'd have to unload it by hand into trucks when we landed and then unload the trucks. Long long days (and/or nights). I'm not sure what a forklift or frontloader is.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
You guys talking about your days....anyone else been on a boomer or any of the 41 For Freedom?

Actually, sorta, yes.

When I went back into the reserves in '84, I was assigned to NR Det COMSUBRON 16, NRC St Pete, Fl.

Our gaining command was COMSBRON 16, USS Canopus, Charleston.

While there in 1985 during our two weeks AT, I was underway for a four day training cruise onboard USS Vallejo, SSBN 658. They needed some propellermen (MM), of which we had a few, and an RM, which was me.

Four days was enough. I like fresh air, and don't really mind being called a target.

PsyOps

Pixelated

How could I forget about RRR. I remember doing that crap down at Camp Rudder in the dead of summer - 95+ degrees with 95% humidity - in full chem. gear get up. The stuff was so bent up it wouldn’t connect together. You’d get the tongue-and-groove joints to go in then have to stomp on it to get it lay down flat. People were passing out left and right from heat exhaustion. What a joy.

Last edited:

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
ugh.... i used to HATE palletizing our loads for trips. Done by hand at both ends of trips. Then we'd have to unload it by hand into trucks when we landed and then unload the trucks. Long long days (and/or nights). I'm not sure what a forklift or frontloader is.

By hand, wow, I sympathize...every unit I was with was well-equipped with cargo handling equipment, except the Comsec squadron. Then again, we didn't have anything there that weighed over 50#.

Asmodeus

....=o&o>
USAF E-6 (4th Generation - Army Signal, Army Air, USAF & USAF)
Active duty Aug 1981-Sep 2000
Walked away for several reason. 2 of them: Didn't want to extend for 2 years to accept E-7. Didn't want to retire and have my ex come on this board and tell how she was getting 1/2 of my retirement pay. :razz:

3704 BMTS - Lackland AFB, Tx Aug 81
4th CSG - Seymour Johnson, NC. 81-83
15th ABS - Wheeler AFB, Hi 83-85
HQ AFMPC - Randolph AFB, TX 85-91
15 MSSQ - Hickam AFB, Hi 91-95
DIA - Bolling AFB, DC 95-2000
Two years in the USAFR IMA @ DIA Sep 00-Sep 02
Had to advance on Inactive due to civilian job travel.

5th Generation, my son is a USAF E-3 stationed at RAF Mildenhall, UK... and my son-in-law is a Navy E-3 stationed at Whidbey, NAS....

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Bob

ET1
1978 - 1987
SUBRON 10 and USS Fulton (AS-11) New London CT
USS John Hancock (DD-981) Charleston SC

1987-present
Field Engineer Norden Systems
Field Engineer Tracor/BAE
Design Engineer Tracor/BAE
Configuration Manager Tracor/BAE
Logistician Veda, Inc
Project Manager Veridian/Wyle Labs
Program Analyst RBC Inc
Program Manager USN Civ PMA-264

Got out after 8-1/2 years because I didn't survive a battle in command politics on DD-981. Walked out the main gate with Honorable Discharge on 15 APR 1987 and walked back in through it on 16 APR 1987 as a Field Engineer. No regrets - quite the contrary! It's been a good career.

Last edited: