Virtue Signaling Credit Cards

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Just had an online purchase from a well-known and long-standing gun supplies company, Brownells, rejected by a Truist Bank VISA card. I'd heard this was becoming a "thing", in response partly to government pressure. First time it's hit home though.

Interestingly too.....using my debit card from same bank went through OK.

Tech

Just had an online purchase from a well-known and long-standing gun supplies company, Brownells, rejected by a Truist Bank VISA card. I'd heard this was becoming a "thing", in response partly to government pressure. First time it's hit home though.

Check if you have any restrictions on it like amount or geographical. Some American purchases maybe handled over seas.

Clem72

I think the difference there is that the debit is using your money, they are just the middle-man handling the exchange. The credit card is THEIR money, that you have promised to pay back at some time in the future. Same reason you can buy lotto tickets with debit but not credit. They can say what they will and wont lend you money to buy.

I think it's kind of silly to limit things that aren't illegal, because then they have made a political statement and will now be open to criticism from both sides (they limited something I like, i'm gonna boycott them. They limited something I hate, but missed 10 other directly related things that I also hate, i'm gonna boycott them).

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I think the difference there is that the debit is using your money, they are just the middle-man handling the exchange. The credit card is THEIR money, that you have promised to pay back at some time in the future. Same reason you can buy lotto tickets with debit but not credit. They can say what they will and wont lend you money to buy.

I think it's kind of silly to limit things that aren't illegal, because then they have made a political statement and will now be open to criticism from both sides (they limited something I like, i'm gonna boycott them. They limited something I hate, but missed 10 other directly related things that I also hate, i'm gonna boycott them).
In another interesting "aside", I can find most Brownell products on eBay or through Amazon...and then the CC (or Paypal) works fine. I'd prefer to deal directly with businesses like Brownells, Midway, Sportsmans Guide etc for my shooting and gunsmithing supplies.

Clem72

Where?? Any time I have ever bought a scratcher or lottery ticket it has ALWAYS been cash only :sshrug:
I cannot remember a time in the last 10 years or so that I had to use cash. Easiest way is to look for the lotto machines, they all take debit. Maybe you are shopping in places where the cashier is locked away from the "customers" behind bullet-proof glass?