Visited Smith Island

steppinthrax

It's a charter fishing boat..one of very,very many we have in this general area. Capt. Butch's just happens to be one of the larger and better equipped and so he does the cruises in addition to "just fishing". There are a couple of other well-appointed charter boats that will do day cruises too.

We typically go fishing with 6 to 8 people in his boat. So around $100 a head plus the mate's tip. Cheap recreation by any standard.

But I would not fish, It's more transit. I simply get on sit down and get off.

I asked her some questions as far as how people get too from the island. I know those on that island are not rich or even middle by most standards. She indicate they work more/less with Capt Taylor. The kids get to/from transit as well to school. Between there and Crisfield, MD.

Bonehead

True..I always considered that fairly deep for the bay and Potomac though. The main shipping channel in that area is 55-65'.

I study waves for a living..marine engineer and all that rot. Waves formed in deeper water become much larger/steeper when they travel in to shallower water because the energy entrained in the wave field (which extends significantly below the water surface in "deep" conditions) remains largely constant. So on a trip from Piney Point to Smith Island, for example, the worst seas you may encounter are often going to be those in the shallowest water, depending on wind strength and direction of course. That very effect tears up our island property when storms bring heavy winds from the SE that build "only" 3-4' waves over the several miles of fetch..that then "stand up" to become 6 footers and more when they encounter the very shallow water in cove in front of our shoreline.

Good info thanks. Most of my time was trans ocean blue water stuff.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Thanks for the info.

I just called the number on the top of that website, a nice woman answered. This is the way the conversation went.

Q: Hello do you do tours to Smith Island?
A: Yes we do

Q: How much would it be fore 4 people to run to and from Smith Island
A: Oh about $800.00 dollars.

:jameo::jameo::jameo::jameo::jameo::jameo::shocking::shocking::shocking::shocking::shocking:

I'm guessing $800 if you are on a private cruise out to the island..

NO WAY would I pay $200 a head to go out there..

Thought the Scheduled Boat ride(s) were like $30?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
True..I always considered that fairly deep for the bay and Potomac though. The main shipping channel in that area is 55-65'.

I study waves for a living..marine engineer and all that rot. Waves formed in deeper water become much larger/steeper when they travel in to shallower water because the energy entrained in the wave field (which extends significantly below the water surface in "deep" conditions) remains largely constant. So on a trip from Piney Point to Smith Island, for example, the worst seas you may encounter are often going to be those in the shallowest water, depending on wind strength and direction of course. That very effect tears up our island property when storms bring heavy winds from the SE that build "only" 3-4' waves over the several miles of fetch..that then "stand up" to become 6 footers and more when they encounter the very shallow water in cove in front of our shoreline.

Due to the gravitational force on the wombulation sine generation, waves get YUUUGE when they get close to the littoral shelf of the upper dresserage..

Scientific explanation of what he said..

black dog

Free America
Due to the gravitational force on the wombulation sine generation, waves get YUUUGE when they get close to the littoral shelf of the upper dresserage..

Explanation from a sailboater, when water has nowhere to go,,,, It goes up.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Gits downright snotty in them waves when they fetch up on the shallows...cause a feller to lose his beer or maybe even stove in a plank or two...

If ya really want to get technical.

steppinthrax

Cost to the boat owner pretty much the same either way. :shrug:

It would be more beneficial to Smith Island residents if the State took over with kinda like a ferry service that ran several times a day. It would bring more commerce into that area and would build the area up a bit, but I guess there will be a lot of resistance. I know they are supposed to be creating some sea wall to prevent additional erosion.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
It would be more beneficial to Smith Island residents if the State took over with kinda like a ferry service that ran several times a day. It would bring more commerce into that area and would build the area up a bit, but I guess there will be a lot of resistance. I know they are supposed to be creating some sea wall to prevent additional erosion.

The population is down to only about 250.