Watch out for cyclists on Saturday

bilbur

The cyclist hate here is truly terrifying. Shame on people out getting exercise and not burning gas and expecting to be treated safely. The nerve.

If people want to ride bikes, that is great but do it safely and don't endanger everyone else on the road while you are doing it. The ones who don't use the designated bike lanes or ride the white line even though there is plenty of shoulder or ride in the middle of the road should expect that people are going to cuss them and think they are the biggest jerks in the world. If there is no shoulder than just get over as much as safely possible, is this really too much to ask?

MMDad

Lem Putt
The cyclist hate here is truly terrifying. Shame on people out getting exercise and not burning gas and expecting to be treated safely. The nerve.

You have to admit that there are maybe 10% of cyclists that give the rest a bad name. You know the ones - riding against traffic, riding in the middle of the road, riding at night with no lighting and wearing all black, and those who want to assert their right to slow traffic when they could easily cooperate and let traffic flow.

A little courtesy goes a long way from both sides. The traffic rules are not difficult to follow, and if everyone did follow them then we would all be safer and traffic would flow more smoothly.

You have to admit that there are maybe 10% of cyclists that give the rest a bad name. You know the ones - riding against traffic, riding in the middle of the road, riding at night with no lighting and wearing all black, and those who want to assert their right to slow traffic when they could easily cooperate and let traffic flow.

A little courtesy goes a long way from both sides. The traffic rules are not difficult to follow, and if everyone did follow them then we would all be safer and traffic would flow more smoothly.
Sure, and the same thing can be said about people in cars. I follow the rules when Im riding.

glhs837

Power with Control

Being treated safely is a two way street. Boy and I were driving to Cooks last night, and the female bike rider, out of an eight foot shoulder lane, chose to keep her left handlebar about six inches in from the white line , leaving six feet of clear and clean shoulder between her and the edge of the pavement. Son, who is sixteen and learning and was driving, asked me why she didnt stay over more towards the center of the shoulder lane. Told him some cyclists do that because there is more debris farther from roadway, increasing the chances they will get a flat, some do it to assert their right to that space. Others just dont care.

"But it's safety Dad, the way people drive down here, isn't a flat better than being flat?" I had no answer for him. Just like I dot get the pairs/multiples of riders who refuse to single file when traffic approaches, even though it means that they then have a handlebar right on the while line. I know I can place my fender precisely enough to not endanger them, but I see how many folks seem to treat the white shoulder line like a guide rail for their right tire and would never ride my bike any closer to that than I had to.