Way to go, Maryland!

Our grid running completely on wind and solar by 2035! Then "net zero" greenhouse emissions by 2045! Our future is so bright we'll need to wear shades! :cool:

And we will kick this off by shutting down the Brandon Shores coal power plant, which currently serving 65 million consumers, before figuring out where the replacement power will be coming from.... that'll teach us! :clap:

Democratic Gov. Wes Moore, who entered office in January, has called for the state's power grid to be entirely powered by green energy by 2035 through reducing energy consumption and "supercharging investments" in wind and solar developments.

As part of that agenda, the state last year enacted the Climate Solutions Now Act which requires Maryland to achieve a state-level "net zero" greenhouse emissions mandate by 2045.

Blister

An electric water heater pulls about 5-6000 watts, a 1 ton heat pump is about 3000 watts. Oven 3000+ watts, stove top 2000 watts, microwave 1500 watts, and refrigerator a refrigerator about another 400 watts. That little toy is not much good on an all electric house.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
An electric water heater pulls about 5-6000 watts, a 1 ton heat pump is about 3000 watts. Oven 3000+ watts, stove top 2000 watts, microwave 1500 watts, and refrigerator a refrigerator about another 400 watts. That little toy is not much good on an all electric house.
It's not designed to run everything at once in single-unit config, and they say so. It's for emergency backup, and in that vein, you conserve by turning off everything not needed to extend the battery life. To run a whole house like you're still on the grid is a pipe dream today.

They do have a dual config that pushes 12,000watts.

And most water heaters only pull 4200watts. Mine is 600.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
It's not designed to run everything at once in single-unit config, and they say so. It's for emergency backup, and in that vein, you conserve by turning off everything not needed to extend the battery life. To run a whole house like you're still on the grid is a pipe dream today.

They do have a dual config that pushes 12,000watts.

And most water heaters only pull 4200watts. Mine is 600.
I doubt, in the event of a total electrical power failure, you would even want to waste your resources on heating up a tank of water. Instead, you might boil a pot of water and use that to clean yourself.

We do have a gas powered generator that we bought when ACE used to have a fantastic rewards program. We bought a pellet stove and a bunch of other household things one year and the rewards added up to nearly pay for all the costs of a top of the line gas generator.

We have used it more for yard work than we have used it for power outages.

I would have totally put solar panels on my house if they would have come on automatically in the event of a power outage but they don't.

When I was looking at solar generators, I was amazed at how many set up the system to be used in an outside shed/garage or barn. They seemed to work well.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I doubt, in the event of a total electrical power failure, you would even want to waste your resources on heating up a tank of water. Instead, you might boil a pot of water and use that to clean yourself.

We do have a gas powered generator that we bought when ACE used to have a fantastic rewards program. We bought a pellet stove and a bunch of other household things one year and the rewards added up to nearly pay for all the costs of a top of the line gas generator.

We have used it more for yard work than we have used it for power outages.

I would have totally put solar panels on my house if they would have come on automatically in the event of a power outage but they don't.

When I was looking at solar generators, I was amazed at how many set up the system to be used in an outside shed/garage or barn. They seemed to work well.
I got a hybrid heater for just that reason, after being without power twice for a week at a time and having to find places to shower. Current draw is minimal (600w) in heat pump mode only, and once the tank is up to temp, turn it off. It will hold heat for a long time. Same with my pellet stove, draws far less power than the oil burner and house fan. It's what I heat with all winter anyway, so no change there.

One HUGE advantage of a solar generator is the clean output. A generator (<8000w) typically has a THD (total harmonic distortion) of 20% or more, and is not a steady 60hz. A solar generator (those with pure sign wave output) will have a THD of less than 5%. Anything over 5% and sensitive electronics may suffer.

One of the reasons panels are placed on structures other than the house is because of building codes and permits. Far more involved to put them on the house, inspections, etc... If they go on an out-building, installs are more lenient. You can always run an extension cord back to the house. The other reason is the SO. Easier to convince an install on the workshed as opposed to the house without getting a divorce.

The Anker unit can accept 2400watts from solar alone, that offsets a lot of usage during the day.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Got it. It all looks interesting.

Youtube is like TV for me. I have some unusual follows but I'd rather watch lawn and garden companies transform yards, a couple in Mississippi building a farm and home mostly off grid, etc. than anything on TV today.