What businesses are missing in Southern Maryland

scotty62

Dunkirk Hardware and Home Center

There is a new hardware store in Dunkirk. Its Huge. Its behind Giant and Walmart. Owned by the same guy who owns the Deale Hardware Store.
Been open a month now. They are having a grand opening special day on May 5th. all day lonng there will be moon bounces, face painting, music and food. Lots of specials. People are in Love with this place. Easy to get to and easy to park.

Please say no to a big box store where the old Calvert middle school was. I can't even begin to imagine the traffic on rt 4 and on Dares Beach Road.

black dog

Free America
Thats easy Sir

We agree on the range. I'm curious what is a 'good gun store' in your opinion..as compared to the ones around the area now?

Atlantic Guns in Silver Spring or Rockville, Huge family owned sence 1951, Fulltime gunsmith on staff and 4 to 6 knowledgeable salesman at all times.
And a stocking dealer of just about anything you might need.

Also Hendershots in Hancock or the new store in Hagerstown. Same as above, Huge stocking dealer of quality firearms.

vince77

anybody who lived in Calvert County 25 years ago will tell you the rural, idyllic lifestyle along Route 4 is long gone, that battle was lost years ago....

Hank

my war
anybody who lived in Calvert County 25 years ago will tell you the rural, idyllic lifestyle along Route 4 is long gone, that battle was lost years ago....

Am I missing something? Rt. 4 and areas in Calvert are still pretty rural... The "city" in Dunkirk and P. Fred are tiny!

TPD

the poor dad
Am I missing something? Rt. 4 and areas in Calvert are still pretty rural... The "city" in Dunkirk and P. Fred are tiny!

Yeah - you missed the single lane road from Solomons to Broomes Island Road. Safeway and PF Motors along with 7-Eleven and one or two other gas stations were about the only major businesses in Prince Frederick.

Hank

my war
Yeah - you missed the single lane road from Solomons to Broomes Island Road. Safeway and PF Motors along with 7-Eleven and one or two other gas stations were about the only major businesses in Prince Frederick.

You need some growth....geez. It's still pretty "country" (rural)...

take13pro

The Village of Hughesville?

Whatever happen to The Village of Hughesville? I agree a mall is something I would not be interested in. But an old fasion walk down mainstreet with small specialty stores would be nice. I went there a few weeks ago and thought what a shame to have such an under utilized location.

randymo1965

Business

A real grocery store in northern st marys like a Safeway or Giant and some restaurants in the northern section other than a mom and pop.

MarieB

I'd love a Trader Joe's.

For any one else wanting one, just go out to their web page and put in a request for them to consider putting one locally. If they get enough requests, they might....just might.....actually place one here.

Here is Trader Joe's Location Request Form: Trader Joe's

Isn't there an Aldis nearby? I seem to recall seeing one in my travels. They are owned by the same company as Trader Joes. (Aldis is nothing like TJ's though - I don't care for it) Many times if you see an Aldis open up somewhere, a Trader Joes opens within a few years or so.

I would actually like to see a Pei Wei rather than Pf Changs

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Whatever happen to The Village of Hughesville? I agree a mall is something I would not be interested in. But an old fasion walk down mainstreet with small specialty stores would be nice. I went there a few weeks ago and thought what a shame to have such an under utilized location.

We can't have nice things because we allow the savages to ruin it.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I'm going to go against the general trend of less corporate and more M&P, I'd like to have a Royal Farms, they have some of the best chicken around and they sell the cookies that my wife likes. If you like you can remove Sheetz and put it there.

fatratcat

How about an Amish Market in a building? Crazy thought...I know. It's better than a seasonally spread out shanty town in front of the Charlotte Hall Library. Annapolis, Upper Marlboro, and Laurel already have them. Ironically, we actually have Amish folks living here...and no permanent market. Too big a leap for the local economic development people to make? How about this idea? Rather than trashing the old McKay's...turn it into a year round Amish Market. It alreadt has refrigeration and a buggy trail leading to it?

davey

its across from sheetz and chancellors run road in st. marys...

and a rock climbing wall WOULD be great..and a crossfit gym would be neat too..there is a new indoor sports complex on rt4..they have camps and stuff for kids..its just a little far for me personally.

If you're interested in CrossFit, I am the owner of CrossFit Lakás, St. Mary's County's first official CrossFit affiliate. Check us out at CrossFit Lakás.

kerriellen

If you're interested in CrossFit, I am the owner of CrossFit Lakás, St. Mary's County's first official CrossFit affiliate. Check us out at CrossFit Lakás.

Checking out your site. I'm not ready to start yet, but I am facinated by CrossFit. Not sure if I want to commit to having to go somewhere to exercise.

Kerri

BernieP

Resident PIA
Cable company other than Metrocrap

You should understand that in most areas (if not all), the cable providered is waarded a franchise based on a proposal they sumbit to the local government.
In our case, it's St. Mary's County. On the last recompete for that franchise I was told that Metrocast (by any other name) was the only one to bid on the franchise.
The only competition is satellite or Verizon FIOS. In St. Mary's that means you can go with Directv or Dish Netwrk. (for TV)
Neither rprovide phone service
HughsNet provides satellite internet. You can't count on Verizion for DSL because it's not available in all areas because it's based on distance to the switch.

We can wish for a lot, but in the end it's our own habits that have killed off business or don't make them profitable to open here.
We had a bookstore but it's gone, in fact even the big box bookstores are suffering because of the internet.
Retailers study an area before they decide to spend money to open a store.
They study our buying habits and do the trade off between what it will cost versus the potential for sales.

Don't under estimate the power of government to influence these decisions in a negative way. Maryland has a terrible reputation when it comes to busines. Taxes and regulations. I'm not sure how St. Mary's stand when it comes to regulations, but I know people who have tried or opened businesses in Calver and they have complained bitterly about overly restrictive regulations and basically harrassment from code enforcement officials. Items that defy common sense.

chuckster

IMFUBARED
Booth's Corner Farmers Market

How about an Amish Market in a building? Crazy thought...I know. It's better than a seasonally spread out shanty town in front of the Charlotte Hall Library. Annapolis, Upper Marlboro, and Laurel already have them. Ironically, we actually have Amish folks living here...and no permanent market. Too big a leap for the local economic development people to make? How about this idea? Rather than trashing the old McKay's...turn it into a year round Amish Market. It alreadt has refrigeration and a buggy trail leading to it?

This place is always packed!! Great Food and Bargins!!! Worth the trip

Booth's Corner Farmers Market - History of Booth's Corner

Booth's Corner Farmers Market was founded in the 1930's by a farmer named Earl Phillips. His 14 acre farm, complete with wooden barn and sprawling fields, served as the sale grounds for Amish farmers and other merchants who brought their goods by truck and wagon to the Market during the Great Depression.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB

Calvert tried an indoor Farmer's Market in Prince Frederick. It got ruined when they allowed crafters in who pushed out the farmers.

The local Amish probably don't have a year round product base. The market in Annapolis is Amish/Mennonites from Lancaster.